Many years ago advertisers realized that the comic strip was a great vehicle to promote their products. During the 1950's it was a favorite medium for cigarette manufacturers and R J Reynolds were at the forefront. Their Camel brand already sponsored the Phil Silvers Show. Ernie Bilko and the rest of the cast were ideal material for a comic strip drawn by Bob Bugg. Others featured in the Camel strips include:
- Hollywood great Henry Fonda
- Exporers Lewis N. Cotlow and Nichol Smith
- War Workers Jean Curran, Fieda Traynor and a WAVE named Phyllis
- Marguerite Piazza soprano, entertainer and later a philanthropist
- Johnnie Parsons winner of the Indianapolis 500 in 1950
- Ruth Kyle MacDonnell who featured on the cover of Time magazine
Captain Ben Dix was sponsored by The Bendix Aviation Corporation. The World War II strip has a "I know my Instruments" panel featuring strange and wonderful appliances, to cut on the dotted line and save!
Philip Morris contribute to this section with Duke Handy. The strip that only lasted 6 months during 1958 was written by Allen Saunders and illustrated by Alex Kotzky. Fists and cigarettes abound in this series!!