in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Foreign language comics

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Foreign language comics  (Read 12732 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Foreign language comics
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »

I know all the titles on GAC are English language and not all are American------and here comes the but-------, but I also collect French, Spanish and Italian superhero comics. So, would anyone be interested in the adventures of Wonderman, Fulguros, Yelmo Negro, De Tweede Pimpernel, La Bolide Fantome, Fantax, Amok, Zar'o and many more?  Are they public domain?  Not sure of all of them but Fantax may not be.
Or, am I just being silly 'cos there is so much work still to do on North American pubs?
Not sure if this question is in the right place and I'm not sure how to work all those little faces.  Nor am I  experienced in this posting lark.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: Foreign language comics
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:28:43 PM »

While I think we'd all love to see the material (I know I would), the problems with non-US copyrights are enormous.  The EU Life+70 rule basically means that everybody involved with the book needed to keel over in 1938 or earlier for the book to be in the public domain.  In parts of Latin America, the term is even longer.  Unfortunately, that means needing to know when possibly-obscure creators died to make a valid call, which is irritating AND morbid.

If the book was also published in the United States at the same time, it would have to hold to the same rules as everything else, but the odds of a non-English book here?  Not too good.

I seem to recall that the general policy was to just ignore them for the duration, until someone who knows the scene better came along.

(Until that point, you might want to look into contacting Richard Boucher, who occasionally posts out here.  He has similar interests and I believe he was looking into the possibility of maing similar material available, including Fantax.)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:40:24 AM »

Thanks jcolag, not only does GAC provide me with great comics, it also educates me and I'm supposed to know a lot about the hobby and I was completely unaware of the EU Life+70 rule.  Oh well, back to raking through the comic stalls at the Palma flea market and other salubrious spots.
For anyone who still isn't totally bored by this by now, I've found in the Netherlands, in comic shops, a number of recently photocopied issues of early Dutch titles, e.g. De Moker, De Tweede Pimpernel & De Kat beeldromans. These I suppose are likely to be of dubious origin as they were originally published less than 70 years ago.
Also, if anyone is interested, the bloke who runs Fantasmak in Paris, has published material on Fantax and is a bit of an expert on the subject.
I'll shut up now.
ip icon Logged

Lanfeust

message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:14:43 PM »

Fantax is being republished nowadays by Tanguy Mouchot - Pierre Mouchot's grandson. First to come is a facsimile of Fantax's first issue, it costs 35
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:23:41 AM »

Thank you for the information. Stuff like this always gratefully received.  I've managed to obtain over the years numbers 9 & 13 of the original French editions plus the Italian facsimiles, 1 to 25 (don't know if there were more Italian facsimile issues, but I think there were more in the original French run?).  Also issues 2, 7, 8, of the 1959 small landscape French reprints. It's odd that the Italian facs. have different covers, never been sure why as the French issues I've seen always looked rather good.
I'll try and find out how to buy the reissues although with the state of the pound I'm not sure if I can afford it.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:27:54 AM »

Sorry, it's early for me and haven't had a cup of coffee yet but I should have said isues 1 to 26 of the Italian facsimiles.  Probably makes no difference to anyone reading this but it does to me.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »

Quite alright, paw broon. Most of us that hang our hats here on GAUK have a general leaning to detail and appreciate your clarification.

Cheers

Sorry, it's early for me and haven't had a cup of coffee yet but I should have said isues 1 to 26 of the Italian facsimiles.  Probably makes no difference to anyone reading this but it does to me.
ip icon Logged

Lanfeust

message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 07:05:53 PM »

I saw Tanguy Mouchot last saturday in Angoul
ip icon Logged

Lanfeust

message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:38:57 AM »

To finish with Fantax, Tanguy Mouchot said this morning an integral edition is scheduled at the end of the year. It will be a 6-volume collection, each gathering 6 or 7 issues, for 30
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 06:48:42 PM »

Or not to finish with Fantax, Lanfeust. Did you enjoy Angouleme?  It's been a few years since I last attended and it was great.  Managed to spend too much on comics and had a 30 minute commute to my hotel.
There is a bit of a mystery about Fantax.  I've been reading the intro. in the Maskar reprint poche - I Pocket de L'avventuroso #1 - and Gianni Bono writes that there were only 24 Italian editions and that the French and Italian covers were the same.  Odd, as I have 26, and the covers are different.  Can you help with this?  If not, no problem, I'm just curious and happy to have the comics.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 06:51:45 PM »

By the way, thanks for the info.  I've had a look at the publicity.  Not sure about this one.  I wish it was released as a tpb or single reprint editions.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 08:47:39 PM »

I just posted a collection of Fantax on eBay. Here's an interior spread from the book:

and the link for the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=150325617507

To see all of my auctions, put JVJ into the search field.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 02:25:42 PM »

I know all the titles on GAC are English language and not all are American------and here comes the but-------, but I also collect French, Spanish and Italian superhero comics. So, would anyone be interested in the adventures of Wonderman, Fulguros, Yelmo Negro, De Tweede Pimpernel, La Bolide Fantome, Fantax, Amok, Zar'o and many more?  Are they public domain?  Not sure of all of them but Fantax may not be.
Or, am I just being silly 'cos there is so much work still to do on North American pubs?
Not sure if this question is in the right place and I'm not sure how to work all those little faces.  Nor am I  experienced in this posting lark.

While we might not be able to host the comics on the site if fans want to discuss the comics and their contents you could always start a thread in the comic talk forum posting covers and samples (a few pages) of the interior and list the contents of each issue. l am sure we would have a few collectors with similar interests and a lot of comic readers might not have seen the comics before and might find them interesting.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:27:47 PM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

giljourdan

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: giljourdan
message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »

Italian issues of Fantax are a litlle bit complex!!

in 1948, (june 30 exactly for the 1st number), the editor Giovanni de Leo tranalate Fantax and issued 24 numbers of french Fantax but with sometimes different covers. (these are equal to French Fantax 1 to 14 and 17 to 26).but in 1949, this edition is stopped.   
the fantax of De Leo was edited under the name "editions Western". (De Leo, Bonelli and Pierre  Mouchot).some of the covers (first ones) where drawed/painted by Mairani and only in Italia. the others where as the french original.
(i've got all the italian Fantax & French (except number one of course!) , i may exactly described which one are issued only in Italia.)

after this first edition, in fact, from 1947 to 1959, De leo reissued Fantax another time in Italian form : only 20 numbers this time.

and in 1975, Camillo Conti reissued another time the 24 italian Fantax + the missing french Fantax (with french covers) : 39 Fantax.

the ones on e-bay from italian sellers are certainly from 1975 or bootleg???i don't know.

hope that is more precise now;
thanks to gerard Thomassian from his SER encyclopedia!!! (from fantasmak library in France, Paris)
ip icon Logged

giljourdan

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 07:16:32 PM »

sorry : you must read for second italian edition :
from 1957 to 1959 (& not from 1947 to 1959)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 07:52:33 PM »

Italian issues of Fantax are a litlle bit complex!!

in 1948, (june 30 exactly for the 1st number), the editor Giovanni de Leo tranalate Fantax and issued 24 numbers of french Fantax but with sometimes different covers. (these are equal to French Fantax 1 to 14 and 17 to 26).but in 1949, this edition is stopped.   
the fantax of De Leo was edited under the name "editions Western". (De Leo, Bonelli and Pierre  Mouchot).some of the covers (first ones) where drawed/painted by Mairani and only in Italia. the others where as the french original.
(i've got all the italian Fantax & French (except number one of course!) , i may exactly described which one are issued only in Italia.)

after this first edition, in fact, from 1947 to 1959, De leo reissued Fantax another time in Italian form : only 20 numbers this time.

and in 1975, Camillo Conti reissued another time the 24 italian Fantax + the missing french Fantax (with french covers) : 39 Fantax.

the ones on e-bay from italian sellers are certainly from 1975 or bootleg???i don't know.

hope that is more precise now;
thanks to gerard Thomassian from his SER encyclopedia!!! (from fantasmak library in France, Paris)

Gil, the one on eBay from me (JVJ) is definitely the Camillo Conti reissue. There is a two page introduction (in Italian, and I am not an Italian seller, so I can't know what it says) with a reproduction of the cover of a 1969 (?) fanzine, so I know it's not original. No one's bidding, but here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=150325617507

I'll even deliver to Paris.

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »

JVJ, These are the issues I have.  It's great to find others who are interested in non-American heroes. Still doesn't explain why there seem to be 26, not 24 reprints, perhaps 25 & 26 are bootlegs?  As to the dates, some of the early numbers have an additional stamp at the bottom of the back page listing publisher as Edizioni Camillo Conti - Roma and saying they are a supplement to Albi Dell'Avventura,  and a legal date of 1974, so they were published 1975.
Thanks giljourdan for the invaluable info.  Some of the covers of the above mentioned are signed "almay". 

So, should we keep going over on comic talk?  Great, if I can figure out how to post images as well as words.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 12:48:39 AM »

If you want to post images, Gil,
you have to have someplace to host them on the Internet. I have my own website, so I upload the images and then paste the URL of the jpeg file into my "reply" here. You just click on the second icon in the second row (directly below the Italic button) and it will insert the HTML code for you. You paste the URL to your picture where the cursor gets positioned and then you'll have your image there AFTER you post it. It would be nice if the [Preview] button actually worked, but it doesn't.

I've been enjoying European comics since the early 1970s. When I was in Paris last year, I got to meet Sergio Toppi (I have many of the Sgt. Kirk Italian magazines that he did the covers for) and actually had dinner with Moebius and Jean-Pierre Dionnet. I think I met Mssr. Giraud back in 1973. I know that I met Tardi and Druillet that year. Last year at a San Jose Super Con I met Esteban Maroto and San Julian. I will be seeing Maroto's daughter and son-in-law next month in Paris when I deliver to them the copy of my magazine, ImageS #1, that they won on eBay. With luck I will see M. Giraud again. Though I've never met him, I have corresponded and worked with Alberto Becattini for many years.

I am not so much involved in the characters of Eurocomics since I don't speak (or read) French or Italian or Spanish, but I have many issues of Pilote (old and new) and even a few Italian comic magazines - AND I LOVE THE ART. Yes, we can definitely talk about them here. I look forward to hearing from you.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:58:48 AM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

giljourdan

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »

a link to expalin french Fantax : (in english)

www.coolfrenchcomics.com/fantax.htm
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 08:17:04 PM »

I know I am late to this conversation but I am definitely interested. I have a number of issues of Fantax in Italian and also the character La Arana Verde of which I also have several issues of. I have about another 400 other various comics in Spanish of different types mostly from the 1950's. I am interested in Maskar and other super hero comics from around the world like the Netherlands. I have contributed to the International Heroes site in the UK on occasion. I am currently seeking L' Asso Di Picchi for any of the 18 issues he was in. Let me know. I would like to trade, buy or scan. We can "deal". People here might know me to be very honest and helpful. Take care and God bless.

Kindly

Richard Boucher AKA MR Goldenage
PR Publications:
The 1st Heroic Age, The Good Guys & Gals of the Golden Age, The Greats of the Golden Age Reprints. TM & C PR Publications a division of Tamric Inc.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 01:33:37 AM »

Richard check with Paw on what you can upload. He also may have some books to trade
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »

Hello Richard. Great to have another fan of Euro heroes with us.  The more the merrier. 
First, uploading, and we need to keep in mind that L'Asso di Picche, for instance, is a Hugo Pratt book and there's no way we'd be able to host the great mans work on CB+.  I hesitate to mention this as you probably know more about it than me and that is that L'asso di Picche has been reprinted in Italy on tpb format in 3 volumes by Gruppo Editoriale La Vecchia and there is the Casterman book as well, in French (L'As de Pique).  But if you're looking for the originals, the reprints will probably pale into insignificance.
But I am a big fan of Fantax - you'll see from the above exchanges what I have.  Also, there are reasonably recent, perhaps current, reprints in France. So, that sort of counts it out.  Arana Verde (Green Spider) is a new one on me but I assume you've had it listed on International Heroes - I'll have a look later on.
Now, Maskar has always intrigued me, being a sort of watered down version of Fantax and a few years ago I bought on Ebay a small selection of striscie, the thick album issues, from 1964-5.  They weren't that expensive and I'm looking at I Mostri Verde as I write this.  Unfortunately I have no spares to trade. Sorry.
There is so much to get to from your post but a couple of things that interest me and we might well intersect on them,  are the Spanish (and French) reprints of British heroes - Ojo Magico; The Spider (also called, Blackman, Flierman etc.); Steel Claw (Main d'Acier); King Cobra, etc.  And, Dutch landscape newspaper strip reprints in text strip format e.g Aram; Kapitein Rob; Eric de Noorman.
( I have found in the Netherlands, versions of Italian comics e.g. Mister-X (not to be confused with the Italian hero with the atomic belt)
I'm starting to think about what to take to the next Glasgow mart but as it's some weeks away, I'll end up leaving it to the last minute as usual.  But I have looked out a couple of doublers of Eric de Noorman to display. As they are the bigger Belgian versions, they might not interest you.
Back to uploads and lots of Spanish original comics are perfectly acceptable, just watch out for DC Thomson reprints and Fleetway reprints from the '60's.  French and Italian comics I'd suggest giving us some info. on them before you start scanning - it's a bit of a minefield but, as with Spanish titles, lots of French landscape titles and their publishers are so forgotten and neglected that CB+ might be able to host them.
By the way, I have some contributions also on International Heroes.
Excuse the ramble, please and keep chatting.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »

Paw
Yoou would have to join my Yahoo ghetto group to see some of my spanish/south-central American comics as well as Fantax or two. Here is the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInternational02Universe/files/Genio%20Negro%20%28Black%20Genius%29/
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »

Thanks for the link.  Filled in the form.  Looking forward to seeing what's on there.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »

Richard, I had a look at L'Arana Verde, and it's Mexican  but I can't find any info. on it anywhere. Can you shed any light on it?  I notice the ibp has ads for reprints of American strips. 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.