in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hotspur Publishing Secret Service Series

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hotspur Publishing Secret Service Series  (Read 3940 times)

Brownededges

message icon
Hotspur Publishing Secret Service Series
« on: June 16, 2015, 06:04:32 PM »

This is my first post. My question regards three comics I bought on ebay in the above series, They are no 3 The Crime Syndicate, no 4 The Forgers and no 5 Smugglers Creek.

I've seen several of these in the past couple of years advertised on ebay and always wondered how ostensible 1940s comics could look so clean and bright and so, to assuage my curiosity I bought the aforementioned set.

Now these were only a few pounds and seem to be readily available; too available to my mind to be originals and as these were so new looking I can only assume that these are more recent reproductions.
Does anyone have any information about these?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:21:12 PM by Brownededges »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Hotspur Publishing Secret Service Series
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 02:24:04 PM »

Actually, they could be originals for, although the print run probably wasn't that big, copies were kept by publishers and some collectors, in really good nick.  As you probably have noticed, we have the 3 comics here on CB+
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2363
You could do worse than copy your question to
http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/index.php
There are very knowledgable folk on there who, I'm sure, could give lots more accurate info.
If you're not a member, just apply - it's free and joining up doesn't take long.  Bear in mind, some of them can be a bit "sharp".
Let us know how you get on.
ip icon Logged

Brownededges

message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:32:56 PM »

Thanks for your reply paw, it does cast a little light on the situation.

I think that one of the reasons I asked was because of the plethora of reproductions of 50s UK comics that seem to have appeared in the last few years making collecting items from this era a bit of a minefield. Not that this is my real area of interest these days. As a nice easy (HA!) retirement hobby I am trying to assemble a set of UK Classics Illustrated which will keep me occupied for some years to come.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 07:34:27 AM »

I've noticed on ebay that there are a lot of reproductions of old British comics and I got stuck with a photocopy of a Superthriller Ace Hart comic a while ago, which made me go back and check up on other offers.  But the Superthriller was noticeably different from the original and the Secret Service issues we have on site "look" original, albeit in excellent condition for their age.  The answer is, I don't know.
A complete set of British CI is going to cost a fair bit to to collect and mght be difficult to complete.  Good luck.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »

Hello Gents......

I don't know.....I've made quite a few really old books in bad shape look new....it's all in the scanning and a nice photo program to make them look better than the day they were made....probably.....anyways yes be leary of books too cheap to be real by all means and we're always here to help answer your ?'s.

Richard Boucher
Aka Mr_Goldenage
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.