in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A JVJ book scan - how to read the index cards for each...

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: A JVJ book scan - how to read the index cards for each...  (Read 30463 times)

bminor

• VIP
message icon
Re: A JVJ book scan - how to read the index cards for each...
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 03:53:42 AM »

I remember after my Dad discovered me spending all my ready money (earned from mowing the bank presidents lawn in our small town) on comics absolutely forbade me from buying ANY MORE!!
What did I do? Well, my bedroom was on the second floor of the house. After buying a few books, I would wait until evening, lower down a clean 5 quart plastic ice cream bucket. Go outside put the comics in it, (I can't remember where I stashed them until evening) then go upstairs and hoist them up into my room.
Wasn't I being the sneaky young guy.

ip icon Logged

bminor

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 04:09:33 AM »

A response to Rez on his game of covering up a small piece of the cover and guessing which book it is.
Stumbled on this site a long time ago and bookmarked it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=150077&page=2

It is your game guessing the comic book, it is a lot of fun and extremely hard!!!
ip icon Logged

DOC

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 06:02:34 PM »

I remember after my Dad discovered me spending all my ready money (earned from mowing the bank presidents lawn in our small town) on comics absolutely forbade me from buying ANY MORE!!
What did I do? Well, my bedroom was on the second floor of the house. After buying a few books, I would wait until evening, lower down a clean 5 quart plastic ice cream bucket. Go outside put the comics in it, (I can't remember where I stashed them until evening) then go upstairs and hoist them up into my room.
Wasn't I being the sneaky young guy.

It's amazing none of us became criminals, with all the sneaky techniques we learned.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 08:29:10 PM »

No one asked for the story but I'm going to tell it 'cause I want to.

Must have been somewhere in the late '60s when I get a phone call from my comic buddy telling me his dad was going to burn up his comics over something he'd done and he needed a place to stash them.

'Sure'.

So the plan was germinated to quickly make the transfer while dad was out of the house and he began his pilgrimage down the road as I hopped on my trusty Bendix kickback two-speed bicycle to meet him halfway.

To this day I can still see that lonesome figure trudging the road alongside the cornfield where I hid my bike to assist him with the load, and the look of desperation on his face as his little brother's Western Flyer red wagon performed a service far beyond it's designed expected use

in that his lifetime collected stacks of comics were in lopsided transport on the bed of that wagon.

He'd managed to locate the JIM 83 as he was a thor fan and had the whole collection up to whatever the date was at the time as well as being a completist with the FF, Avengers and NIckFury's TOS.

They remained in my room for a goodly while into the months if I recall correctly, giving me ample time to taste the fruit of Marvel as I was a DCer for the most part.

Needless to say when things got on an even keel at his house he was a happy camper to see the return of his books.
Ah, summer memories from the Jr.High age.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 01:44:13 AM »

And very much the kind of stuff we want to share here Rez. My parents never objected to me spending all my money on comics. My brother and sister did because they would have to share the candy they bought with me because I did not have any  ::) I was sly in my own way.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 06:08:46 AM »

Great story Rez.  Thanks for sharing to everyone.
:)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »

I just don't understand slabbing. I've met a couple of dealers who sell these abominations and their arguments are all about investment, profit and, I suppose, greed.  I was a dealer once upon a time and I'm pleased to say I never got involved with slabbed titles.  Although I am somewhat ashamed to say I was partly involved in the over ordering of certain titles like Valiant stuff, and I  know of one shop owner who so vastly overordered on X-Men 1 that he still has some in his garage.  It's not nice knowing you might have contributed to greedy investors even in a small way. Still not sure what was going on in my head.
That's a bit beside the point.
I was at primary school in the mid to late 1950's and that was when I found such characters as Ace Hart, Marvelman, The Phantom, Mandrake and lots more costumed heroes.  Remember, in Scotland at that time, you almost couldn't get American comics unless you were near a U.S. base or had relatives abroad who would send over newspaper strips  The availability of American characters was via U.K. reprints or Australian comics coming in as ballast from cargo ships.
When I really got the collecting bug (it's a bit like a wee addiction, don't you think?) and when I started studying for exams at secondary school, my mum decided comics were rotting my mind and flung the lot out.  So I've had to try to re-acquire some of those marvellous comics in adult life when I've had the cash available.  Although frustrating at times, it's been mostly a lot of fun.  And that's why we're involved, no?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »

The rest of the world may not understand the addiction but we here sure do. :D
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »

and I  know of one shop owner who so vastly overordered on X-Men 1 that he still has some in his garage.

heh.
I still have a couple boxes of Valiant's Turok#1 stashed away someplace bought at a dealers closing many years ago for peanuts.
Why? Don't have a reason.   ???
Maybe it was the shiny cover, I dunno.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 12:46:09 AM »

I have to laugh at just how far off-topic this thread had drifted.

Not that I mind, but reading a post about Valiant's Turok in this thread just makes me grin.  ;D ;D ;) ;) ::)

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 07:59:53 PM »

Now that's funny right there!
Sometimes I think it's a good thing to have a thread go haywire off topic now and then. Helps keep the sporadic impulses alive and well in the midst of an often catagorized and disciplined world.

I have to laugh at just how far off-topic this thread had drifted.

Not that I mind, but reading a post about Valiant's Turok in this thread just makes me grin.  ;D ;D ;) ;) ::)

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 06:53:10 PM »

This has more to do with JVJ index cards than most recent (?) posts here...
Specifically, the lack or lack of clarity of cards sent out with 3/28/2011 round of books to Geo, JonTheScanner, BuilderBoy, Snard and TwoByFour.

Usually, secretly, behind the scenes, I review every book I send out to be scanned and either update or redo the index card to be certain it reflects our (Hames Ware and my) current knowledge. You guys don't see anything except a card with data on it, but there's a LOT of time involved. I'd usually break it down to a couple of evenings work and use it as a diversion and a chance to revisit my own comics. Usually, boxes go out sporadically to a scanner here and then to a scanner there, so the task never builds beyond endurance.

This time, five boxes went out in a lot and I have been struggling with computer woes for nearly three months - which has put me WAY behind in my life. Plus I'm getting ready for our spring trip to Paris. So I grabbed what cards I had for the books that were mailed and tossed them in the respective boxes.

My point is that the cards for these books are less consistent, less legible, and perhaps haven't been even looked at in DECADES. The ones that are there are better than nothing, and if anyone has a SPECIFIC question about a story in one of them, I'm still available for an opinion. And I wanted to apologize for the raw state of the cards and the fact that quite a few issues don't have them. C'est la vie.

Paix, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »

No worries, Jim.  A few of the Targets didn't have the cards, but I'm including them when they're available.  Luckily Target was better than most in having creator credits in the book.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.