in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The JVJ Postage Fund

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

topic icon Author Topic: The JVJ Postage Fund  (Read 95285 times)

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
The JVJ Postage Fund
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:27:47 AM »

I'll look forward to seeing them back, Jon.
I'd like to discuss the matter of postage with you (and Geo and Eric). I am hoping that I can get reimbursed for the cost of shipping the books to you guys. Perhaps GAC can dig up some funds or there are some rich members who can help finance this project. I'm already over $50 into this and I can just see the numbers leaping skyward as time goes by. Despite the fact that I go to Paris, I'm NOT wealthy and am retired, living on a fixed income (and deeply worried about THAT, as well any other of you retired people might be in this economy). If some contribution to these postage costs could happen, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

My PayPal account is orders@bpib.com

JVJ Publishing / Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr.
3809 Laguna Ave / Palo Alto, CA 94306-2629
Ph. 650-493-1191  jim@bpib.com

http://www.bpib.com/images.htm
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 01:19:21 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
The JVJ Postage Fund
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:54:42 AM »

There was some talk in the past of creating a fund to purchase needed books Jim.
I'm thinking this idea could do more good going to postage for you.

Would someone like to pick up the ball here?  Do you perhaps have a Paypal account people could donate towards Jim?  It seems to be the easiest way for international members to trade funds that I've heard of.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:27:57 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
The JVJ Postage Fund
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:17:13 AM »

Please realize that this is NOT critical, Yoc.
I could just foresee a future when all of my discretionary comic budget is going to postage instead of new old comics. And I wouldn't like that. Although with the DOW closing under 8000 today, perhaps I'm being a little optimistic about even HAVING a budget for old comics...

My PayPal account is orders@bpib.com

ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
The JVJ Postage Fund
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 02:36:47 AM »

Fightin' Marines #7 with another Baker Canteen Kate story just FTPed.  Another JVJon production.

It was $19 to send JVJ's books back to him so yes, Jim has laid out quite a bit for this project so far and anything we can do for him would be great.

Jim, I enclosed something extra in the box which according to your have list you didn't have, jst as a personal thank you.

I did (embarrassingly) find one of your index cards still on the bed of my scanner.  I will mail that back ASAP.

Jon
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
The JVJ Postage Fund
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 03:26:19 AM »

It was $19 to send JVJ's books back to him so yes, Jim has laid out quite a bit for this project so far and anything we can do for him would be great.

Jon

A pledge fund perhaps? If a few people pledge to pony up donation funds of $5 - $10 apiece or donations in kind (postage stamps, etc.)? I appreciate JVJ's generosity and I certainly would be willing to contribute towards the shipping costs involved.

Just my two pennies...

B.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
The JVJ Postage Fund
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 04:09:52 AM »

I'd be more than happy to contribute a bit myself, and I would guess others around here wouldn't mind chipping in.  Jim has shown extreme generosity in allowing his comics to be scanned and shouldn't be put out the cost of shipping as well.  It's the logistics of how to coordinate the thing that I'm not quite sure of...
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: The JVJ Postage Fund
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 06:45:58 AM »

Hi Everyone,
This is Yoc talking as a member of GAC.  I'm am NOT making any demands of you as a Staff member and the GAC site and admins are not forcing anyone to contribute to this fund.  But speaking as a fellow fan of golden age scans I hope you will consider the following...

-------------

Someone once brought up the idea of starting a fund to buy choice books off eBay for the site.  The logistics of such an idea made it a non-starter.  But here is a chance to really add a LOT of missing books to the site!

But it's time to step up if we want to keep the JVJ Collection Project running smoothly.

So far Jim has trusted GAC members Jon, Geo and soon OtherEric with scanning books from his collection without any problems.  We've all gotten to enjoy these scans at no cost to us.  But it does cost Jim money to send out these books and he is a retiree on a fixed income.  Surly we don't expect him to bare the cost of letting US get to finally see these books?  So for those postage expenses not already being covered by our scanners we need to help.

It's time for GAC members to help out on a truly vital project!

I feel we should be trying to make this project as painless as possible for Jim.  After all he's trusted what basically are complete strangers with books he's spent his own money collecting over the years.  And if you've seen the INCREDIBLE list of books he's willing to share from if continued it could add THOUSANDS of dollars in Overstreet value to the site for only the cost of postage!  You will NEVER find a chance like this again!  Please don't allow this project to wither just because Jim can't afford to send out his boxes of comics to our scanners!   :-\

And please remember - for many of these books this might well be the only chance we have of getting them scanned.  Many of them are so obscure you couldn't find them or so desirable by collectors you could never afford to buy one even if you could find them!  With this project the cost of a single choice book on eBay or Heritage could keep the project going for another month or two enabling Jim to send out dozens of books!

Might I suggest that some members forgo their next eBay purchase or that new BlueRay disk and contribute to this fund?  The number of books we've already added has been just great and things are only going to get better as OtherEric and perhaps even Narfstar join the ranks of scanners and we start seeing scans from these two respected members.

It truly is a win-win situation for everyone.  We can preserve these slowly ticking pulp time bombs for posterity and get to read scans of some Very Obscure, often Prohibitively Expensive books for pennies on the dollar of their Overstreet values!

Make me proud GAC members - please help!

-------------

Anyone who can send a donation PLEASE make a note of it here in this tread. 
I've also asked Jim to keep us informed on his postage expenses.

So to start with Jim has spent $50 so far.

I Personally have cut that in HALF with a $25 US donation via PayPal. 
I know some abhor the company but it seems the easiest way to get Jim the funds.  Especially for our foreign members.

PayPal asks for an email address for Jim - PLEASE use the following address when making a PayPal donation to the fund:
orders@bpib.com

Jim's outstanding costs as a running total so far - $25
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 07:10:38 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

larrytalbot

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 07:39:35 AM »

Yoc,  Glad to donate to Jim's project.  But, I need alternative to Pay Pal.  Best way for me would be to send a check to a legit address. 

LT

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 07:54:58 AM »

Hi Larry,
Thanks for helping.  Please contact JVJ (Jim) with a Private Message to exchange information.
That's the little word balloon under JVJ's picture.  I'm sure he'll be happy to hear from you.

If it isn't too personal please let us know what you'll be sending so we can update Jim's running total.

Thanks again for your contribution!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 07:56:22 AM »

Yoc,

I pledge a minimum of $15 toward the JVJ effort.

I will forward my donation to Jim via paypal by Dec. 1, 2008.

B.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 07:57:37 AM »

Right on!
+1 Karma for you And Larry!

Thanks guys!
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 07:58:48 AM »

Hey Yoc,

Is it possible for this thread to get pinned in the appropriate subject area for others to easily find?

B.

EDIT: Nevermind...wow, you're quick!!!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:02:37 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 08:02:36 AM »

:D
I've pinned it in this section mostly because there wasn't any others and also because Jon + Geo have been announcing JVJ book scans here.

I couldn't see any other section that more appropriate.
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 08:59:29 AM »

My Paypal account is a little low right now but a guy i'm doing business owes me some money and has promised to get it to me by the end of this month.

I Would be more them happy to chip into the great project thats running here so once these funds show up I will  take great pleasure in forwarding something onto Jim.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »

Anyone who can send a donation PLEASE make a note of it here in this tread.

ok, I paypaled $10.00 into the coffers at the orders@bpib.com
addy you supplied.

Yep, this is a fine thing JVJ has done opening his collection like this and certainly puts him in a 'Good Ol' Boy of Comicdom' status.

I'm glad to be able to share in any mailing costs incurred. If everyone chips in a $5 or $10 small bit it will cover the overhead to see this permanent input into the comic archives which will be made available throughout eternity to the now and future generations of readers.

In the young life of GAC this is yet another major milestone in the goal of the scanning presentation of all PD GoldenAge comics with hopefully many more to come.

viva la GAC
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 12:45:45 AM »

Thanks, rez and yoc,
I do appreciate your contributions. I'll list any additional expenses here so folks can respond. And I just want to say how pleased I am that my comics are getting out where everyone can share them.

There is a responsibility that comes with viewing them, though. IF you happen to know who drew any of the stories that I've left blank on my index cards, I'd sure like you to share that information with us. There is nothing I like better than learning a new name.

As I have been discovering today, I've learned a little in the last 25 years. John Benson just today sent me a MSWord file of an index I did in 1984 of Harvey Horror comics (I think it was for APA-I) and told me that he was going to get it on-line to accompany an upcoming Alter Ego article on Warren Kremer. So I'm going through all of those books an updating the index. Back to work...

Thanks again, folks.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 06:30:23 AM »

Sound great Jim!

------

Jim's postage overhead is now down to $15 as of today.

Thanks for helping Rez!
:)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 06:31:54 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 03:13:50 PM »

I just send a contribution of $15.  I'm confident our members will continue to help defray any costs to Jim associated with this project.  Once again thanks to Jim and all the scanners and editors of these fine comics, the results thus far have been fantastic.  8)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 04:57:08 PM »

+1 karma Darwin!
Thanks for helping out.

------

Jim's postage overhead is now down to $0 as of today.
;D
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 07:46:54 PM »

Thanks everybody,
please don't forget that the scanners are putting out funds to return the books, too. Those guys deserve our thanks.

ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 03:27:07 AM »

Yoc,

I have forwarded the sum of $15 to Jim via paypal.

My thanks to Jim for his generosity in sharing his gems with GA-UK, and my gratitude to the scanners making it possible for these gems to appear on site.

B.  :D
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 03:57:40 AM »

Well done Boox!  A big thanks for your contribution to what I feel is easily the most potentially rewarding collection of scans to come from one source since Henry Peters started posting from his own massive collection.  May he and JVJ continue for a long long time!

---------

Jim's Postage Fund now stands at a surplus of $15!
Every penny helps gang so don't be shy.   ;)
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 10:07:09 AM »

Unless anyones been dipping into it Jim's fund should now stand at a SURPLUS of $30.00 as i've just put another 15 bucks into the kitty.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »

Thank you, phabox.  And everybody else, for that matter.  While I'll throw in if it becomes necessary, I personally think covering the return postage on the books sent to me is enough for the moment if others are helping.  You're not just helping JVJ out here; you're helping the scanners as well.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »

I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to this fund and I want to make the whole accounting more transparent. In that light,
here's a list of all the postage expenses I've incurred up to today, Nov. 28, 2008

Jon The Scanner: $38.00 (two boxes)
Geo                   $31.60 (two boxes)
Narfstar              $19.00
OtherEric            $14.85

Which totals to $103.45.

Without itemizing them, the PayPal payments that I can trace back to the group (the anonymity of site names adds a layer of imprecision here) total $80. This matches what Yoc has documented, although one member has indicated in a PM that they were sending a check, which I will record when it arrives.

Again, thanks much to all of you for your support. It REALLY does help.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.