in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

British TV show poll

Poll icon Poll

Favorite British TV Show

Luther
- 1 (20%)
Fawlty Towers
- 2 (40%)
Monty Python's Flying Circus
- 1 (20%)
The Fall
- 0 (0%)
Space 1999
- 1 (20%)
Copper
- 0 (0%)
Benny Hill Show
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: October 03, 2015, 06:57:50 PM

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: British TV show poll  (Read 4789 times)

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
British TV show poll
« on: September 23, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »

This is a list of my favorite British and or BBC TV programs ( and no I do not like Dr Who or Red Dwarf so please don't mention them.) What are your faves of my faves?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:19:17 PM by Kracalactaka »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: British TV show poll
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 05:19:33 AM »

Tough choice between Python and Copper. Somehow I just couldn't get into Luther. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:56:10 AM »

Interesting.  On your rather limited list, I picked Fawlty Towers. 
Luther was terrible, unrealistic and over acted. Never heard of Copper. 
No Avengers, Prisoner, Vicar of Dibley, New Tricks, Midsomer Murders, Still Game, Champions, Lewis, Thunderbirds, Whitechapel, Sherlock (Holmes) and too many more to mention on your list.
Benny Hill is a bit of a pariah in many quarters here now.  I think he's hilarious.  But, then again, so are Morecombe and Wise and I'd have thought they would have to be on anyone's list.
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:40:53 PM »

@paw broon

The list needed to be fairly short for a poll, it is a list of my faves and alas I have only heard of half the shows you mentioned. I am in the U.S., so in my 45+ years I've only been exposed to the limited offerings on PBS (until recent years the only place in the US to see Brit TV), BBC America (yay for cable) and nowadays Netflix. Occasionally a major US TV network has purchased the airing rights to a Brit show (Avengers & Space 1999 come to mind), but this does not happen very often.

I've seen Vicar of Dibley and Sherlock, but didn't really care for them. My better half likes Are You Being Served?

Yeah, Benny is not really PC here anymore either, but I have fond memories of watching that show on late night TV when I should have been sleeping. (After we inherited her folks big color console TV for the living room, Mom let me keep our old B&W set in my room, probably a mistake on her part) Whenever our pet rabbit (which looks like the one from 'The Holy Grail) gets loose and we are chasing it all over the house as it dashes behind sofas and under tables, the Benny Hill chase scene music goes off in my head.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »

Space 1999 was the most memorable UK TV series but their were a number of what we'd call mini series that I still remember well.

An example from Wikipedia
" Private Schulz is a BBC television comedy drama serial set mostly in Germany, during and immediately after World War II. It stars Michael Elphick in the title role and Ian Richardson playing various parts. Other notable actors included Tony Caunter, Billie Whitelaw, Billy Murray and Mark Wingett."

The BBC miniseries were shown on our PBS public broadcasting educational channels just as some UK series such as Masterpiece theatre and Sherlock are these days.

Copper and Ripper Street are my more recent favorites. Dr Who is still up there but not quite as enjoyable these days as the Pertwee and Baker era stories that I remember so well.
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 01:16:45 PM »

Thanks for the input so far folks, but as long as you are make a vote on the Brit TV poll, please stop by the Sci-Fi movie poll.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:17:43 AM »

Don't know why, but this came up on my unread posts lists, as did the SciFi poll which I will look at next.

The only thing on your list that wouldn't be on mine would be Benny Hill. Not that I don't like that kind of humor tho. i'm old enough to have gone to theatres to see Carry On films. We see a lot of British shows in OZ.
People remember Python but nobody remembers ' At Last the 1948 show' Which has some of Cleese and co's better scripts. Could't do a British list without 'CALLAN' tho. pity the BBC lost many of the B and W episodes.
Best sketch ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me3f7rI9AOk
Anybody who worked in a book or comic or record shop could identify.
CALLAN here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cdMH9q1JP0&list=PL_OMllVYGS1rLbiTXD_btUrGutRpcxec_
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »

Well done, Panther.  I remember the 1948 Show and it's still very funny. Some of the same folk turned up in the radio show, "I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again", Tim Brooke-Taylor, Cleese, and Graeme Garden and Bill Oddie.
And some of them are still on I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue, now hosted by Jack Dee, after Humph's death.
I realised that I'm off-topic, but it's worthwhile looking these shows up.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009zbr2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnwb/episodes/guide
If you can listen to ISIHAC outside the UK, be aware that it's hilarious, outrageous and has some incredibly smutty Samantha jokes which, despite complaints the BBC, have not been toned down.  Last night Dee just couldn't finish the Samantha story and the audience was in fits.
Last radio show mention, Round The Horne.
Callan was an excellent series.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.