in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen reference

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen reference  (Read 3640 times)

wreade1872

message icon
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen reference
« on: October 04, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »

So i'm reading a bit of everything referenced in the 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' comics. This site has been very useful so far, i've already found here:
Sexton Blake
Wolf of Kabul
Brain Boy
Hugo Hercules
Stardust the Superwizard
Mysta of the Moon
Electro-Girl (1 issue but its something :) )
Jet-Ace Logan

BUT i'm still looking for the following:
Any Sexton Blake story with Zenith the Albino
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php/topic,6740.0.html

Any of these superheros:
http://www.comp.dit.ie/dgordon/league/otherleagues/1960s/1960ssevenstars.html
Captain Universe (Ft. in Captain Universe, 1954)
Vull the Invisible  (Ft. in Ranger, 1934-35)
Marsman (Ft. in Marsman Comics, 1948)
Zom the Zodiac (Ft. in Big Win Comics, 1948)
Satin Astro (Ft. in Whizzer Comics, 1947)
Captain Zenith (Ft. in Captain Zenith Comic, 1950)

Or the Iron Warrior (Ft. in Thrill Comics, 1940-1945+1948)

Any help appreciated, thank you.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen reference
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »

Well, you got me with that one as I have only read the first two LoEG volumes and was completely unaware that Messrs Moore and O'Neil had referenced those old British characters.
The Quatermass thing is very interesting given the stuff on one of your links.  The mutation in Quatermass Experiment is of course one of the astronauts, Victor Carroon (have I spelled that correctly?). And Bernard Quatermass receives a mention in the Doctor Who serial, Remembrance of the Daleks, as does the British Experimental Rocket Group.
Jet Ace Logan is a particular favourite of mine and I've been aware of his adventures since I was a young boy and I seem to remember that Charteris was also referred to as "Buster" but that might have been in later reprints because "Plumduff" and "Chubby" (which I think was also used) were considered a bit non-pc.  But I think it's pushing it to try and tie up Prof. Q and Logan.  The continuity in Logan stories really doesn't exist, despite them being highly entertaining.
I realise we're talking about creating a variant universe, but tying up Dare, Morgan, Logan and Quatermass, while absolutely intriguing, doesn't really work for me. The technology differences in their stories is enough to make it difficult to reconcile.  Given the references to Quatermass in Doctor Who, would you not also have to include a Dr. John Smith in the mix?
Right, as for your request, I would love to be able to lay my hands on scans of those British comics but some of us on here are seriously good at digging up wee gems like that and up to now we haven't found them.  Rest assured, we're always looking but it takes time - if they are to be found at all, that is.
Vull in Ranger interests as I didn't know of the character and there are a few issues floating about, but don't get your hopes up ;)
ip icon Logged

wreade1872

message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:00:29 AM »

Thanks for the response, i would like to point out that the speculation regarding Quartermass in the League comics is complete garbage :D, with all due respect to Jess Nevins who i think first put forth the theory.

I'm apparently the only person who figured this out but
The Mass, in the League universe is actually a reference to 'The Blob' (1958) film. It was called the Mass during the shooting script. Plus the dates fit, Mina just having time to get back to america after the events of The Black Dossier.
The speculation by Captain Universe (Jim Logan) that it could have been a friend of his brothers (Jet-Ace Logan) suggests that they think the Blob might be the remains of a downed alien space pilot.

Also for fans of the League or Mysta of the Moon, its entirely possible to read the Mysta comics while imagining that its Mina Murray in disguise. There is a lot of things which support this strange theory, i'll get around to listing them some time.
We have already met a Mysta in the LOeG universe but that was in 1964 and given that the Mysta comics are set in the distant future, the Mysta from these comics must be a descendant of the League person, OR Mina Murray in disguise :D
ip icon Logged

wreade1872

message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 12:33:18 PM »

Arrrggh i hate myself. Ignore above, further investigation has revealed i'm wrong it is indeed a Quartermass reference.
Firstly it appears the Seven Stars only operated in the UK, secondly its mentioned that Mars Man and Satin Astro had to drop out of site, this makes sense as they are both Mars characters and everyone would be racially prejudiced against Martians due to events of Quartermass and the Pit.
Also theres a suspicious apostrophe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »

I'm sure you know this but while there are the 3 original Quatermass serials, there are also the 3 film versions, 2 with Brian Donlevy and the last with Andrew Keir.  Plus, there are a few movies which are almost Quatermass films but with the central character's name changed.  The Giant Behemoth actually stars Andre Morrel who was Quatermass in the BBC serial of "The Pit".  X the Unknown has Dean Jagger as a very "Q" type scientist but called Dr. Royston.
The Trollenberg Terror could be considered a non-Quatermass Quatermass with Forrest Tucker in the role this time.
Another one is Night Caller from Outer Space, this time with John Saxon as the scientist caught up in strange happenings when a baffling alien object falls from the sky near London.
With a bit of a stretch of the imagination, "They Came From Beyond Space" with Robert Hutton as Dr. Temple could fit into all this nonsense.
Nothing to do with your reading and watching list but which might interest you is the "borrowing" of the radar intro from the Quatermass 2 serial.  This opening is used in Doctor Who "Spearhead From Space", which is very Quatermass in some of it's story. Then again, in Night Caller, the device is used again as the 3 scientists watch the track of the alien object as it lands in England.
Invasion with Edward Judd doesn't quite open with the radar idea but within 3 and a half minutes, we're in the radar truck, with the 2 soldiers and going through the Qautermass 2 opening all over again.  Great stuff.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:08:07 PM »

The Quatermass thing is very interesting given the stuff on one of your links.  The mutation in Quatermass Experiment is of course one of the astronauts, Victor Carroon (have I spelled that correctly?).

Victor Carroon is less a mutant than a composite creature, at least in the early stage.
The spacesuits of the others remained sealed yet the bodies were missing, only the dust of the chemical components found later.
It seems to me that the alien force had somehow teleported the crew and perhaps accidently destroyed most of their cell structure, then in the attempt to correct the error they used the remaining viable cells to create a single composite being.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
he's changing"
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 05:04:41 PM »

Captain, I hadn't thought of it that way.  And you're right that he is a sort of composite creature early on. I do remember that the words, "he's changing" or similar, and perhaps," there are changes....." or similar, are used in the story.  Probably that made me consider Carroon was mutating into the creature. 
As I think about this (and are we wasting precious minutes of what's left of our lives on this?) I wonder now if the other two astronauts were failed attempts at takeover and Carroon was their single success.  Yes, I know that in the film the suits were sealed but the force was able to penetrate the ship, so why not the suits, and it is clear that the final version of the creature would release spores which would alter or devour all life, leaving it and it's progeny, as the sole life form on the planet.  However, does the teleportation idea seem a bit strange for such a non-technical life form?
Need to go back and watch what's left of the original serial.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.