in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

aka Comics Online

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: aka Comics Online  (Read 3393 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
aka Comics Online
« on: October 25, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »

What seems like ages ago, I ran a comic shop with some other blokes and as the shop was successful we launched a fanzine, which took a different look at the wonderful world of comics. Some of the issues are available on CB+, here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1506
But now John McShane - just one of the boys, you know - has launched a tumblr page focusing on pages from the 'zine.  Please take a look.  All comments, here or on the tumblr page, will be very welcome.
http://akacomicsonline.tumblr.com/
ip icon Logged

neil meikle

• VIP
message icon
Re: aka Comics Online
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »

Thanks for the link Paw and for posting the second issue last week, it was worth getting just for that smashing Batman cover. Two questions for you, will any more be posted in the not to distant future? And how many issues of the zine were there?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:45:25 PM by neil meikle »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »

Hi Neil, I should have #3 but simply cannot find it.  #3 has a cover by the late Russell Aitken - a sorely missed friend. I'm starting to get the terrible feeling that I loaned it to someone ages ago. The answer is, I don't know if there will be more.  Perhaps his nibs, Mr. McShane, can come up with the goods ::)
The new fanzine site by David Hathaway Price has piles of British 'zines and there are more to come.  Up soon will be an/the only? issue of a Glaswegian 'zine, GASP, which I found and scanned for him. It's a good read.
The site is here:-
http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/

After a while aka was edited by Andy Dougan, a journalist friend of the shop who worked for the Evening Times and for tv. But I'm blowed if I can remember which number we got to. :-[
ip icon Logged

neil meikle

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 07:33:14 PM »

Thanks for your time Paw and good luck in finding it.
    As a side note, if Dave can get permission to post these zines perhaps this site could do too and it's a case of don't ask, don't get?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »

Oh yes, Neil, that's on my wee list.  David is trying to find contacts for Gasp, so that he can get permission.  But that group is well and truly dispersed, so it might take some time.  I would love to get more 'zines on CB+.  Let's see what happen.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.