in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 155 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Detective work required

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Detective work required  (Read 2483 times)

Reg

message icon
Detective work required
« on: November 05, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »

I have only just joined the site and wonder if anybody can help me trace two old comic stories that I read as a kid (1950s and 1960s)?

Story 1 (a comic strip story in a sci-fi collection probably printed for a Christmas market)
This concerns the staff of an observatory in USA. They receive a Mayday call from an alien spacecraft and assist it to land safely. Although they go to it's landing site they cannot see it although the pilot is communicating with them via his RT. He then says he can see them, but it transpires that he has crossed the time barrier and landed 100 years earlier. The result is that the is shot full of arrows by what look like Hurons. A landmark used to guide him was a pointed rock formation and when the observatory staff dig beneath this they find a space helmet. Haven't a clue what this story was called.

Story 2 (a text story - pretty sure it was in an Annual)
This relates to a marooned space pilot whose ship has malfunctioned and he has managed to land on a seemingly deserted planet. He discovers he is not alone as a robot is also stranded there and has been for many years. The robot helps him repair his ship but in doing so sacrifices it's own existence. I thought the story was called something on the lines of 'My Man Friday' as it clearly has Robinson Crusoe connotations but I've never been able to track it down.

Any help or correspondence welcomed.

Reg

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Detective work required
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 04:20:37 PM »

Hi Reg.  That first one is familiar.  My first thought was that it was Charlton story then I wondered about DC comics Strange Adventures.
I noticed you commented on the Boardman book and I'm now wondering if you read your 2 stories in a British title/annual.  As you know, Alan Class reprinted umpteen stories from American comics.
I could be havering, so, hopefully, the more knowledgable on here can help a lot more than me. :-[
ip icon Logged

Reg

message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 06:38:47 PM »

Hello Paw

I much appreciate your reply. You are probably dead right when you say it was a British publication. I recall getting it one Christmas, and it was with a number of other stories in a soft cover book roughly A4 sized. Plain line drawings - no colour.

I've recently managed to get hold of some of the Boardman weekly comics featuring Blackhawk and Swift Morgan that were produced here in the UK in the 1940s and 1950s. I will have a crack at uploading them over the next week or so.

Regards

Reg
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »

I suppose that narrows it down a wee bit but A4 is a too big for Alan Class comics. Is there any chance this was a Swan album?  It seems unlikely that those sort of stories would be in a DC Thomson annual and they were hardbacks anyway. There were a lot of b&w 64 page comics with both British stories and American reprints, including stuff like Fantastic Tales and the John Spencer titles.
Do you fancy submitting your question to
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/
There are a few members who might be able to help.  You'll have to join but it's free and doesn't take long to be clicked in.
Apart from that, your Boardman comics would be excellent additions to CB+.  Curious to know if the Blackhawk issues are Quality reprints or McLoughlin originals.
ip icon Logged

Reg

message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 09:12:06 PM »

Thank you Paw, I will follow that up.

The Boardman comics are UK originals - the Photogravure printings

Reg
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.