in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Raw scan uploads.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Raw scan uploads.  (Read 3536 times)

ejpetrie

message icon
Raw scan uploads.
« on: December 28, 2015, 08:30:35 PM »

Hi Mark and Crew, and Happy New Year!

As much as I greatly appreciate all the work that the scanners, particularly narfstar, put into scanning these low-grade Charltons and finds from other publishers, doesn't it just make more sense to hold them back until an editor can clean them up, rather than upload them as RAW examples?  Personally, I wind up downloading the RAW versions only so that I won't miss a book that may never experience an editor's hand, but then I download it again after a talented editor has had the time to clean up the scans.  I would think that it would be less stressful by half on your server to not upload the RAW files in the first place, right?  One file--half as many downloads.  Isn't that how it used to be done?

Best Wishes,
Josh
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Re: Raw scan uploads.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 02:23:00 AM »

Some people A) don't have the resources to do that and B) Believe it or not some people like the raw scans so they can edit themselves (Like I do). Just a thought.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:35:30 AM »

I put them up as I do them. ONE big reason is so that I do not forget to put them up. Another is because I may not get an editor. Comicwander has taken up the task and I really appreciate it. I have found scans that were a few years old that I had forgotten to upload. So I put up as I do them.
ip icon Logged

ejpetrie

message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 07:01:17 PM »

In response to the gloabal moderator mr_goldenage:
A.  I understand that some people do not have the storage facilities that I and others can and do have, but I don't see how that enters into it really.  Whether a person does or does not have the capability to house every scan they can find, it does not change the fact that most people would prefer to read a cleaned up image than one where every page is tilted in a slightly different direction or located at a differing corner of the frame.  (Personally, I sometimes even get a headache from attempting to read a RAW file.)  Plus, the uploading of a flood of RAW scans makes the website look more like an unattractive, unfinished pile of works in progress, rather than the smoothly designed library and reference mechanism that it actually is.  It helps the appearance of CB+ to present only the best looking content possible, don't you think?

B.  But be all of that as it may, if a file is held back until it can be edited, then who would know or care?  People outside of the moderators and the actual contributors would have no clue that any given file actually exists until it is introduced.  It only becomes an issue for people who prefer to edit files themselves as you do.  I have to believe that people who want to edit all of the scans that they keep have got to be a far, far smaller portion of the site's membership than those that would just prefer to read a clean product.

But, as you said, these are just thoughts.

In response to super-uploader narfstar:  You and Comicwanderer and all of the men and women who work to preserve and present all of the aspects of this medium are all treasures.  Please take none of what I have said in a negative light.  My comments were not made to criticize anyone's work, just suggestions of ways to make this already attractive site more appealing.

Happy New Year to all!

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 02:09:39 AM »

It is not normal for this many to come at once. I got some extra money administering the ACT. I went wild and spent well over that. Just today I spent another $65. I am a school teacher off two weeks. So this will not be happening again for awhile. I do still have a big load coming from milehigh. For books under $4 my time is worth more. I tear them apart and put them through a document feeder that scans both sides at once, one page after the other. I can put two books in the feeder at a time. I can also set it at 300 dpi because the extra time does not matter. It is great, but the results are not the prettiest.
ip icon Logged

ejpetrie

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:01:49 AM »

Understood, narfstar!  It seems that comic files never are very pretty at the scan stage, no matter what the method.  And the fact that you are in the midst of a scanning blitz is exactly what I thought might be happening, although I didn't realize that you were eating up so much of your precious holiday time in doing it!  I hope you get to enjoy some of the remaining break!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.