in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

EC's "Moon Girl" PD?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: EC's "Moon Girl" PD?  (Read 8781 times)

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
EC's "Moon Girl" PD?
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:27:05 AM »

Those folks over on the "Public Domain Super Heroes" Wiki is saying "Moon Girl" is PD!

http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Moon_Girl

But didn't EC renew all their material?

The issues would have been up for renewal in 1975-1977, which means the "catalog of copyright entries" volumes would have to be checked, as the searchable database only starts with 1978. Anyone ever check these?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:32:29 AM by DennyWilson »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: EC's "Moon Girl" PD?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 04:00:27 AM »

I've wondered about that when I noticed a Canadian publisher (Red 5?) putting out new Moon Girl stories.

Then I wondered if maybe it had to do with the difference between US copyright law & Canadian copyright law?
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:11:03 AM »

Moon Girl and the Prince along with Marvel Maid are PD.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 09:41:58 AM »

Moon Girl and the Prince along with Marvel Maid are PD.

Anyone know what other EC material went PD?
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 10:43:40 AM »

Flat & Slats...I have issues 1 through 4

rb
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 05:59:53 AM »

I recently found out Roy Thomas wanted to use Moon Girl in All-Star Squadron/Infinity,inc/Young All-Stars as a replacement for Wonder Woman post-Crisis but ended up using Miss America (Joan Dale/Quality) instead.

Wonder what the issue was? Was Moon Girl not part of the parts of EC that Warner Communications owned?
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »

Seems we have had this discussion before not too long ago.  We were looking at having Moon Girl on the site here but the powers that be determined it was too risky.

As for DC, well it would seem they did not have the rights to MG and she certainly wasn't PD , otherwise I'm pretty sure they would have used her in some capacity.

The status of EC books is a conundrum. The company is truly dead and in spirit all those great EC books belong right here among all the other dead and gone pre-code publishers, but everything  has been mucked up over years with ownership rights etc. At least you can find cheap reprints fairly easily, I picked up a few a couple weeks ago.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 01:48:17 AM »

Trademark has most certainly run out on Moon Girl. New stories can be made even if the originals are not pd.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 02:18:25 AM »

Richard are you good at searching the archives? I don't have much luck on the archive.org site. If Fat and Slat and Moon Girl were not renewed then they were not renewed period.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 07:53:07 PM »

Narf old friend.....yes my extensive research has indicated that moon girl/the prince and marvel maid are all PD as far as I can tell.....and you know me....I search constantly for stuff like this....as I love that sort of thing. I have some Moon Girl as well as the Marvel Maid single story as well as Fat and Slats. Let me know if I can post them. How have you been by the way? I'm living in Missouri now....

Richard
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 04:31:57 AM »

I am still in TN getting ready to semi-retire. Posting the books is up to Mark but if they are not in the renewal records then he is pretty keen on having them. I find the records at archive.org very hard to navigate. Do you possibly have a compilation of just renewals after 1922? Those are what are most useful to us. BTW I could not find anything on Life of Christ Visualized. If you could double check that would be cool.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 06:57:54 AM »

I do not have a comprehensive list of anything after 1922 or any year really. I am not a fan of archive.org although it has it's uses. I generally go there to find/find out specific things. Typically I will do a search being or making it as possible search as possible thus resulting in a ton of results of which 98% are useless for what I am seeking, but that is just a matter of wading through tons of stuff which takes time....and I do it if I cannot find what I want elsewhere......really an Archive of last resorts though.... but I have found lots of useful things some I was looking for and some found by accident ....Yes I will see what I can find....by the way Tarpe Mills Miss Fury is PD by the way as well as Timely only reprinted the stories from the newspaper originals (albeit made to fit comics and colored when and where needed), I mention this as well as having Moon Girl and Fats N Slats books I have a few Miss Fury's from back in the day. Let me know I'd love to post the Moon Girl and Marvel Maid and Miss Fury books here if possible. Take care from MO. No early retirement for me anymore....lol

Richard
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 03:42:26 PM »

Personally I'd love to see some of those old, pre new-trend comics posted here and on DCM... especially since I don't have any of them in reprints... but the thing is, reprints do exist of the romance and western material, not sure about Moon Girl though.   And if those reprints are anything like the reprints for the new-trend stuff, I think Gaines did renew all of it somehow, somewhere, as well.  But what about the older "Educational Comics" which were a hold over from Max Gaines... which includes the religious, science and historical books... not sure I've heard anything regarding those.   So perhaps those could be posted??? 

Again, I too would love to have something of EC represented in the PD sphere, so hopefully you guys can find out definitively whether Moon Girl and some of those titles are indeed up-loadable.

I like the Miss Fury character as well, and would look forward to having those original adventures posted here and on DCM also.  Unlike Moon Girl, it's an important character for historical reasons, so in this case I'd tend to think the character and those original adventures are more important than the imprint under which they just happened to be reprinted o so many decades ago.  A character that Timely seems to have had no interest in beyond those original newspaper reprints... in other words, this isn't the Human Torch, or Sub-Mariner we're talking about here... this was more an outside character (in a sense, a creator-owned one) which just happened to be reprinted by Timely. 

But then, I'm only stating my personal "gut" opinion on the matter... from observation... which isn't much more then wishful thinking.  Hopefully you folks can find out for certain. 
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »

I have Moon Girl # 1 through 7 and the Marvel Maid Story from F&S + Miss Fury # 3 & # 4. ready to be uploaded when it's allowed. I think it should be. Let me know Powers that be.... (LOL)

Richard Boucher
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »

My powers are weakening. Upload them (best possible versions) and let me ponder!
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 08:46:23 PM »

OooH! do I smell an EC sub-section in the comics section?
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 03:49:43 AM »

Give me some time and this weekend I will load some of them.....Still working on Blue Beetle Scans.....

RB
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 10:53:37 AM »

OH YEAH>     BTW: Marvel probably does nothing with the character because it was never their character. They were just running reprints.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Uploaded EC's "Moon Girl" & "Miss Fury"
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 04:34:27 AM »

I've uploaded Moon Girl & the Prince # 1 & 2 plus the first two pages of Marvel Maid (embedded into Moon Girl # 1 & 2) and Miss Fury # 3. Waiting on Mark to weaken and allow the uploads.......what say you Mr. Mark> Guys n Gals? I've more once approved.

Richard Boucher
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:59:30 AM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
UFS Tip Top Comics PD?
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 02:12:03 AM »

Why no UFS Tip Top Comics is not most of it PD? Let me know.

Richard
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.