in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 43,068 books
 New: 210 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 107 - Knockout #418

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 107 - Knockout #418  (Read 3940 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 107 - Knockout #418
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »

To be kind last week's book, Mister Mystery #1 was judged by the group as a "family friendly horror", in other words it was tame and lame.

So we move swiftly on to this week's book. It is a suggestion from one of our esteemed number.

"I've been reading a lot of UK comics lately. How about an old-school English title? Picking one at random, how about Knockout 418? I like reading the whole thing, but if you need a focus it'd have to be the Billy Bunter strip, right?"

Knockout 418 can be found at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=27573. I have had a flick through and the end of the book makes me feel a tad uncomfortable, to say the least. But, unfortunately to our shame, that is what was considered funny here in the U.K. back in 1947 (and for too many years before and after).

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 107 - Knockout #418
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:24:22 AM »

Deed-A-Day Danny - Uhhhh... okayyyyy...?

Lost In The Pacific - I recently reread my Hardy Boys books that I got as a kid and this was oddly similar, the two main characters in several dangerous, but curiously tame situations. I suspect the cannibals are not really cannibals, but don't care enough to check out the next issue.

It's The Gremlins - Cute.  :)

Billy Bunter - Eh. Was the same person writing the captions & the word balloons? It didn't quite mesh.

Two Sherrifs For Salt Springs - Eh, not bad, although I could do without the negro dialect. Interesting that the sheriff is a pickpocket.

One-Eye Joe & Two-Toof Tom - Kind of hard to care for the guys when they've got a magic button to do their work for them.

Daffy - Eh, okay.

Westward Ho! - Nice, a little action and adventure.

Jack, Jill and Jollikins - You know American comics were longer and only had two text pages per issue.  ;) Man the longer it went on the more annoyed I got hearing about the Jabberjee, the Grizzler, the Skrimper-Squawk & the Happy-Ho. Yeesh! Get on with the story man!

Handy Andy - Ugh.

Sexton Blake - Good.

Son O' The Circus - You English comic fans were cheated of actual comics because of all these text pages.  ;)  Really couldn't care about any of these people.

Our Ernie - Would have been better without the rhyming captions. (Perhaps not a lot better, but better.)

Stonehenge Kit - Hmmm... not sure what to make of this.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 08:54:36 PM »

The Sexton Blake story here is drawn by Alfred Taylor.
Westward Ho is drawn by the great Eric Parker, who would later become the artist on the Blake strips.
And I think that's Frank Minnitt on Bunter.
I quite liked this comic but it's an odd mixture of more adult crime and adventure with Blake and Westward Ho, and Jack Jill and Jollikins, which seems for much younger readers.  Although, it is written by Geo. Rochester who was responsible for a lot of adventure books and who created another winged hero, Black Wing.  Black Wing appeared in the eponymous hardback in the early '50's and the sequel, Secret Pilot in 1954.  A young lad, Volka has an atomic powered flying suit and a cruel, beaked headpiece with Z-ray lenses which allowed him to see at night.
The 2 half pagers on our page 7 are pretty poor on didn't raise a smile.
As a Bunter fan, I enjoyed the strip but I get what SuperScrounge writes as he's right.  The captions don't at times match the balloons or pictures.  That format was very common in British comics and I'm used to it so it doesn't jar.  But looking at it now I wonder if it's all a bit too much.
The Gremlins is good fun.  There were many strips just like that.
The text stories aren't for me.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 03:04:09 AM »

I confess it was I who chose this comic, and I really did choose it at random. It looked like my notion of an old school British comic and I wanted to see what it was like. It's certainly a change from standard American comics. The mix of serialized text stories, one-pagers, and serialized strips comes off as a bit chaotic. Let's dig in...

"Deed-A-Day Danny": not an auspicious beginning.

"Lost in the Pacific": It's okay for a typical boys' adventure story, although the prose style is a bit remote. It's crazy that you get only one page a week. I think I would've saved a dozen episodes and read them together. Spoiler: the natives are indeed cannibals, and the serial ends abruptly as Pip and Fred become part of a nutritious breakfast.

"The Gremlins": I didn't think I'd like this but as I worked my way down the page the puns got funnier. I like bad puns anyway...my favorite here is "You'll find yourself outside."

"Billy Bunter": I got frustrated trying to read text and panels together, so I started by reading just the panels, and got a complete story. Then I read the text and got a similar story, one panel out of sync with the pictures. It's fair to middling. The art is fun but Bunter looks like an adult.

"Two Sheriffs for Salt Springs": Better written than the first story, but in places it's tougher to read Johnny's authentic Western palaver than it is to read Sam's Negro dialect. At least Sam has normal intelligence. The author's misuse of "dollars" jumps out at me. He should have used "money" or one of its slang equivalents. You can say, "I have a fistful of dollars" but unless you're quoting an amount ("I have five thousand dollars") the word usually implies a group of $1 bills. "What happened to my dollars?" sounds like something translated from Italian.

"One-Eyed Joe etc." What the heck is this? They get in a jam, they rub the button, and all their problems are solved. What kind of story do you call that? "Daffy": Well, at least this one makes sense...it just ain't funny.

"Westward Ho!" I've never heard of Charles Kingsley's famous book. I like the art. The panels only hit the high points of the story; one must read the text to get the whole thing. More aggressive Africans...if they work for a Spanish noble why do they run around half-naked?

"Jack, Jill, and the Jollikins" is excruciating. It makes me think of an insufferable aunt who gives you a saccharine reading of a first-grade primer even though you already read at sixth-grade level. Its saving grace is the wonderful drawing of the Grizzler.

"Handy Andy:" It's an amazing joke that's outrageously padded when it's only six panels long.

"Sexton Blake:" Another frustrating two-page fragment of a story. The art is rather hasty and almost everyone keeps his head turned away from the camera.

"Son O' the Circus": This makes up for the unemotional storytelling style of the first story. A full-out, brutal description of a fist fight. How do you like these apples,  Jollikins and Skrimper-Squawk?

"Our Ernie": What, more cannibals? Counting the Spaniard's men that's three throngs of menacing Africans in just sixteen pages. I like the artwork, though. The expendable rhyming captions pile odd slang expressions one upon the other...I hope you Brits understand what's being said!

"Stonehenge Kit, the Ancient Brit": I like the title. And the story gets points for a unique trap. They never stuck Batman in strawberry Jell-O. Not so crazy about the cartooning.

In the long run I like Knockout more than I dislike it, but the package is so unlike my accustomed comics that it takes a lot of getting used to. And the super-short chapters drive me crazy.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 08:17:15 AM »

Spoiler: the natives are indeed cannibals, and the serial ends abruptly as Pip and Fred become part of a nutritious breakfast.

Well, at least some people were satisfied.  ;)
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 03:24:39 AM »

LIKED the art, but there was more fine print then the warranty and instructions for my new blu ray. Couldn't even BEGIN to focus on ANYTHING...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 12:32:57 AM »

Billy B was not terrible. I do not like the US comics with the couple page continuing stories each issues. I like the UK versions even less. Reading a little more than Billy but did not get anything out of them. Sexton Blale would be good enough if it had a complete story.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 07:54:12 PM »

My impression of this week's reading matter is that it will not quite be a comic and not quite a British story book. So let's see!

Deed-A-Day Danny - Is a standard bit of British comic book slapstick. 

Lost In The Pacific - I found dated, but also unintentionally really rather funny. Just a few quotes:

"Rather!" agreed Fred. "It looks like a topping place. Can't we finish our water, in view of the good omens you've just announced?"

"Pip jerked himself into an upright position."

"It's do or die - they're probably cannibals," warned Pip.

It's The Gremlins
ip icon Logged

John Hamer

message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 12:48:33 PM »

I think I would prefer the UK comics to the American ones.
The only American comics that I like are Superman, or Batman, but I don't think you would upload them here: I like Knockout and Film fun and also the story papers as well
Yours John
ip icon Logged

John Kerry

message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »

Quick comment here. As far as page length goes remember these are weekly comics. So in any month you getting eight pages of story, about the same as in a multi-story U.S. comic of the same time.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

To both John's,  I've mentioned the connection between 2, 3 and 4 pages per week against 6 or 8 pages per month.  I think it's a difference in comics culture and I can understand that here in the UK, we were used to different frequencies and the pace of unfolding stories.  Not only here but in France and Italy, the weekly, episodic comics and story papers were once common.
Also, if you are a fan of the World's Finest duo, you might also enjoy some of the other superheroes we have.  Mind, if it's the new, gritty, emotionally charged versions of Supes and Bats, all bets are off ;)
ip icon Logged

John Kerry

message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 08:15:19 PM »

I used to read Lion in the mid to late sixties (wish I still had those comics) so I am familiar with UK comics. In fact The Spider is one of my favourite strips. Also ejoyed Vic Gunn, Robot Archie, Carson's Cubs and Sinister Island among others.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 10:47:10 PM »

""Westward Ho!" I've never heard of Charles Kingsley's famous book. I like the art. The panels only hit the high points of the story; one must read the text to get the whole thing. More aggressive Africans...if they work for a Spanish noble why do they run around half-naked?"

That got me interested. I looked up the author and the book and found it was quite famous in its day and for a long time afterwards. It was the first novel adapted for radio by the BBC
The book has its own Wikipedia page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westward_Ho!_(novel)

I suspect that many authors of the old style pirate and adventure stories ( Robert E Howard comes to mind)were influenced by this book.
The swashbuckler movies of the 40's down to the Pirates of the Carribean reflect same the world view.

As for the Africans. Interestingly when African slaves were first brought to the islands it was apparent that they got a lot more work done in warm climes than the European free men (along with convict labor no doubt) who also worked on the plantations. Some claimed the Africans were just naturally stronger and faster. A bet was made and a work gang of white Europeans were then dressed exactly like the Africans in sandals and loin cloths and low an behold they were able to do exactly the same amount of work in the same length of time. It was the long sleeved shirts and trousers , soon soaked with sweat , and confining leather shoes that quickly became soaked or muddy that were holding the white workers back.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:50:57 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.