in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 108 - Police Lineup #3

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 108 - Police Lineup #3  (Read 2932 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 108 - Police Lineup #3
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:14:35 PM »

I think it is true to say that last week's book Knockout #418, really tested the reading group's powers. We had to deal with a LOT of words, and we came through the reading ordeal rather well! A pat on the back all round!

This week's book is one of the last (if not THE last) suggestions that I have! So if you have an idea for a book (or even half of one) PLEASE send me a message. This is what I was sent:

"We haven't done much with crime comics. How about Police Lineup #3, which was recently uploaded? Featuring One of the most hardened women criminals to blot the pages of law enforcement history!"

Police Lineup #3 can be found at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=60363. I am about to check I have locked my doors, I think you would be wise to do the same!

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Week 108 - Police Lineup #3
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:34:02 PM »

Oh I forgot we'll concentrate on the first story "Killer at Large - Mae Crandall One Girl Crime-wave" ... but I am going cover to cover!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 05:51:40 AM »

We had to deal with a LOT of words

It wasn't so much the number of words, rather the poor use so many of them were employed for.  ;)
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 06:35:51 AM »

Ooooh, I like how they did the table of contents! Nice moody illustrations!  :)

Mae Crandall - One Girl Crime-Wave!! - Yikes! What a family. On the other hand I have two nephews who are "afraid" of their older sister, so maybe I'll suggest this story to them and see what they think of it.  ;)

Louie Gruber... Czar of the Underworld! - Don't presidents appoint that position these days?  ;) Not bad.

The Unseen Murderer - Interesting.

Death Danced the Samba! - Okay, although with that title a story of a dancing Grim Reaper would have been more fun.  ;)

Mystery of the Headless Corpse! - Actually being headless sounds like a good reason for there to be a corpse.  ;) Interesting.

Leech McCoy -- The Incendiary Killer! - Okay.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »

Sadistic brunettes crazier then crack house rats. Gun play. Great legs, Gun play. Blood. Gals smacking people out when they get torqued. What more could you want in a comic? When parents told the kids in the 50's comics would rot their mind it must have been ones like this they were thinking of. Wonderful
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 01:09:11 AM »

Not Joe's best work. He was still developing. Not bad but not great. Story was pretty average.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 09:33:29 AM »

My initial reaction to this book is that the cover is a real hybrid. The main picture looks like a pulp cover with comic book mug shots pasted down the left hand side. Not criticizing, just saying!

The inside page has whet my appetite. The four featured villains all appear to be a thoroughly bad lot. If ever I turn to crime, which is a career option I often consider, I think I will have to get myself a tag line in the same vain as: "Mae Crandall -- The One Girl Crime Wave" or "Leech McCoy -- Incendiary Killer".

The Mae Crandall story was standard fare. It was so similar to a previous reading group crime story, that I thought we'd cocked up and chosen the same book again.

I wonder if when a group of people are held up in a bank their initial reaction really is to say "EEEE!" on masse. Judging by this story Louie Gruber was hardly "Czar of the Underworld" as claimed and more of a Czar wannabe.

The next story I could not take seriously after the appearance of Tom, who looks like he is a fourth Stooge. It also was fairly obvious that he would be the murderer!

After a couple of innocuous one page text stories we are on the last lap with "Leech McCoy -- Incendiary Killer". I had high hopes for this, and it was fine. I think it was the best story in the book. BUT I keep looking at the last panel in disbelief. I am sure it shows the Chief pipe in mouth, next to a bunch of high explosives. Hopefully he hasn't actually lit it!   

Verdict: A hit! It was light generic reading and I have now got my criminal tag line. After rejecting "The Criminals' Criminal" and "Delivering Crime Direct To Your Doorstep" I am currently going to use "Mark Warner -- Crime With A Smile"
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:05:21 PM »

Avon made good (re)use of paperback cover art to "class up" their comic books. It makes this one look a whole lot better than it turns out to be.

The inside cover features another of Everett Kinstler's fantastic pen montages. Far and away the best part of the book. I love ERK's inside covers.

"Mae Crandall:" I like Joe Kubert art from this period. It's interesting to see the Caniff/Robbins influences which faded as Kubert's style developed. Joe does a solid job throughout. His weak spot is the lead character. Mae's huge, close-set eyes make her look somewhat alien. However she certainly looks evil, which fits her role. The story is typical crime fare. It's refreshing to see one of the gang at least tries to go straight.

"Louie Gruber" doesn't convince me. His dominion of the underworld seems to rise from his staging lots of simultaneous crimes. It seems to me this trick would only work a couple of times before the authorities figured out ways to predict forthcoming jobs. It bothers me that though Louie supposedly controls the whole city, his gang never seems to number more than half a dozen men. Mort Lawrence's art also bothers me. I have always felt I ought to like his art but I don't. He seems a competent draughtsman, but his grotesque faces and exaggerated posing--a sort of weird mixture of Graham Ingels and Bernie Krigstein--come off more sloppy than stylish. It's odd that the one character who cries out for exaggeration, Louie himself ("a mountainous hulk of flesh") is drawn very conservatively.

"Unseen Murderer" tries but fails because there's only one suspect. The nephew seems to transform rather suddenly from a gosh-wow kid into a drunken slacker willing to murder his uncle for an inheritance. Howard Larsen's art is just serviceable. He seems to have lost heart without a busty woman to draw.

"Leech McCoy" is a routine true-crime-ish story. The most interesting part is Gerald McCann's art. In general I like McCann despite his limitations. He drew well and had a knack for character actors. He never lost the dark, scratchy inking style of the pulp magazines. Consequently indifferent printing frequently made his comics work muddy and hard to read. I think he would have looked much better in black and white. One thing about McCann was his almost infuriating consistency. Year after year, he never got better, he never got worse. He never changed style or experimented, and he steadfastly refused to move the camera closer than a medium shot. As comic tastes changed his work seemed increasingly old-fashioned. I last remember seeing him in Len Cole's Dell ghost comics from the 60s. Did he work beyond that?

I was struck by ad from The Institute of Applied Science questioning whether I have what it takes to look like Boston Blackie. I'd love to see their "qualification questionnaire." I envision tough questions like, "Do you approve of crime (Yes/No)?" and "How much money do you have?" If I did measure up, I'd want my first assignment to be taking down the fraudsters offering engagement rings for $1.74 apiece.

I read the text stories this time. On the day the victim of "Death Dance the Samba" expired I was one week and one day old. I had to laugh at how  Castillo "died like a dancer." Witnesses say "he took four mincing, bumpy little steps." That sort of talk is usually reserved for a homosexual, but we're assured Cippy was an avid skirt-chaser. I guess he just feeled like dancin'.

"The Mystery of the Headless Corpse" had two odd features. One, that upon finding a mutilated body the police immediately thought it might be a practical joke by medical students (!!). The other, that no one seems to have thought of using the victim's fingerprints to determine her identity. True, in 1939 most fingerprints on file were those of convicted felons; nevertheless they could have searched for the victim's prints in their suspect's home.

Overall rating: Fair enough, with a nod to Kinstler and Kubert.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.