in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,068 books
 New: 210 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 109 - Saint Valentine's Romance Comparison

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 109 - Saint Valentine's Romance Comparison  (Read 3312 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 109 - Saint Valentine's Romance Comparison
« on: February 10, 2016, 08:40:51 PM »

Last week's Police Line-Up did not live up to its own billing, but still managed to limp over the "hit" finishing
line.

As we are coming up to Saint Valentine's Day and no doubt another barren mantelpiece for me, I thought we really ought to read a romance comic. Recently I had this message come through the electronic airwaves

Was thinking of suggestions for the reading group...we haven't had an all-out romance book yet (unless you count "Hollywood Love Doctor"). Standard and St. John put out interesting romance comics. Maybe (shooting in the dark here) something like St. John's 'Teenage Temptations' #2 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26111 or Standard's 'New Romances' #16 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=22455

I was not sure which one to pick and THEN I realized we are overdue a comparison. So I don't need to dither around and toss a coin 10 times. Job done! They both have the same cover issue date, so no doubt were actually read back to back. Almost a bit eerie! As I have no idea what is what we'll go for the first story in each OR if you so wish please chose another one.

So to repeat, we are reading St. John's 'Teenage Temptations' #2 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26111 and Standard's 'New Romances' #16 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=22455. Choosing a story from each and saying how they compare.

As I am a cover to cover reader I better get cracking ... 2 romance books ... Oh boy! Me and my bright ideas :(

ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
Re: Week 109 - Saint Valentone's Romance Comparison
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:52:52 AM »

Well I liked Teen Age Temptations Better for starters because it uses art on the cover and not a photo (I'm not a fan of photo covers.)

And of course I'm a fan of Baker so that's another factor, though in both books I thought a lot of good to very good penciling/inking was ruined by the poopy color registration by the printers. (Mark, don't you dare change that word  ;))

One general impression I had about Teen Age Temptations though is that the stories did not seem like they portrayed teenagers, these stories were much more grown up and that cover, whoa that's lurid. There's a rape gonna happen after he gets her back to the car.

Love me, Love My Dogs in the New Romances book was so icky sweet I felt like I needed to brush my teeth after eating some fudge.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:13:24 PM by Kracalactaka »
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:28:07 AM »

poopy is a family friendly word  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:01 PM »

Photo covers of generic people probably have very little appeal to anyone. They must have worked for romance comics  back in the olden days. Most photo covers in others genres were character specific. Needless to say the Baker cover was great.

For being somewhat random picks, both first stories turn out to be love triangles of one girl choosing between two guys. The teen story was only teen for a few panels. Both stories had predictable and expected outcomes but that is the usual. It is what happens in between and how well they are written that makes the difference. I found both to be OK examples of the genre. I am in the minority by not being a Toth fan, so I liked the art in Fighting for my Love better.

I did also read Forbidden Kisses which was pretty much a waste of paper.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:21:22 AM »

Mark had a brilliant idea suggesting comparing these comics. Let's start with the more tantalizing title (and cover): Teen-Age Temptations.

First I will rave about the cover. Matt Baker was at his best drawing St. John covers, and this is one of the best of the best. Everything about it is so good! Given a bus full of people with lots of kids milling around, this could have been a crowded mess. Instead the main figures pop right out and despite the crowd the story is instantly clear. Baker has thought everything through. He cuts no corners. Each background character is drawn as an individual, each doing something: carrying a drum, pulling on a jacket, calling to a friend on the bus. As for those main figures...sure, Linda is super cute and deliciously sexy, but that's only the beginning. Look at the posing and drawing of the hands. Check out the folds on her sleeve where it bunches up at the shoulder. And the folds on her skirt as it rides up just enough to reveal a hint of underwear. If you can take your eyes off Linda, look at Lothario's shirt and trousers. This is drawing, folks!

*Sigh* End of diatribe. This wonderful cover is typical of St. John romances. It shouts out a promise of lots of sex--lots of young sex!--and the insides deliver nothing of the sort. The stories have nothing to do with either teenagers or temptations. They aren't bad for what they are, though. The plot of "Fighting for My Love" has some substance. The three- and four-pagers aren't satisfying because they move too fast. The artwork is pretty good (though pale compared to the cover). Bernard Sachs is perfect for romances. His DC-style inking is crisp and classy. I really like the "rubes" in "Carnival Come-On Girl." The gags in "Comedy Column" are so lame. Reading the small print I discover they were cribbed from an old joke book.

Just as exciting as the Teen-Age Temptations cover is, so is the New Romances cover boring. Did a cute couple blowing dandelions really attract readers? The art is the star of this comic, beginning with a great Alex Toth story and finishing with solid jobs by Art Saaf and, especially, Mike Sekowsky. Sekowsky is wasted on superheroes. He really shines on real-world stuff like this. I'm a huge Toth fan. His clean design and interesting compositions appeal to me. For this story, though, he must have been crowding a deadline. First look at the care he puts into the background orchestra on page 7, panel 3. Then look at the first panel on page 12. This is the climactic scene, but not only does he omit the background, he doesn't even draw the two most important characters. When Dan makes his heart-breaking speech in the next panel we get a random close-up of his hand! Shame, Alex, shame. The script for this story is the best in the book, however. It delivers a nice bittersweet ending. Although at my age I wish the old guy would win once in a while! The other stories are standard fare. The treacle in "Love My Dogs" is a bit overwhelming.

New Romances reminds me how many 50s romance stories deliver moral messages. A girl deviates from accepted norms, then circumstances show her the error of her ways. Having sex, when mentioned, is the most common sin. Rowdy behavior is next. Girls party too heavily or run around with the Bad Sort of boys. Other girls are tripped up by romanticism, selfishness, greed, snobbery, or social climbing. Many 50s romance stories have character-driven plots, like the Toth story. However the majority seem to caution girls that the world is dangerous and only cleaving to traditional values will protect them. The odd thing is that 50s boys' comics hardly ever present a message at all, unless it's "might makes right."

As we know, the majority of romance comics were written by men. Did they feel a duty to school their daughters when they wrote romances--a duty they didn't feel when writing adventures for their sons?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:24:58 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 07:37:54 AM »

Decided to compare the first two stories in each.

Fighting For My Love (TAT) - Gee, a love story with a choice between an honest guy & a bookie... which way will this go? *rolls eyes*

Man Of My Heart (NR) - Gee, a love story with a choice between an old guy & a young guy... which way will this go? *rolls eyes*

Well, the writers didn't really stray from the expected outcomes, not that the stories were bad, just predictable.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 11:38:51 PM »

One general impression I had about Teen Age Temptations though is that the stories did not seem like they portrayed teenagers, these stories were much more grown up and that cover, whoa that's lurid. There's a rape gonna happen after he gets her back to the car.

In the late 50's in the Southern States and other US states where the weather was warm most of the time most teenage girls were very much hot to trot. I was still a youngster then but saw and heard enough to say with confidence that the 60's had very little on the 50's when it came to sex, but during the 60's they weren't all planning to get married the moment they graduated or just quit school at the first legal opportunity which was 16 in this state, even though the age of majority was still 21. They could be fairly sure the parents would give their permission since most adults around here had married at 15 or even younger.

Most people today don't realize just how few laws concerning sex in films and books existed back then and how lacking in enforcement those laws were.
US films had a number of restrictions on nudity but the local theatre showed plenty of foreign films with full Monty and never bothered to ask the age of the patron. At twelve I was very much surprised to see at the theatre very realistic sexual assaults, full frontal shots, and B&D in foreign films I had seen on TV in the censored versions.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Week 109 - Saint Valentine's Romance Comparison
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 06:27:51 AM »

Cap'n A, I believe your description of the loose 50s in the south, but you sure had a different 50s than I did! I was seven by the time we returned to the States (1956) and spent two years in Alabama. If there was hot stuff going on around me I was too young to notice it. By the time my hormones started waking up I was living in a small town in western Washington and things there were very buttoned up. When I was in grade school the Forbidden Fruit was Playboy magazine, which was sold behind the counter in a few places. I sneaked a couple of glances at someone's brother's copy. Compared to today's universal access, those days were staggeringly lacking in sexually-explicit material. We just saw what was on the covers of paperbacks and magazines. One night every couple of weeks the local theater would have an Adults Only movie night, about which the whole town clucked. The movies were those old lightweight explo films; I don't believe they showed more than bared bosoms & butts. I never heard anyone admit to attending. I certainly didn't, because even if I could have sneaked out of the house (I couldn't) kids were streng verboten. So were wives, I understand.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 07:57:07 PM »

I am going to plough straight on into this week's comparison, with teeth gritted and a steely determination.

New Romances starts with what at first sight looks like a rather silly cover. But I think it is actually somewhat disturbing on various levels, and I certainly would not like to be left alone with that couple!! Hopefully, we won
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 07:47:36 PM »

"Teenage Temptations" Loved that Matt Baker cover. The story (Fighting for my Love) was interesting all the way through (considering the genre and the age it was aimed at), and the art was a notch above the usual.

"New Romances" cover might as well have been the cover for ANY NUMBER of generic women's mags of the time...probably was...The Toth/Peppe art was a pleasure to look at, and made up for the clutter that often came with the Standards' lay out...lots and lots of exposition.

By the way, the line in the jewelry store about the one boyfriend being mistaken for the father? When she graduated into high school, my daughter had really applied herself and as a reward I took her out to THE OLIVE GARDEN (her fave restaurant at the time.) So she gets all dolled up, and off we go, me in a jacket as well.. Anyway, I'm fairly dark, my kids very blonde, and everyone sort of sneered or curled their lips at us as we came in...gave off this "Ewwww Roman Polanski..." vibe.
She still calls me sometimes and says:'Mr. Polanksi? You said we'd have some lasagna..."
Breaks me up every time.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 12:57:14 AM »

cool story Mr. Pol..er I mean Morgus
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.