in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

This might be a longshot but......

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: This might be a longshot but......  (Read 3722 times)

OzNimbus

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: OzNimbus
message icon
This might be a longshot but......
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:24:01 AM »

....Maybe you guys can help!   

First time poster here.  I'm not a "serious" collector by any means, but I was wondering if this rings any bells:

Waaaay back in 1981 or so, I happened upon this huge book in our local public library.  It was an encyclopedia or lexicon of comic books.   I recall it went into detail about a number of comic book publisher's histories, as well as printed many of the stories.....  And this really blew my hair back, as it showed a bunch of crazy science fiction stuff, and most notably, Daredevil & The Little Wiseguys.....   Now, I really remember the Little Wiseguys because in the story there was some kind of initiation rite going on & they were talking about stoning some poor kid!!!   Needless to say, this left a pretty big impression on a sixth grader used to "comics code" approved stuff!!  I dragged this book with me everywhere & it weighed a ton.... but man, the stories were amazing.

Anyway, I got nostalgic & stumbled across your site after googling "Daredevil & the Wiseguys."   Very cool site indeed, & I'm going to start checking out the Daredevil issues.   But, my question is, has anyone ever encountered this book?  I remember discussing this book with a friend of mine years later in college & he immediately knew what I was talking about.   However, he said it's no longer published & I still can't remember the title!   I haven't encountered the book since.  Just one of those things from my childhood I'd like to resolve.

Again, I know it's a longshot, but if anyone has encountered a comic book lexicon that's heavy on the golden-age stuff, your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-0z-
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: This might be a longshot but......
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:09:21 AM »

Waaaay back in 1981 or so, I happened upon this huge book in our local public library.  It was an encyclopedia or lexicon of comic books.   I recall it went into detail about a number of comic book publisher's histories, as well as printed many of the stories.....  And this really blew my hair back, as it showed a bunch of crazy science fiction stuff, and most notably, Daredevil & The Little Wiseguys.....   Now, I really remember the Little Wiseguys because in the story there was some kind of initiation rite going on & they were talking about stoning some poor kid!!!   Needless to say, this left a pretty big impression on a sixth grader used to "comics code" approved stuff!!  I dragged this book with me everywhere & it weighed a ton.... but man, the stories were amazing.

However, he said it's no longer published & I still can't remember the title!   I haven't encountered the book since.  Just one of those things from my childhood I'd like to resolve.

Again, I know it's a longshot, but if anyone has encountered a comic book lexicon that's heavy on the golden-age stuff, your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-0z-

The book is/was The Crawford Encyclopedia of Comics, 0z and if you still want a copy, I have one left over from when I was running Bud Plant Illustrated Books. It's Fine in a Fine dj, 1978 1st printing. For ten bucks it's yours (if offering things for sale isn't against site policy, that is).

Peace, Jim (|:{>

Peace,
ip icon Logged

OzNimbus

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: OzNimbus
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:15:24 AM »

Sure thing, check your Private Msgs
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »

I was actually talking about the Crawford encyclopedia with Jim a while ago.  It's generally regarded as horrible scholarship and held in low regard.  But I found a copy in the library 20 or so years ago and it's largely what sparked my interest in the golden age.  For all the horribly inaccurate history it's just wonderful for conveying a sense of the wonder of the Golden Age.  So while I will never recommend it as an actual reference I'm still incredibly fond of it, and was very happy when I finally found my own copy a decade or so ago now.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 08:00:14 PM »

I was actually talking about the Crawford encyclopedia with Jim a while ago.  It's generally regarded as horrible scholarship and held in low regard.  But I found a copy in the library 20 or so years ago and it's largely what sparked my interest in the golden age.  For all the horribly inaccurate history it's just wonderful for conveying a sense of the wonder of the Golden Age.  So while I will never recommend it as an actual reference I'm still incredibly fond of it, and was very happy when I finally found my own copy a decade or so ago now.

I know I own a copy myself, Eric,
but I can't recall ever reading it all the way through. It may be due to the inaccuracies you mention, but I simply don't recall. It was a long time ago. I'll tell you one book that I nearly threw across the room when I tried to read it was "Comic Book Nation." Talk about a poorly researched and written effort! I'm surprised that it ever got published.

Michelle Nolan's latest on Romances is pretty good, but it's still too "numbers" heavy, IMHO. But then I always want books that speak to me not to the general fan public. However, it's probably best that people don't write books meant for me - it's a fairly limited audience.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:29:59 PM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.