in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 117 - Hastings Associates - Eerie Tales

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 117 - Hastings Associates - Eerie Tales  (Read 2536 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 117 - Hastings Associates - Eerie Tales
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »

Last week's book Vic Torry and His Flying Saucer was a bit of a strange one. It was judged as a hit, but some of us (not me) liked it more than others (me).

Anyway, this week we have another one shot. It is from Hastings Associates who appear to have published just one book. IE: This one! It was suggested by one of our brave and sturdy members, who said it "looked promising". After, having a quick browse, I would agree.

I also notice that Unclerobin (now deceased) recommends the book and says that his favorite story is "The Unbeliever" ... so this is the one we will concentrate on. Eerie Tales can be found here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=28369.

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 117 - Hastings Associates - Eerie Tales
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:33:26 AM »

Loved it. Sort of what would have happened if Gaines had also put out a horror black and white along with MAD. Okay, the writing would have been better, some of the stories fell short..but the art had a lot of the usual suspects from E.C. empire. THE UNBELIEVER was the best and deserves to be remembered more.  Weird: every now and then, the host's profile would remind me of D.C.'s BOB HOPE!  So is THIS the place where they got the idea for the Eerie/Creepy line???
ip icon Logged

Ratty

message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:47:04 AM »

Yeah this reminds me a LOT of the later Warren magazines like, well, EERIE. Great stuff.

As for the specific story "The Unbeliever" I got a kick out of the pun at the end. "Tell me, are you still DOUBTING, THOMAS?" "Doubting Thomas" being a term to describe an "overly" skeptical person, in reference to the apostle who refused to believe in Jesus's resurrection until he could inspect/feel of Jesus's wounds.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:49:56 AM by Ratty »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 01:54:53 AM »

The Stalker - Good art, okay story.

Gunk - Eh. Interesting idea that just kinda went nowhere.

The Suckspect - Not bad.

Burn - Eh. Were we supposed to be rooting for the obsessed, borderline psycho cop?

Shroud Number Nine - Eh. I liked the voodoo doll twist, but the rest of the story not so much.

Frozen Stiff - Yeesh, not only is it a text story, it's a too be continued text story. Ugh!

The Unbeliever - Not bad, although the punny punchline was a bit over the top.

Shocked to Death - Eh.

From the Greyble to the Grave! - Okay.

Little Miss Gruesome - Predictable.

Lower Than Hell - Okay.

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 08:53:15 PM »

I certainly have a different reaction to this book from other readers. At first I was dazzled by the great art: Williamson, Morrow, Torres, Tuska, Orlando. If I'd stopped there I'd have given the book a 10. Once I read it I had a change of heart.

Let's start with the stories. Bad enough that there's so much text that the old British comics I grouse about read like Hemingway in comparison. Several seem like meandering first drafts. They're loaded with irrelevant detail. Though short, they strain so hard to reach the "surprise" ending that they seem to run on forever.

Take "Burn" for example. How many times in four pages must the manic cop yell "He's got to burn"? Why is the killer an eight-foot, 300-pound monster whom the cops know on sight? I love how the sane cop tells Mac "you hunted him down" when actually the pair just happen to see Jojo meander by on the street and chase him. I get the impression this story started out as something entirely different and new text was slapped on in an effort to make it eerie.

"The Unbeliever" at least has an interesting premise, though again it simply repeats the same situation several times before delivering its punchline.

The magazine's biggest problem is abysmal production. It must have been thrown together overnight. Some of the stories are cut up from art intended for newsstand-size comics. The tip-off is the awkward layout with lots of white space and huge, ugly black filler images. Even stories apparently drawn for this publication suffer. The text is trimmed too tightly, placed poorly and applied sloppily. Nothing is consistent. One story has a hand-lettered title, a couple have large typeset titles, and the rest have tiny typeset titles that look like afterthoughts. The point size of the dialogue varies from story to story, or even within a single story. Then there's that text feature. It ends in mid-stream with "Continued next issue" scrawled after the final paragraph. Obviously the editor wound up with three empty pages and filled them with a story he had lying around. So what if the story was four pages long?

Need proof how little care Joe Simon put into this mess? Check out the second balloon in panel 3, page 14. I quote: "...Let the Queen prove she is not a vampire! Queen stands erect and King angrily defends her." Yes, the writer's instruction to the artist has been lettered into the dialogue!

Though the presence of artists like Williamson seems to presage the Warren black-and-whites, in overall feel Eerie Tales is more like those Myron Fass shlockers.

Two final questions. (1) How can ugly Hulda walk in public (page 43 panel 4) without someone noticing her head is on backward? (2) Are we to understand that after the departed are gender-segregated into separate graveyards, the corpses rise every night so they can hook up? At least that is an unusual story premise.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:14:07 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 10:00:17 PM »

Are we to understand that after the departed are gender-segregated into separate graveyards, the corpses rise every night so they can hook up? At least that is an unusual story premise.

It could have been the start of a whole new genre. Tales of Zombie Love. "They tried to seperate us in different graveyards, but I had to see my man!"  ;)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 10:03:25 PM »

An interesting little yarn I liked it
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »

With a painted cover this comic has more of a pulp feel. So lets see what is inside ....

The Stalker: Not bad at all, I like the art and boy we even have a babe in a negligee. I found the baseball analogy a bit tiresome, but the twist is ok.

Gunk: The art in this is excellent. The gunk story started terribly, BUT it ended with a bang. This has a Mister Mystery / OTR feel to the announcer.

The Suckspect: Ah, I see we do have a announcer aka "Morgue Keeper".

"'Tis naught, beloved Sza-Sza! But nay! I must tell thee the truth for thine own good! A number of people have been attacked by a vicious vampire"

It's a pity the vampire didn
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.