in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,778 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 118 - Crackajack Funnies #21

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 118 - Crackajack Funnies #21  (Read 2901 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 118 - Crackajack Funnies #21
« on: April 13, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »

So last week's book a one shot from a single issue publisher Hastings Associates - Eerie Tales certainly raised a few eyebrows. I think it is fair to say that the book encompassed the best and the worst of comics (mainly the worst). Oh and Crashryan I also notice that "stage direction". Most bizarre and interesting that it got left in. There are a couple more strange bits like that!

Ok .. so this week's book's main story is certain to be a massive hit! We are reading Crackajack Funnies 21
and it is up to you to choose the main story and "make it good". I'll be doing a cover to cover and this really does look EXCELLENT!!!

We have two versions to choose from either https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=46361 or https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=60302

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 118 - Crackajack Funnies #21
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 08:32:20 PM »

My eyes were playing tricks when I first saw the title. I was wondering why there'd be a comic book about Carjacking bunnies.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 09:32:09 PM »

Better get those cataracts fixed, Cap'n A!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 12:16:15 AM »

I choose Clyde Beatty because of the words THE END rather than TO BE CONTINUED. It was a big disappointment. I am not a fan of newspaper strip reprint comics. Either the stories continue or they compact like Clyde. It was obvious there were several panels left out. You could get the story so I give it ups for that and the art. The story was so predictable and everything that was going to happen was broadcast way early.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 02:26:55 AM »

Read the whole thing and liked it...sure some of the stories were sub par...but turn two pages and next batter up. You got everything but the kitchen sink. Big value for the dime. You even had culture icons like Red Ryder. My favorite part was the Smith Johnson ad...the one sort of sad part...those panels with just word balloons and maybe a head at the bottom...reminded me of Charles Crumb's work shown in CRUMB. As his illness got worse, the scripts got more and more important and the pics took a bigger back seat. Wound up looking a lot like what you saw in this weeks comic. That was creepy. Not intended to be, but creepy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:37:13 AM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 10:01:27 PM »

Read the whole thing. Two favorites were Stratosphere Jim and oddly enough Don Winslow. Jim and his partner find a cave with a running river through it, and a huge Chinese Idol! Interesting set-up almost super heroish. Also they have a "Super Plane"! nice art and story premise if somewhat not quite there. Maybe it developed better as the strip went on. I have to say I'd read the Fawcett version of Don Winslow previously and was not impressed, found it boring and the artwork just didn't work for me even though it is better than this version. However this version's crudeness works to it's advantage here. The pre-war fervor and paranoia presented here reminds me of today's America oddly somehow.

The portrayals of Africans is again a sore spot in this book as well as the obvious bigotries of the day. Sadly some of this still exists today. Liked Red Ryder for what it is. The rest? Meh! Just my 2 cents. (Why is there no cents key? LoL).

Richard Boucher AkA Mr_Goldenage
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 11:51:41 PM »

I've always liked Crackajack and other comics collections, such as King, Magic, Sparkler, The Funnies, etc. Although I rarely read all the stories there was always something I enjoyed. Too bad it is missing the "Tarzan" feature, even if it was only a text story.
Starting out with four pages of  the great Don Winslow, I jumped ahead to another favorite, "Stratosphere Jim". Great story with pretty decent art. If you think his super-plane was cool, check out Crackajack 30 to see his "Flying Fortress"! For the aircraft fanciers among us, imagine a B-49 "Flying Wing" reversed and fitted with a huge fuselage and a twin tail. This beast carried 6" and 8" cruiser guns along with lots of .50 calibers. The wings were full of fuel tanks(!?!) and a spot for Jim's private aircraft which could be launched and recovered in flight. Exactly the kind of aircraft I would have designed at age ten. Damn the aeronautics- just stuff it full of firepower!
Had to read "Red Ryder" and liked it even with the stereotypes. Fast-paced with very good action panels.
Can't say the same for the next offering.  "Ed Tracer "G" Man x32" had so much dialog there was no room for the drawings!
I'll probably go back and read some of the other stories later. Loved this one- double thumbs up! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »

In This Corner - Nicely drawn fact comic, but basically trivia.

Don Winslow - As part of an overall storyline okay, but by itself not much really happens.

Looney Luke - Never been a big fan of this feature and this one doesn't change my opinion. The art's okay & the story, such as it is, tends to be complete, but it interested me less than the Don Winslow strips.

Myra North - Another sequence where the comic is "between stories" although more seems to happen here than in Don Winslow.

Hold Everything - Cute

Stratosphere Jim - Batman & Robin discover the Batcave... whoops, wrong series!  ;) (Actually, I believe this story predates the creation of the Batcave, still, at this point, Stratosphere Jim is basically a costumeless, plane-based vigilante.) Okay.

Wash Tubbs - Not bad. This is actually in the middle of a story.

Red Ryder
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »

Boy, I
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »

I'll bet I'm the last to comment...lost a few days for eye maintenance.

I like anthology comics if the strips are interesting. I much prefer it when they run 3 or more pages per strip rather than two; there's just not enough meat.

Starts off with a great cover. Alden McWilliams was the king of airplanes!

Don Winslow: I was surprised by the intensity of the paranoia. I thought all the spy craziness came after the US entered he war. Reminds me of today's terrorist hysteria. Don's sidekick makes me think of the guy Jerry Shuster drew in Slam Bradley--after he had a nose job.

Looney Luke: Racism aside, this is darn near incomprehensible. I suspect the writer had specific ideas on what should be in the panels and the artist copped out. What's with the gallons of sweat even when Luke isn't inside the mummy case?

Myra North: Didn't quite get the drift of this, since it wrapped up a soap opera plot. Decent artwork. So the agent wants Myra to come to Hollywood because she knows how to boss the actress around? Okayyyy...

Hold everything: raised a smile.

Stratosphere Jim: I first ran into Jim as a teenager, when I found the Whitman novelization. At the time I had no idea it came from a comic book. I went crazy for the planes, especially Jim's Flying Fortress. This early episode has only his superplane, which is still very cool. McWilliams was still working out how to draw people and backgrounds, but he was already up to speed on machinery. Not much storywise, though...building up to a new storyline.

Wash Tubbs: Great! Plenty of story despite being continued. Crane was a master of layout and slam-bang action. He was one of the few artists (I feel) who successfully combined cartoony artwork with straight storylines. You never notice the characters are bigfoot guys.

Red Ryder is one of those strips which I can appreciate for good artwork and decent stories, but I just can't get into. Plenty of excitement, though.

Out Our Way: meh.

Ed Tracer: a Dell original. I wondered whether or not the brother was a crook, so the author did his job. Not so bad except the dialogue flows in like the tide until it nearly drowns the artwork. Funny to see Ed turn into Pat Ryan with white hair, which makes him resemble Kerry Drake.

Apple Mary: Okay, I get it that the missing box is very important, but the story rambles on and on. Injecting broad humor into a melodramatic story just jumbles it up. I'm tossing the apple back at Mary.

Boots: Huh?

Our Boarding House.: I remember Our Boarding House from my grade-school days. It was a single panel in which some idiot bloviated endlessly in a single huge balloon, and I always fell asleep before the third sentence. Now here he is in an unfunny Sunday strip. Blah blah blah blah. Maggie and Jiggs did the battle of the sexes thing much better, and I hated that strip too.

Clyde Beatty: I didn't understand the big climax. They seem to have left out a few panels.

Win $25: No, win five dollars. I was a canny child, and saw through the "...in prizes" scam.

Bob Strong: The good old days when Great White Hunters went out and grabbed whatever no matter what the locals said. Bob's in the right, though, since the snake was being used for nefarious purposes. I like the line, "Iconis say master is welcome to big snake." All the "Copyright by R.S. Callender" stuff seems to be Dell originals.

Freckles: It's like two different strips. The author says, "Okay, funtime's over; let's have some drama." Unfortunately Freckles doesn't take part.

Fillers: meh.

Dan Dunn: Better than the radio play anyway. Typical second-string secret agent stuff.

Johnson Smith: I want to print a newspaper while watching a movie and firing my blank cartridge pistol at a live chameleon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:24:07 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.