in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 120 - Baseball Comics #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 120 - Baseball Comics #1  (Read 2554 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 120 - Baseball Comics #1
« on: April 29, 2016, 06:53:58 PM »

Last week's Invisible Scarlet O'Neil was a definite, but muted hit with the reading group. For me, currently living in Franticville, it was a great hour or so to chillax with her and the rest of the book.

Hopefully this week's book will give us all a bit  of inspiration. It is Baseball Comics #1 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=41543 We will concentrate on "Rube Rooky Climbs Up From the Pit"

I am hoping our comic book historians can explain a bit about this book!

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Week 120 - Baseball Comics #1
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »

A great choice for your reading club Mark!
:D

I had great fun editing this one a while back.  It was Einser's attempt at getting his own publishing company running and you would think the topic would be a natural to sell like hotcakes.  He's done a Great Job on the artwork and it has some very funny moments sprinkled into the story.
Sadly the title was a one-shot.  Perhaps the 1949 timing could have been better.  I'm sure the gang here will enjoy this.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »

I have little interest in sports, whether in the real world or in comic books. So I'll hand it to Will Eisner: he made baseball almost interesting. The story is quintessential Eisner. On one side we have a sentimental vision of the heroism of the working-class underdog; on the other a cynical vision that the world is dominated by corrupt schemers and femmes fatales.  I liked the package a lot, with some reservations.

The artwork is wonderful. Given lighter stories, Eisner amps up the cartoony component of his style. The ballplayers' wildly exaggerated poses really sell the action. Even in the historical feature you can feel speed, strain, and impact. One odd note is the way that the crooks seem to be caricatures of real people. They're a little too realistic to fit into a world of outright cartoon characters. It made me wonder if they were drawn by assistants. A lot of effort went into this production: backgrounds, crowd scenes, novel layout effects to keep the game sequences both interesting and understandable.

To me, the concept is limited by Rube himself. He follows in the footsteps of Joe Palooka: a golden-hearted, slightly-dim, straight-arrow hayseed who becomes a sports star. I wonder why that cliche was so popular in early-20th century pop culture. We seldom see a sports star with an urban background, or a sharp-witted, intelligent hayseed. The problem is that there's not much drama in a noble naif. His thorough goodness limits what he can do without breaking character. A perfect example is when Joe Palooka joined the Army in WWII. Being the hero, he had to be in the thick of the fight, but he couldn't even wound someone, let alone kill them. The writers had to come up with convoluted storylines in which Joe could go to war without hurting anybody.

In the same way Rube is limited to making small mistakes. He can't really be led astray by the vamp. He can't get too angry. Though he can be taken in by swindlers, he can't be too badly burned or else he'd just look stupid. His vengeance is limited to a right to a miscreant's jaw, after which he  forgives his enemy without a second thought. Though Rube can doubt himself, he always pulls himself out of it before any real damage is done.  Given a hero like that, conflict must come from supporting characters. Unfortunately Pop Flye doesn't have much of a personality and Sunny has none at all. Had the series progressed I would have liked to see the other Badgers fleshed out. They're all reformed (or semi-reformed) jailbirds, after all. Eisner would have had great fun with them.

Despite these gripes, I found the comic entertaining and well worth reading. Two mitts up.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 11:56:39 PM »

What can you say? It's Will Eisner, and it's great. Did anyone get the ideas of speed and motion across better on a stationary medium? The angles and small details, the framing. You could learn so much from this guy his comics could send you through college.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 10:48:24 AM »

Art great story completely a waste
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 07:46:58 AM »

I have only just opened the cover on this, and am already heading off on a tangent. The Uncle Dan'ls Trading Post advertisement, has got me intrigued.

1) What are/were jet propellant cartridges? I have seen "real jet planes" advertised before .. are these for them?

2) The signal mirror "reflects up to ten miles", how do you supercharge a mirror and can you see reflections 10 miles away?

3) At the beginning of the everything is atomic and cool era, the compass proudly claims a "radium painted needle".

4) The mask looks "well dodgy" and as for the rain cape???

On to the main Rube Rooky feature. After a couple of pages I thought this was yawn making and then suddenly it all clicked. I really liked both parts of the story. The art was excellent! There are a few teasers in the book, and you wonder what was planned and why this was not a hit.

"Don't miss the next issue issue of Baseball Comics as Rube Rooky faces his first World Series"

The 2 page non-fiction text article "The '49 Recruits" paints a pretty grim picture of life as a rookie a 100 odd years ago. Basically it said if you were successful the old-timers did whatever they could to put you off your game, and keep their careers going. Eg: bats sawn in half and boots nailed to floors!!! 

"The Sunday Ride of Babe Herman Dodgers vs Braves" - As I am (reluctantly) English, the niceties of baseball pass me by. So, this pretty much went over my head!

Verdict: A hit and it is a shame it is a one shot!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 06:54:20 PM »

I was surprised to see those "jet propellant cartridges" for sale. There was a scare about them when I was in Junior High. As I understood it the cartridges were supposed to be used for inflating life rafts and life jackets. They were sold as Korean War surplus. The cartridges were steel capsules several inches long filled with some kind of gas (carbon dioxide?). The pinched end had a plug. When you punched the plug out, the gas escaped and the capsule took off like a rocket. We were told that many kids had destroyed property and injured themselves playing with the things. They really were like a giant bullet. I handled several of them, but I never knew anybody who opened one. I'm not sure how the advertiser figured the buyer would activate his jet engine. Maybe he recommended a hammer and nail (sold separately).
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 03:56:24 AM »

Didn't have much free time on the computer last week.

Rube Rooky - Cute. Not a baseball fan, but it was a fun read.

The '49 Recruits - Interesting. Wonder which, if any, of those rookies made it?

The Sunday Ride of Babe Herman - Funny.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.