in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,780 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Public Domain or Not Slider

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Public Domain or Not Slider  (Read 53293 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Public Domain or Not Slider
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2010, 12:35:49 AM »

Scattered within a series is usually not going to be a problem. It would not be worthwhile for DC to complain about the issues we have onsite that were renewed among those that were not and freely available. Yes they could but not likely. And DC has been very unconcerned about known bootleg sites of their new books so the old ones should not present a problem. Final decision is up to Janus
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2010, 01:49:01 AM »

New Adventures of Pinocchio published by Dell copyright 1962 by videocraft internation ltd. was this renewed?
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2010, 02:45:12 AM »

All I found was renewals for the 130 "New Adventures of Pinocchio" cartoons, but nothing online for the comics.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 03:16:23 AM »

New Adventures of Pinocchio published by Dell copyright 1962 by videocraft internation ltd. was this renewed?

That was the comic based on Rankin/Bass's first "Stop-Motion" TV Series :)
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 03:53:18 AM »

Scattered within a series is usually not going to be a problem. It would not be worthwhile for DC to complain about the issues we have onsite that were renewed among those that were not and freely available. Yes they could but not likely. And DC has been very unconcerned about known bootleg sites of their new books so the old ones should not present a problem. Final decision is up to Janus

If there might be issues with the issues (Atleast with the ones DC Renewed),then they shuld be taken down. I'd hate to see stuff removed, but better to be safe than sorry.

On the flip side, this ads to my argument that pre-DC issues of  New Comics/More Fun/New Adventures
(and the annuals) that are not under copyright  should be hosted (Provided scans can be found!)
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 04:49:35 AM »

Regarding Blackhawk:  Were the Copyrights owned by Mrs Arnold transferred to DC (there should be a record of this somewhere, if not online, then at least on-file at the Copyright Office)?  If not, did Busy & Clare have any children?  If the answer to both is "No", then the books could be considered "Orphaned Works" as there wouldn't be any living Copyright Holders.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2010, 05:13:47 AM »

All I found was renewals for the 130 "New Adventures of Pinocchio" cartoons, but nothing online for the comics.

Looking forward to seeing this.

Loved the TV Shows - used to see the reruns on Canadian TV when I lived in Buffalo as a kid in the mid-1970's
ip icon Logged

skybandit

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: skybandit
message icon
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2010, 08:24:13 AM »

did Busy & Clare (sic) have any children?

Good point about the orphaned works.  I've been mining the Blackhawks for images to use in a project of mine, but fortunately I started at the beginning of the series, and the few images from the copyrighted works are bits and pieces rather than entire adventures, so I can probably cry "fair use" if anyone bitchs about it.  Y'all had me worried I'd just threw away 3 months of photoshopping!

Another point is that Cash Gorman's research found NO record of copyright transfers from Quality to DC, so their renewals may not be valid anyway.  Maybe that's why nobody's complaining about all these "copyrighted" works being here: if Busy & Claire had no issue, and the DC copyrights are invalid, they ARE orphaned or PD! 

A case could also be made that since nobody has sent a C&D letter to GAC, they haven't defended (and therefore abandoned) their copyright, but from what I've read you'd better have an EXCELLENT lawyer to go that route!   

Let's not go into all the "Doll Man" and "Plastic Man" issues that were renewed, even though they're here, too :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:07:08 AM by skybandit »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »

copyright does not have to be defended but trademark does
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 11:32:58 AM »

...Let's not go into all the "Doll Man" and "Plastic Man" issues that were renewed, even though they're here, too :)

Leave that up to the administrators to worry about, I'm sure if there is a need to address it, they will.  - anything that might have slipped through is clearly "Fair use" as this is an educational site when you get right down to it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:42:53 AM by DennyWilson »
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2010, 02:16:02 PM »

Regarding Blackhawk:  Were the Copyrights owned by Mrs Arnold transferred to DC (there should be a record of this somewhere, if not online, then at least on-file at the Copyright Office)

Just want to amend this statement.  After reading a little more, it looks as if all DC would have to do is prove that they are the legal Copyright Owners.  From what I understand, it isn't mandatory that this "proof" be recorded at the Copyright Office (especially for the issues that were renewed by Clare Arnold), only that a legal document exists that proclaims that Clare Arnold passed ownership over to DC at some point.

To clear something up real quick:  An "Orphaned Work" is not the same thing as "Public Domain".  In the case of Orphaned Works, it has to be shown that an attempt has been made to determine & contact the legal Copyright Owners before reproducing the work in any format.  As far as this site is concerned, my opinion is that Orphaned Works have a place here, as there would be no legal owners of the books who would be able to reproduce the material for the mass market.

From what I've read, it looks as if there's a limited amount of time DC has to take action (I assume from the date the files were created) IF they were the legal Copyright owners.  DC would not be "abandoning" the Copyright, IF they are the legal owners, based solely on the fact that they have not taken any type of action against GAC, but after that period of time has passed, they would be unable to start a "Criminal Proceedings" or "Civil Action".
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2010, 05:54:32 AM »

Hi all

I was just surfing for something completely different and found this slider to see if something is public domain or not (and if not, when the copyright will expire).  It's US, so it applies there only, but I thought you all would be interested.

http://librarycopyright.net/digitalslider/

The one I didn't know about was stuff published up to 1977 without a copyright notice...  This must be why some movies from the 60's are public domain... I wonder if it applies to many comics?

Peter

I've read that while the film "Night of the Living Dead" has some copyright protection, copies of the film made from early prints don't violate copyright because due to an oversight a number prints were delivered to theatres without a copyright notification in the credits. Later prints have the notification and any copy made from those prints would violate copyright law.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2010, 01:19:20 PM »

What exactly constitutes a legal copyright notice? Charlton used the phrase International copyright secured. That is not enough. If it includes the date is that enough? If it says International copyright secured 19xx and included Charlton Comics Group is that valid?
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »

What exactly constitutes a legal copyright notice? Charlton used the phrase International copyright secured. That is not enough. If it includes the date is that enough? If it says International copyright secured 19xx and included Charlton Comics Group is that valid?

Not sure, as it would probably vary by date, as copyright laws change.

From the Public Domain Super Heroes site article on the THUNDER Agents:
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/T.H.U.N.D.E.R._Agents
Tower Comics never registered its titles with the US copyright office, nor did it include a correct copyright notice on their books. The copyright notice on the first issue was not in the proper location of the book which under copyright law at the time of it's publication had to be "either upon the title page or upon the first page of text of each separate number or under the title heading." Secondly, it was hidden in the artwork, which goes against the part of the law that stipulates that "The notice should be permanently legible to an ordinary user of the work under normal conditions of use and should not be concealed from view upon reasonable examination." According to US copyright law, all works published between 1923-1977 that did not comply with copyright law became public domain upon publication. So, because the first issue had an incorrect notice, the characters fell into the public domain.

Does that help?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »

The fact that some judge ruled that Carbonno could pull the Thunder Agents out of pd and get the rights to them does not make things easy. My question really concerns the wording of the copyright statement that makes it legal or not. Mainly concerning Charltons. Doubtful there would be any problems as their value has not proven worth fighting for. Last reprints of Charlton and ACG did not seem to be very profitable.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2010, 08:41:08 PM »

The fact that some judge ruled that Carbonno could pull the Thunder Agents out of pd and get the rights to them does not make things easy. My question really concerns the wording of the copyright statement that makes it legal or not. Mainly concerning Charltons. Doubtful there would be any problems as their value has not proven worth fighting for. Last reprints of Charlton and ACG did not seem to be very profitable.

Well, my post was to basically give some general info about the copyright laws at the time the Charltons would have been produced, assuming you mean Silver Age ones, as well as the idea that you would have to know the law at the time the comics were produced. Not sure what the answer is.

Doesn't anyone on this site have some intellectual rights lawyer friends ;-)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2014, 07:42:48 PM »

"With the thousands of books here, I don't miss the few we could potentially host."

No kidding.  You could spend YEARS here, reading stuff every day, and never run out of new things to find and enjoy!
ip icon Logged

Maxmax

message icon
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2021, 02:17:47 PM »

Hi
Any information about that? Renewed or not? Public domain?
Thank you
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.