in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hey. Introducing myself.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hey. Introducing myself.  (Read 2156 times)

Dragonator96

message icon
Hey. Introducing myself.
« on: May 25, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »

Hey. I'm Dragonator96. I love public domain things because I'm a big fan of free stuff, and that's a big reason why I wanted to join this site.
I love manga, and after going to Free Comic Book Day 2016 in a nearby store, I wanted to read more comics in general. I decided to Google search public domain comic books, and this site was what came up. I'll most likely be looking at the kids/teens, fantasy, and superhero sections.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Hey. Introducing myself.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:51:36 AM »

Glad that Google directed you here enjoy
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:04:34 PM »

Welcome Dragonator96.  Lots of excellent superheroes here.  Also lots of obscure superheroes, which is what I enjoy.
ip icon Logged

greenpear

message icon
New to this site. Old to comic books themselves...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 02:59:46 PM »

Found this site with the question, "I wonder how many Public Domain SuperHeroes there are?" The answer, way more than I imagined. My reason for downloading is an art project using these characters within the realm of Public Domain (where they live) vs. the Copyrighted Land (where all those other characters get to live.) Looking forward to learning more about these oft-times forgotten books.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:03 AM »

We look forward to your research and conclusions greenpear. Welcome
ip icon Logged

greenpear

message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »

narfstar, it's already much bigger than I anticipated. It's also a much more complex subject.

I'll need to look around to find the best forum to post to when I get started.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »

Greenpear...

You might want to try these 2 sites:

http://pdsh.wikia.com/

and

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/

You will find most of the characters you seek there. Also the Grand Comics Database and International Heroes sites.

Are you only interested in USA characters? Or, the other "English" speaking countries? Such as Australia, Canada, and the U.K.? Personally I take all of the world in from 1901 to whenever a particular country had their own "Goldenage" began and ended. Just my personal preference. Good luck!

Richard Boucher AkA Mr_Goldenage

Below asian movie super heroine BatWoman
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:18:21 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

greenpear

message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »

Currently I'm mining out the information on pdsh and I'm aware of comicvine.

I'm beginning with US characters only and that appears to be quite a large number. We'll see where it goes as I get more into the project. When I'm finished it will be contained in multiple excel sheets.

I'll add that this is my side project which means I only get to work on it when I'm not doing stuff to make a living. :)
ip icon Logged

Dragonator96

message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 01:59:48 AM »

It seems like a big project. Good luck, greenpear.  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.