in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 123 - Char Chapman, The Phantom of the East #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 123 - Char Chapman, The Phantom of the East #1  (Read 2853 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 123 - Char Chapman, The Phantom of the East #1
« on: May 25, 2016, 07:15:10 PM »

Ok, so we have had a week's slippage in the reading group's books. This is really week 124, but hey when you are over 100 every week is a bonus and we are on another one :)

Last week's (and a half) book Authentic Police Cases #28  was really great! I thoroughly recommend it especially to a few of our AWOL reading group members  :P

Right, so swiftly on to this week's book. It is an overdue foray into non U.S. territory. From the notes on the book it is an Australian book very crudely rebadged for the U.K. market. There are just 24 pages so it is a c2c for me, but we'll concentrate on the main feature "The Valley of the Ages".

You can find Char Chapman, The Phantom of the East #1 here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=29663

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Week 123 - Char Chapman, The Phantom of the East #1
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 03:22:37 AM »

I found Valley of the Ages pretty good. It was nothing exceptional but had decent art and an interesting enough story. Interesting that the series is titled after the secret identity rather than the superhero name.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:50:18 AM »

When I first saw the title I thought of "Wot, no Char?" That Kilroy-like guy from WWII. Then, having been brainwashed years ago during my kids' Pokemon obsession, I remembered that "Char" is also what charmanders say... all of which hasn't a thing to do with the comic. It's just that it's late and I'm getting incoherent.

Overall I enjoyed Char Chapman despite the stories, especially the first one, being choppy with several loose ends. For example we're told the triceratops (triceratopses?) must be exterminated because they carry deadly disease. However the natives--and our heroes too, for that matter--get along fine without getting sick. All the secret oil does is offend the critters so they don't come near you. Sort of like a reverse deodorant. Also the princess' motivations are murky. She seems to change her mind every other panel.

The art by Kevin Hardacre (is that the perfect adventure artist's name or what?) grew on me. At first I was put off by the clunky faces. Especially the "pretty" woman. Better luck next time, Kev. But Hardacre puts a lot of honest effort into the drawings and his animals and landscapes are quite good. It is funny, though, how Char's body suddenly buffs up when Hardacre pulls out his Burne Hogarth Tarzans.

A fun read.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:58:16 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:45:10 PM »

I've read both Char Chapman comics available here, and I find them on par with anything American from the same period (1953).  Perhaps the deserve some recognition in that many comic artists would have minimized the backgrounds.  Hardacre did show a lot of detail that others would have avoided in favor of foreground characters.

In retrospect, I note the acceptance of "hunting culture."  My experience with being around hunters has certainly changed since my days growing up in Chicago, to my later-in-life move to semi-rural Indiana.  I still don't get why people get a thrill out of shooting wild animals, it's just accepted more in my present surroundings than my former. 

At any rate, my 21st century sensibilities were surprised by a character's willingness to eliminate living triceratops, to say nothing of the Tigers (now facing extinction) and the idea of hunting down and killing a rare white panther for nothing more than a trophy.  I know times have changed, but this comic series is only 60 years old.  Not even a blip in the timesteam. 

Having read a few other Australian offerings from this site, I'm grateful to have any insight into differences in approach to subject and art in contrast to the "American" material I've read all my life.  ("American" as such.  As a Spanish teacher, I jokingly refer to things from the United States as "United Statesian".  American actually refers to the land from northern Canada to the tip of South America, making Guatamalans, Canadians, and Chilenos all "Americans".  I know, splitting hairs, but a necessary distinction for my classes.  But I digress)

Lately, I've been cruising through horror and crime titles from this library, mostly avoiding super heroes, which I believe I've read enough of to last me for the rest of my life.  As an avid new comics reader, that hunt for new perspective keeps me away from the Big Two and always experimenting with the smaller companies in hopes that I find something not completely derivative as is the case with Marvel and DC.  I just wish I knew French or Romanian to explore some of the titles archived on this site!

The Char Chapmans were an interesting experience. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:40 AM »

I get no DC or Marvel comics either. Image has a new story arc of Hawaiin Dick a humorous detective. Resident Alien is interesting as is Awake. Since you like things different
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 03:58:22 PM »

I enjoyed this comic. Despite Aus. comics being available at times in Scotland, I don't think I ever stumbled on this one. The first story is a bit Phantomy and Turoky, don't you think?  Perhaps an attempt to create another success like the "real" Phantom who is still popular in Australia.  But I did think, " poor old triceratops".  It's all a standard jungle hero story with the evil, power hungry witch doctor, the beautiful daughter of the king and a fight to the death involving wild animals - or dinosaurs, in this case.  Entertaining all the same.
This interview with Mr. Hardacre should shed some light on aspects of the PotE stories:-
http://comicsdownunder.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/interview-kevan-hardacre.html
I love this type of MMM and have to point out that the Char Chapman entry on International Hero is wrong about the costume, as it says he has no shirt and a "claw slash tattoo on his chest" 
The 2nd story is another standard jungle story, actually, a storyline that has appeared quite often in The Phantom.  The one thing that made me check back was after Char is thrown over the cliff and he re-appears as Phantom of the East, he has found an automatic from somewhere.  I can't figure out where it was hidden about his person.
I notice this comic was distributed in the UK by L. Miller. 
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 01:31:29 AM »

Lot of fun. Dug the glasses that looked right out of DEVO, some other 80's post punk band. When the hero started to turn into "Un-Phantom" (nothing to see here, copyright lawyers, move along, move along) I started to look for a dino and was NOT disappointed. One thing I thought of when I read this for the first time. And this is only because I was reading stuff about what the medieval times were RELLY like: the article mentioned everybody stunk and had lice...well I never thought about this before, but those skinned lions and tigers all the chiefs and medicine men wore on their heads must of ITCHED LIKE HELL. And had a pleasing manly order that would be popular around the cooking pot. Was grateful for the info on Australian comics...who knew?
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 03:48:10 AM »

Morgus, your comments made me think of something my wife's mother once told me. Back in the day she had crossed the Atlantic several times on ocean liners. She said that, not having air conditioning, passengers sweated a lot. Part of the tradition of passengers changing clothes a couple of times per day (e.g. dressing for dinner) was to minimize their body odor. Or so she said.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 02:54:41 AM »

The Valley of the Ages - Soooooo... nobody's ever been to this valley and as far as anyone knows it may just be a myth, rumor says it has examples of all prehistoric life and yet scientists are convinced that the triceratops, but not any other kind of dinosaur, has some kind of deadly disease so obviously they have find this valley and make the triceratops extinct. WHAT? Ignoring that rather large and gaping plot hole, it's an otherwise okay story, but yeesh. Art is nice.

Safari Spies - A better story.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 06:44:35 PM »

As soon as we start the book I have taken "agin" Char Chapman. A tiger hunter who is going to kill off the remaining triceratops is no friend of mine.

"Good heavens! It's a woman" Now there is a surprise ... yawn

"There is much work for the Phantom of the East ... " People who talk about themselves in the third person are pretentious wallies!

The second story annoyed me just like the first ... O what a good idea let's all go hunt the rare albino panther.... My main disappointment was that he avoided death by escaping from the net.

Verdict: I am sorry, but triceratops have always been my favourite dinosaur, I'd love a pet one!. Char Chapman condemning them to extinction, along with his tiger hunting and pretentiousness  means a complete fail. I hope I never bump across him again. The art was excellent though!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.