in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A Treasure Trove of Very Old Wonders

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: A Treasure Trove of Very Old Wonders  (Read 1777 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
A Treasure Trove of Very Old Wonders
« on: June 06, 2016, 01:42:43 AM »

I recently learned of an incredible resource for public domain literature. The British Museum has been uploading literally thousands of scanned publications. They've posted countless images (illustrations, cover pictures, etc.) on flickr, arranged into broad categories like "s-f" and "maps." The best part is that each of these images includes a link to a PDF file of the source publication! Just scratching the surface I've discovered a bunch of steam-age s-f novels, guidebooks and travelogues, and art and history publications. All superb scans. All completely FREE and solidly in the public domain.

CB+ members might especially enjoy the Museum's collection of two-penny papers. For example I downloaded a collection of the Aldine O'er Land and Sea Library, a grab bag of westerns, pirate stories, and detective yarns (The "Spotter" Detective; or, The Girls of New York!) It's something of a pain that all available issues of a title are grouped into one big file. The Aldine library comprises nearly 700 pages. A minor irritation given the abundance of riches the Museum offers.

I just uploaded to CB+ the Museum's copy of Funny Books for Children, a bizarre 1856 illustrated book in which naughty children suffer awful fates (like catching fire and burning to death).

Visit the British Museum flickr stream! You may end up spending hours there like I did. Here's a link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary/
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.