in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 125 - Space Adventures #49

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 125 - Space Adventures #49  (Read 5387 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 125 - Space Adventures #49
« on: June 08, 2016, 03:09:53 PM »

By the looks of it we are overdue for a roma... I mean sci-fi comic! Phew! So looking at the list I plucked this one out,  Space Adventures #49.

It can be found here: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=59501. I had a flick through and spotted the cover relates to the last story "His Own Kind" ... so we'll make that the one we concentrate on. It begins on our page 25.

Oh, and also any ideas of future reading material for the group will be gratefully received!

ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 125 - Space Adventures #49
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 04:29:13 PM »

how about Centaurs Stars & Stripes Comic # 1? Just a thought.

RB
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:32:47 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »

hmmm, this Comic looks familiar..

Rich,

how bout we read (or rather look at the pictures in) that kilink comic you have in the picture?
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 06:11:26 PM »

I wish....The Kilink comics I have I do believe are not PD. And....that photo is the DVD cover of the movie Kilink Vs The Flying Man aka Shajjam!

Great, but incomplete movie by the way.

Take care my friend.

Richard
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:14:01 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 11:54:42 PM »

Wow,

The time I spent reading Space Adventures #49, I'll never get back.  Some other comics cover dated the same month as this include Fantastic Four 15, Strange Adventures 153 (the faceless alien!!), Mystery in Space 84 (Adam Strange), Flash 137 (Vandal Savage returns!), Doctor Solar 4, and a host of others.

To say that Space Adventures didn't stack up very well against the competition would be a bit of an understatement. 

I even read the text story.  Go ahead, read it.  I'll wait right here......

........Pretty amazing stuff, no?  Did you get the impression it was a composition from a third-grader's English class too?

The feature/cover story was meandering gibberish.  I had no idea what was going on, and after a coupla pages, I didn't care.  That everything seemed to be Romance in Space wouldn't have bothered me if it was done well!  Or even passable.  How could a kid buy this comic and then willingly, thoughtfully, purchase the next issue?  With all the amazing, creative new stuff flowing onto the newsstands.......This?

Mark, You must have absolutely the most subtle, dry sense of humor to pull this one up for consideration.

Unless you got a soft spot for bad comic nostalgia (Brother Power, the Geek was EPIC compared to this) please be advised--your brain will hurt from this one.

Dave
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 03:42:48 AM »

umm, you know it is a Charlton book, no one is expecting an Eisner award from it.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 07:21:32 AM »

Unknown Hero - Wow! A female tentacle monster.  ;) Okay story, although why didn't he radio earth about the aliens?

The Key to Life - Okay, although I always wonder about stories like this when people freeze in place, how many people fell over, how many cars & planes crashed, etc., etc.

The Three Throgas of Threma - Okay story kind of marred by some formatting and typos.

Good-Will Ambassador - Cute, although one wonders why the crystal men bothered trapping Clendon there in the first place.

His Own Kind - Nice story, although I expected there to be a mention that McGee had been picked up by the ship's tracking them.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 07:26:28 AM »

I wish....The Kilink comics I have I do believe are not PD. And....that photo is the DVD cover of the movie Kilink Vs The Flying Man aka Shajjam!

Great, but incomplete movie by the way.

I think that was one of the movies on the DVD you sent me. IIRC it was odd, but interesting.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 12:31:53 PM »

I happen to like Nicolas/Alascia art, much better than the MOntes/Bache team. HIS OWN KIND was pretty bad and I very much enjoyed it. I like fast paced but this one was ridiculous. It seemed to start in the middle and leave out pages along the way. I think the reason that I like some of this stuff so much is that it causes me to revert back to an eight year old. All the stuff that does not make sense just does not matter. There was a lot that did not make sense or was just silly. The older me can not help wondering what monstrous demands were made on the men's strength.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 08:22:35 AM »

*Gro-o-o-an* Okay, from time to time Charlton did have good stuff buried amidst the dross. PAM westerns. Guest shots by Severin, Maneely, Williamson et al. Romance stories by talented Spanish and Mexican artists. But the majority of Charlton comics--hundreds, thousands of them--were like this one.

Scripts: Joe Gill at his worst. You can tell these things were banged out in a single draft. Meandering stories that change direction a couple of pages in, when Gill finally figures out how to end them. Generic dialogue. No sense whatever of character, time, motivation, anything. Like a pulp mag writer Gill likes to start his stories with his heroes in big trouble (see "His Own Kind") but he never gets round to telling us how they got into the jam in the first place. Too many of his stories, like "Good Will Ambassador," lack satisfying conclusions. They just sort of lumber to a stop on the last page. Speaking of "Good Will Ambassador," how about the sudden about-face on page 4? "You will die, Earth man. But in the meantime go down that stairway." Oh! Lookee here! An earth-like planet in the basement! "Yeah, the guys upstairs didn't mention it because they ignore us." So what happened to all the "our beautiful earth-like planet died, no oxygen left, blah blah blah" stuff?

Art: Bill Molno is the Joe Gill of comics artists. He never puts any thought or effort into anything. He fakes, cheats, and slops his way through story after story. He never rules a line, never cracks a reference book, and doesn't even bother to swipe from better artists. The best stories in the world--which these ain't--would pass unnoticed if this guy drew them. Rocco Mastroserio is a far better artist but he skates through this one. His figures are good but the backgrounds and hardware range from vague to nonexistent. That's important, because s-f comics are all about backgrounds and hardware. Unlike Molno, Charles Nicholas is a competent draughtsman. However his deadening sameness drives me nuts. The same faces with the same haircuts, the same poses, the same generic environments over and over and over.

"The Three Throgas of Threema" is weird. It sounds like it was written by a literate middle-schooler. It's not terrible, but it kind of wanders all over the map so when you reach the end you're unsure what the point was supposed to be. (The transposed lines didn't help.)

Sigh. There's something about Charltons that brings out the rant in me. Maybe it's significant that the still-active Charlton fan base acts as if the company began when Dick Giordano became editor, ignoring some three decades of stuff like this.

Badly-drawn thumbs DOWN!
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 03:29:15 AM »

Yeah, good ol' Charlton. Every 8 year old loved them. I know I did. The art was nearly always the same, and the stories just bombed along forgetting logic or anything else. Get in, get out, set up another one..and double talk and sci fi babble that I won't even try to reprint.  Hey, a punk rock black skull shirt...I want one I want one, you can look like Jimbo Jones from THE SIMPSONS with that...loved the ads for dollar martial arts and the revolutionary war scene on the back is one of my favourite ads. I think I enjoyed this one more for it's great summer memories then anything else...but I did enjoy it...sometimes when you see an ad you only vaguely remember it's worth the wading through the pages to get to it..
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 11:27:52 PM »

My problem with Space Adventures is the same as I had with toys as a kid. The advertising (box cover art or comic book covers) leads to unrealistic expectations about what is inside.

Most of the stories would be well worth reading if a little more work had gone into them. There are far too few panels and not enough dialogue.

As for the crewman abandoned in space a good twist would have been that the supposedly injured unconscious crewman was really a disaster drill dummy that mimicked the readings of an injured man. Knowing the pirates abandoned the wounded to die the dummy could have been fitted with a time delay tracking device to alert the shadowing cruisers to the exact position where the pirates attacked and give a clue to the direction the pirates then took.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »

Despite this whole comic being a poor effort on everyone's part, there is a certain something that makes me keep plodding through it, and it's certainly not the really bad astronomy, nor the bad/non-existant proof reading, nor the illogical plot changes, nor the, at best, sort of passable art. I think for me it's the nostalgia factor.  Were I holding and opening a physical version of this comic, I would feel a definite nostalgic pull, something that happens much more with Charlton than any other publisher's stuff.  Is it the paper?  The feel? The bad cutting of the pages? That typical Charlton art?  Possibly all of the above.
This wasn't a complete waste of time, but it wasn't very good.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »

Sometimes, nostalgia drives me nuts.

At the risk of offending everyone, (and I hope I don
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 03:30:58 PM »

The problem with nostalgia is that you can't not feel it at times, at least in my experience.  Probably because I wasn't exposed to GA comics to any great extent till 20 odd years ago, they don't make me feel nostalgic, my experience of them being too recent.  But Charlton comics were available here from time to time from the late '50's on and I remember seeing them in the early '60's.  I have to admit to preferring DC and Archie comics but Charlton obviously had an effect on me.
There is more than nostalgia playing a part in my reaction to old comics, fortunately.  Having been a fan of superheroes since as far back as I can remember, the treaure trove that GA comics threw at me when I discovered them was a real eye opener, and my love of that particular comics genre has scarcely diminished, although the "new" versions of those mainstream heroes leave me cold.  So, I'd been brought up with Marvelman, the Pte Strong Shield, Archie heroes, Captain Miracle, Miracleman, The Phantom etc. well, imagine my sheer delight at finding The Black Terror, and all those other Nedor heroes, and piles more from other GA American companies.
I know you're all saying something like, The Terror isn't exactly quality comics (well, it wasn't in it's early form, even if later the art was awfy good) but there is so much that is good in GA comics incl. the excitement and colour of all those amazing costumed heroes.
Nostalgia has to play a small part in our enjoyment of the form but an appreciation of the artwork and story telling is probably more important. 
Nostalgia and memory made me go and look for Rip Kirby; Buck Ryan; Jeff Hawke, Dell westerns and other "classics" that I recalled from my youth, so it has done some good for me. :)
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 08:20:11 PM »

Paw,

Your points on nostalgia are well stated.  Although I have a tendency to put it to the back end when critiquing something, it is, as you suggest, very much the motivating force in many things for many of us. 

I'm sure it was nostalgia that drove me back to 78 rpm records at first.  It was, however, discovering that certain music was only released in that format at one period in history, and never re-released that drove me to collect the things.

The same thing happened with science fiction appearing in Astounding and Galaxy that never saw republication. 

The standard justification among a group of us collectors years ago in Chicago was that we collected so that we'd have something good to read in our retirements.  (that we could actually afford to retire with all the stuff we get.....)  Little did we ever suspect that literally everything we sought then would be commonly available digitally today.  I still talk to a lot of guys who have to print stuff out to "get the right feel" when they read an old comic or pulp.  I've acquired a black ink laserjet printer for that specific reason!  Nostalgia at work again. 

I would guess that all of us see comics as an historically significant artform, but we also see them in our mind's eye, perhaps the mind's eye of an 8-year-old, as the wondrous escapist fantasy they are as well. 

I also think a person can be "nostalgic" for something he/she never experienced.  I have myself convinced I was born 20 years too late.  To have been 8 in 1942 instead of 1962, I would have been right there when comics peaked, when television's early network days blossomed in America, when Rock and Roll appeared.  As a "grown up" now, I also realize the impact of WWII and Korea, of Buddy Holly's last flight, of the Red Scare.  The visions of reality softened by the glow of nostalgia. 

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 10:17:52 AM »

Ok I know it's a Charlton, but I am determined to have fun with this comic, even if it is (as I suspect) bad.

Unknown Hero - "Well, HELLO Tania!" It was not too hard to enjoy this. The premise of a lone prospector picking random asteroids to mine, is my kind of low tech sci-fi.

The Key to Life - "Leading scientists to trigger cyranium bomb ... scoff at warning against doing it ... state positively it will have no harmful effects"

Apart from the scientists, yet again thinking they know better than the rest of us, this was a bit of a nothing story.

The Three Throgas of Threma - This features some very sloppy typesetting, including a line transposed followed later by garbled text. However, this was a rather interesting 2 page text story

Good-Will Ambassador - "Jon Clendon, astrogator of the space cruiser, was recording the beauty around him on color film ..."

Wow, it's good to know that in the future not only will we be out there exploring planets, but we will also  be are taking our snaps in COLOR!!!

Plus, lucky old Jon bumps across a babe who needs a space navigator ... and suddenly the story stops. Oh well, never mind it was fun while it lasted.

His Own Kind - "Back on Earth, in the three centuries discovery of nuclear power, man had prospered, made his environment incredibly beautiful ... " (sic) The sentiments match the grammar and proof-reading.

This ends with Commodore Waan conveniently curling up his toes after a heart attack. Along with, Captain Langley deciding to give up his spaceship command to to be a pioneer colonist and settle down with Anne. Yeh right! 

Verdict: A sort of hit. I did enjoy it, but it was VERY sloppily made and to be honest second rate.  Oh, and also when it comes to nostalgia, I'd just like to point out it's not what it used to be ... I'll get my hat ...
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 01:18:44 PM »

Well, I know it is bad ,  but I love it anyway. Besides, I scanned it therefore it is awesome, nuff said  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.