in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Nothing to do with comics at all.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Nothing to do with comics at all.  (Read 3538 times)

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
Nothing to do with comics at all.
« on: June 23, 2016, 10:46:33 AM »

My piece of shameless self-promotion has nothing to do with comics at all.  I write band biographies and album reviews for the British Blues Archive: http://www.britishbluesarchive.org.uk/ which, as the name suggests, celebrates the UK's contributions to the world-wide Blues scene. 

Though I'm in semi-retirement these days, I've gigged extensively with several Blues bands, and spent ten years hosting a successful London Blues Jam.  Now I concentrate on archiving the achievements of others in the "Biographies" "Reviews" "Interviews"and "Classic Albums" sections of the website.  It's a labour of love and a work constantly in progress, and NOT for those who think Blues is boring!  ;) I hope some of you might find it interesting.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Nothing to do with comics at all.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 05:24:42 PM »

I've been having a good read at your Blues site.  Fair takes me back ;D
I read your review of the Stones 1st album and very interesting it is too.  I bought this (or I cadged money from my American auntie who was visiting) and I remember at the time being utterly amazed at the noise and the sound, an amazement that was only bettered by my first hearing on Radio Luxembourg of You Really Got Me. I hadn't heard sounds like that before then.
But I was curious about your review of Walkin the Dog, and I felt you should have mentioned the Dennisons version, which I have always preferred. If my lack of taste is showing, please don't be too hard on me.
So much more to read and enjoy.  Thanks.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 08:58:18 PM »

My blues experience is very limited. My aunts had some old 78's and they had mostly country but they had a couple records by Muddy Waters. The only thing I remember about them is liking them as a kid.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 09:00:51 AM »

Muddy Waters played the Maryland Blues Club in Glasgow on his last tour here, and I was there.  One of those unforgettable occasions.
It was only after some time that I realised that the Blues Archive doesn't seem to mention Cyril Davies.  But then, I could have missed it as there is a lot of material to take in.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 03:45:26 PM »

When the Rolling Stones were on their "Let it Bleed" tour I attended their concert in San Francisco. BB King was one of the introductory acts. In the middle of his last number his guitar amp blew. So he shoved the guitar up to his microphone and played the rest of the song on dead strings. An amazing performance that brought down the house.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 04:00:29 PM »

That's another night I'd have loved to have been at. 
Rolling Stones, Glasgow, with Mick Taylor  What a night.  I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating because it brings back great memories.   The Groundhogs were the support act and they were as loud as I remember hearing any band.  The back wall looked as if it had been built by Messrs Marshall & Co.   Cherry Red was quite extraordinary.
Actually, I've seen Taylor twice as he was playing with John Mayall when they did the Maryland.  That was the band with Henry Lowther.  The place was so packed you couldn't have fallen - you just couldn't move.
I think I've got that right.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 10:57:49 AM »

Hi guys, thanks for looking!

Paw, as if I'd forget Cyril Davies-  here he is under Biographies: http://www.britishbluesarchive.org.uk/Biographies/Cyril_Davies.php

It'd be fair to point out that I've forgotten Alexis Korner - actually I haven't, but the Archive is definitely "a work in progress," and I'll be getting round to him sooner or later.

The Dennisons version of Walking the Dog (great vocals on it BTW) is only one of a thousand covers of that number that I haven't mentioned - though it could open up a whole new area for me if I just reviewed all the versions that'd been cut since Rufus Thomas recorded it!  It's just that it falls into the "Merseybeat" genre, and I haven't delved too deeply into that yet.

In all fairness, hundreds of pre-Blues Boom "Beat Groups" covered early US R&B numbers, and very well too, but they weren't inclined to be playing Muddy Waters, Jimmy Reed or Howlin' Wolf, so I'm leaving the whole Merseybeat thing to one side for the moment and concentrating on stuff that happened after Chris Barber started bringing the US Bluesmen to the UK.

I was privileged to interview Chris Barber for the Archive and he's a wonderful old gent full of fascinating stories.  But once he'd taped the interview he got cold feet over the thought that he might have said something un-PC somewhere and has requested a verbatim transcript of the interview for lawyers to go over.  How typically (and sadly) 21st Century.

Thanks to you & crash for your reminiscences, if you'd like to collect your memories of early Blues Gigs - especially some from North of the Border - we'd be pleased to consider including them alongside Paul Soper's memories of a burgeoning Blues Scene in the "Eyewitness" section: http://www.britishbluesarchive.org.uk/Eyewitness/Paul_Soper_01.php

Anyway guys, thanks again for delving into the Archive, and for sending me your thoughts.  Much appreciated.
ip icon Logged

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 11:45:41 PM »

The GROUNDHOGS and MICK TAYLOR ??? I am kneeling in worship position. I managed to see the SOME GIRLS tour in 1978 in Los Angeles and the STEEL WHEELS tour in DC (Wyman's last) and John Lee Hooker twice, once with John Mayall in the 90s. Jim Croce, Zappa, ZZ Top Tres Hombres tour ( backed up by Golden Earring Moontan Tour ), Skynyrd 3 times before 74.
Managed to bootleg Johnny Winter and SAVOY BROWN in the 90s and chatted with Kim Simmons. I enjoyed the first half of Keith Richard's book LIFE. The unedited version of the film by Robert Frank C---sucker Blues has that great footage of Taylor on STREET FIGHTIN' MAN that makes my toes curl every time I see it.,, and Stevie Wonder jamming with Jagger on SATISFACTION medley. Has anybody seen Taylor recently ? I understand he's been out there.   
ip icon Logged

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 12:04:33 AM »

Here's a comic book blues connection. A guitar collector player/repairman custom pedal designer here told me recently about Eric Clapton's BEANO  album where Eric Clapton is reading a Beano comic book on the cover. I've never heard about it before now.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 05:51:16 AM »

Well done Jetstone!

that Album was John Mayalls - Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton.
And here is some of it to listen to on line.

https://guitar.com/review/album/the-genius-of-blues-breakers-with-eric-clapton-by-john-mayall-the-bluesbreakers/

That album introduced Clapton to the wider world. Not long after that, he formed CREAM - which blew myself, and quite a few of my mates - away.
I don't know if Clapton was really a fan of the Beano.
Also in that version of Mayall's band:-
Johnny Almond - later of Mark-Almond
John McVie - later of Fleetwood Mac and husband of Christine Perfect.
and Hughie Flint. 
So an all-star effort. 

Here is a challenge fot those of you in the UK - what issue of 'the Beano' was that? Can you identify it from the cover? And no, I don't know myself. 

Cheers!       
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 06:00:26 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 05:13:29 PM »

Jetstone, I don't know if you're aware of Mick Green.  If not you might want to take a listen to The Pirates and hopefully get a charge out of the amazing noise he makes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnhzD-j5ILk

While I'm at it, here's Dr. Feelgood with Wilko .  As one reviewer wrote,"When Leo Fender invented the telecaster, this is how he had dreamt it sounded."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHm7uIC84YM
Needless to say, the sound is not the best. This stuff should be as loud as possible.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:26:19 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 08:30:46 PM »

Wow... as an early 70s concert goer I was always envious of you Woodstock generation dudes who got to see Janis, Jimi, Cream and Airplane. I will definitely give a listen and thanks for the generous links. Anybody see the Sabbath tour in 1999 ? Went to see it on a whim ( got a good bootleg ) and it was 1000 times better than expected. I have noticed very loud sound systems have gotten really clean.. starting with Steel Wheels.. Wyman cutting in with the bass at the start of BITCH was a tremendous experience.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 06:03:06 AM »

I was always envious of you Woodstock generation dudes who got to see Janis, Jimi, Cream and Airplane

well, as an Aussie, I didn't get to see any of those, since they never toured here.
But I did get to see quite a few who did. The Stones, Clapton, Bo Diddley,[twice] Little Richard, Chuck Berry [who was going through one of the cynical times in his life so I was disappointed]. Some of the overseas acts were  quite disappointing, like Deep Purple - story there - one reason was lousy and inappropriate venues.
The live Band that made the biggest impression on me will surprise you. It was the Dutch band, FOCUS -
Best known musician in that band was Jan Akkerman.
Here is the piece that made them famous.
Focus - Hocus Pocus Live '73
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q

Yes, that's right - Rock Yodelling! Sounded ever better live and loud.

here's the man in 2015 in concert.

Jan Akkerman - Bucovina Rock Castle 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amWWh0ruaD8

Cheers!

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.