in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,068 books
 New: 210 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 128 - Gold Medal #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 128 - Gold Medal #1  (Read 2482 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 128 - Gold Medal #1
« on: July 04, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »

I am still running a tad behind I am afraid ... but we're catching up slowly!

Unfortunately, both the books on last week' jungle comparison got the thumbs down from me. So I am hoping for better luck this week. I chose the book after receiving  a short and sweet recommendation from one of our esteemed number

"Gold Medal I like the obscure so I suggest the one and only appearance of Luckyman"

This week's book which is a one-shot from the Cambridge House can be found here
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=61606

The Luckyman story we are concentrating on begins on our page 122 As this is a very big book, I don't think any of us will attempt a cover to cover read ... but hopefully some of us will choose a few other stories at random to comment on (I will anyway!)

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Week 128 - Gold Medal #1
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 03:38:49 AM »

I really enjoyed the Luckyman story. The art was good if not exciting. The story was pretty good most of the instances of luck were done well and the story made good sense. Much better than most of the recent golden age stories we have read.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:20:01 AM »

I am afraid Luckyman was really bad, just a repetitive one trick pony. Which actually is a bit sad as I thought the art work was rather good and there was a nice twist to the story. But, I can do without "oh I am lucky again" "how lucky am I" "What a stroke of luck" etc etc ... YAWN!!!

After that, the book ends with a one pager Joe Blow .. with a "oh no" (crap) joke and it was miles better than Luckyman. So this spurs me on to have a look at the earlier stories.

Screwy - Another crap joke!

Oh, I thank my lucky stars i decided to stick with this and have a read of Captain Truth. OMG! What a superhero outfit! Gay pride parade circa 1945! Amazing! The story was about war time pilfering. Excellent!

I share with you the sartorial awesomeness of the man who is Captain Truth!!

Verdict: A hit but NOT because of Luckyman ... but because of Captain Truth's costume!
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 05:39:18 PM »

A true lesson on how presentation counts for a lot. LUCKYMAN was okay...the art was better then the story and the story moved along...but what I'm talking about is that the original story as it is written would have made a GREAT episode of Carl Barks DONALD DUCK with Gladstone Gander behind the wheel...all you would need to be really funny would be Donald fuming at every plot turn and the nephews along to put together clues and it would be a classic...Read the WITCH OF SALEM...good story that would have been at home in a classier magazine...and a nice subtle debunking of witches...art almost seemed to be done by two different artists...sometimes pretty good. But wowzers...some of the stuff was REALLY amateur night in Dixie...
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »

Well since I am the one who uploaded this book, I should have done what I did with Star Studded, that is kept the two "Super Hero" stories and dumped the rest of the book. Probably would have had I not sold the book by then. Granted the stories for Ken Elliot (aka Captain Truth) and Danny Barr (aka Lucky Man) are by far not the best of the super hero crowd, but my intent was to collect for my website the Super Hero stories, but not the worst of the Super Hero crowd either. Art was good in both stories but as noted the stories left a lot to be desired. Can't say more than that on this subject. Just my 2 cents worth.

Richard Boucher AkA Mr_Goldenage.

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:45:44 AM »

The more I read comics produced by Bernard Baily's company, the more I'm struck by what hodgepodges they are. People talk about Golden Age publishers throwing everything on the wall to see what stuck. Bailey gathered up all the stuff that didn't stick and put it in his comics. Sometimes it seems the jumbled stories must be reprints, but I haven't found evidence that they weren't created for this magazine.

I tried--honest, I did!--to read everything but I couldn't do it. The humor strips defeated me. They are so bad! An exception is "Whitey and the Magic Crown." The story isn't any good, but the artwork is amazing. It looks like it came from a 60s underground comic.The art is credited to Al Stahl. I've seen a lot of Stahl's work and it has a certain craziness to it. But I haven't seen anything this trippily drawn and slickly inked.

The Luckyman story is so-so.They might have made the character work if they'd added more humor. Maybe each of his lucky breaks is the result of a succession of coincidences that is so preposterous even Luckyman can't believe it. I'm thinking here of the scene in The City of Lost Children in which a Rube Goldberg string of chance incidents combine to cause a steamship to run aground just in time to save our heroes. Even so the one-joke premise would quickly go stale.

The real "Gold Medal" winner today is Captain Truth, comics' first gay superhero. I appreciate the premise that the crook is a decent guy who went bad because he was desperate to feed his family, and gets a chance to turn his life around. But the choppy script bounces from one bizarre episode to another. What's with the old witch? Does she grant Joey's wish to fly or are we supposed to believe that a sudden gust of wind somehow sweeps the kid away? Why do we need this witch/wish subplot anyway? Strangest moment of all comes when Ken discovers he and his neighbors have been summarily thrown out of their homes despite their having paid their rents. Enter Donald Trump's father, proclaiming that they should be proud to be homeless because their buildings will be torn down to build his magnificent new housing project. And Captain Truth buys it! Captain Sucker, I say.

Other notes: The wife in "Jones and his Mrs." is the ultimate expression of the sadistic ball-buster. I never found these marital strife stories funny and this one tops 'em all in sheer hatefulness. "Trixie" looks exactly like Little Audrey. Is someone being a wise guy by naming the rich girl Little Audrey? "The Witch of Salem" is pretty good. It has the best script in the book (and just about the only coherent one.) Fun to see two very early strips by my old friend Manny Stallman. They aren't very good, though. John Giunta seems to have helped on the inks. The two produced quite a few strips as a team. I enjoy Jolly Roger's crack about heroes with cast-iron heads. But if I want a girlfriend, I'm steering clear of Cheryl. She runs the crooks' car (with boyfriend inside) off the road, causing a huge crash. Then she approaches the wreckage musing, "Now if only Dennis isn't hurt, we'll have a chance!" You should have thought of that first, baby! Thanks for nothing!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »

Individual tastes in comics (and everything, I prefer vanilla to chocolate BTW) are always interesting. Some of our reading I have been the only liker and others the only hater. I am not always good at analysis my tastes. Most of the time I just like it or I don't. I recently read an issue of Superichie. I really liked the first Superichie but disliked the second. I could try to analyse the two stories to see why but would rather just enjoy the one I enjoyed. I do like reading the more in depth analyses of others.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »

Captain Truth - Uhhhh... yeahhh... the simplicity of the story makes me think the writer was aiming for kid readers rather than adults. I didn't hate it, but it could have used a rewrite or three.

Bill Hilly - And now we come to the sophisticated humor. *rolls eyes*

Benny the Boxer - Dumb.

Crime Detector - Could have been better.

Silly and Filly - Eh.

The Witch of Salem - Eh.

Whitey and the Magic Crown - Better than some of the others.

Tom Tom - I've read & enjoyed stories with questionable science before, but this one failed the hook, line & sinker test... I just couldn't swallow it. Guy invents a way to shrink people down and encase them in germs, but rather than use it to expand the knowledge and frontiers of science he figures it's a nifty way to send slaves through the post office. *shakes head*

Flight Topics! - Nice.

Detective Dareall - Not bad, although I suspect the writer really enjoyed writing the villain rather than the hero. ;-)

Jones and his Mrs. - Ugh.

Caribbean Interlude - Eh.

The Perfume Murder - Okay.

Dinky Winkie - Eh.

Dennis Denton - Not bad.

Albert - Ehhh... better than some of the other so-called comedy pieces here, but not great.

Hopeless Henry - Meh.

Trixie - Ugh.

The Wise Guy - So-so.

Sinister Sam - Bleh.

Sky Notes! - Nice.

Screwy - Meh.

Luckyman - Not bad, but it's tough for me to care about a hero who's just naturally lucky.

Joe Blow - *sigh*

A very mixed bag. They didn't seem to know who their audience was so they tried a variety of stories aimed at different age groups.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.