in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Deadpool vs. Spawn

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Deadpool vs. Spawn  (Read 2909 times)

Abishai100

message icon
Deadpool vs. Spawn
« on: July 10, 2016, 08:22:41 PM »

Deadpool and Spawn are two very interesting comic book anti-heroes who signify a comics art investment in underworld vigilantism.

Both have been featured in Hollywood films.

It would be great to drum up hype about a side-by-side (films, comics, etc.) comparison of Deadpool and Spawn to create new interest in macabre semi-normal themes.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Deadpool vs. Spawn
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 03:48:19 PM »

I'm not a fan of Deadpool and haven't read Spawn in yonks so I'd rather they didn't have much of a future.  There have been other, and in my opinion, better vigilantes in comics.  In American comics, Spidey and Batman were both considered outside the law and, certainly in Spidey's early days, were pursued by the law. Currently, Dynamite's versions of The Spider and The Shadow are, imo, much better examples of outside the law vigilantes and for the most part, they always have been.
There are other examples but if you want serious anti-heroes, have a look at some of the Italian creations:- Kriminal, Satanik, Sadik, Diabolik, Zakimort etc.  Some, e.g. Sadik were out and out violent, sadistic criminals, others e.g. Zakimort were often or at times almost fighting for justice.  American comics had Grips, who was what Wolverine should have been. But that was small press and bad management and didn't take off.  British comics and story papers had their share of anti-heroes and you should have a look at The Black Sapper, one of a number of villains later turned heroes.
I'm sure the 2 characters you mention have legions of fans, so my lack of appreciation for them is a drop in the ocean ;)  The serials of The Shadow, Spider, Batman and the films of Diabolik, Kriminal, Satanik are well worth a watch ;D
ip icon Logged

Abishai100

message icon
Hobgoblin Aesthetic
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 01:55:42 AM »

I like new age Hobgoblin (Marvel Comics) art, and its nice-and-handsome usage of the bright color orange.  Pedestrian doodling is now suddenly...'phantom polka.'

Anyone a fan of Popeye classics?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.