in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 43,068 books
 New: 210 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Historian Looking For a St. John Writer!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Historian Looking For a St. John Writer!  (Read 1032 times)

stingo

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: stingo
message icon
Historian Looking For a St. John Writer!
« on: August 14, 2016, 09:34:43 PM »

Hi Everyone!

Glad to be a new member on this wonderful forum/site!

I'm hoping one of my fellow historians may be able to shed some light on a writer that I am searching for information on...In the September 1949 issue of the St. John published "Teen Age Romances" a write by the name of Mannie Greenfield contributed a story for the mag. I'm trying to establish if this may be the same Mannie Greenfield who later went on to become quite the figure in the music industry (mainly during the late 50s/early 60s). Does anyone have any information on this particular writer?

Thanks in advance and am super excited about this site!

Ryan
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Historian Looking For a St. John Writer!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 02:10:46 AM »

That's an interesting question, stingo. It's just possible there's a connection. Manny Greenfield (usually spelt this way though I've also seen Mannie) was doing publicity for Sammy Kaye's band in 1947 and for singer Kay Starr in 1949. Both were big time acts, and I question whether Greenfield would bother taking time to write a column for a comic book. On the other hand he was a music promoter, and the column is about records. Maybe Greenfield took a stab at a syndicated record review column? Or maybe he needed some quick dough and knew someone at St. John.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.