in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 155 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

public domain questions and answer

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: public domain questions and answer  (Read 3472 times)

73042helloworld

message icon
public domain questions and answer
« on: August 25, 2016, 08:43:11 PM »

This is a biggie!

It is my understanding that when WESTERN PUBLISHING split with DELL and eventually with GOLD KEY, that they failed to renew copyrights on their own material and let it u[p to owners of individual copyright owners to do any other renewals.  This is why DELL FOUR COLOR is able to be used by others.

The also places the back-up features and text pages which have the WESTERN PUBLISHING copyright notice into the public domain (I think).  This would include things like MABU, BROTHERS OF THE SPEAR,  and TWO AGAINST THE JUNGLE which were WESTERN PUB back-up features in TARZAN.

BROTHERS OF THE SPEAR is pretty well known, but the other two are not.  These two I would like to make as compilations and maybe they would be acceptable here as public domain or orphaned items.

Don
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: public domain questions and answer
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:07:58 AM »

Dell is a nightmare and the worst is Four Color ... a LOT of these ARE renewed ... not by Dell but the owners of the property. The Four Colors have been picked over and even if you see one here say Mowgli (from what I recollect is a real example) it does not mean that another one has not been renewed. Same applies to 3 Stooges etc
ip icon Logged

73042helloworld

message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:45:01 AM »

Accidentally posted the first short part of this but this is what I wanted to say

The three series I was referring to all appeared in the TARZAN.  MABU was a small African native boy who was always getting in into exciting things--his stories were text (2 pages in the early years dropping to 1 later). TWO AGAINST THE JUNGLE was a back-up feature in the first 25 issues about two boys and their adventures trying to get out of the jungle and back home.  The story had an ending and wasn't just dropped.  O the first page of each story was a small blurb stating the copyright was to WESTERN PUBLISHING.  Tarzan was licensed, but the back-ups and text stories belonged to Western it is my understanding when Western never renewed their copyrights.  I get real nervous trying to figure out how to check copyrights, but I sure would like to make two book-size compilations, one for the MABU and one for TWO AGAINST THE JUNGLE.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »

Renewal for 1952 and beyond is easy at http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First prior to that ask Mr. Goldenage
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.