in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Can you identify these characters?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Can you identify these characters?  (Read 2472 times)

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Can you identify these characters?
« on: September 09, 2016, 01:54:17 AM »

From a page of Supersnipe....

From left to right.... unknown cowled/hooded character ...Sun Man...The Shadow...and Doc Savage with his Ruby Hood with Supersnipe hoisted on their shoulders....a Man with a Top Hat (Unknown Character) and then another costumed hero who is unknown. See attachment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Richard Boucher AkA Mr_Goldenage
ip icon Logged

paxman53

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Can you identify these characters?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »

I think the man with the top hat could be Mandrake The Magician.

Not sure on the others.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:14:15 AM »

The bloke on the left could well be TheBlack Cobra.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 02:48:02 PM »

Hmm...interesting....

I was thinking that these characters were published by Street & Smith, since the "named" characters where S&S characters. Was Mandrake ever published by S&S? Just a thought.

Thanks Guys!

Kindly

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:42:34 AM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 04:36:56 PM »

No, Mandrake is and was a King character, but there were many magicians in comics.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »

I got this pic off of one of my Facebook groups, and I thought I would post this comic book add here to short circuit my having to un-archive all my Supersnipe books. Which I am doing now. I agree there were lots of magician types and S&S had a lot of them....in fact Blackstone alone had several. I am thinking that a few characters which in the old days I would have designated as Cover Only Characters or Add Only Characters. Thanks for the response guys. Once my Supersnipe books are all un-archived and read I will get back to you all. Take care my friends.

Kindly

PS: Here is one more unknown character
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:36:37 AM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 11:43:32 AM »

To be honest he looks like Mandrake to me as well ... and the guy next to him has a Capt / Jnr Marvel feel to him. Are these "real" comic book characters or just generic?
ip icon Logged

John Kerry

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »

The guy with the red scarf covering his mouth is The Shadow. Mandrake became a sort of template for magicians in comics so it is probable the magician is one inspired by Mandrake. The character beside The Shadow holding up the boy up could be Doc Savage. He was using a magic hood in the comics. I have one of those stories somewhere and might be able to check that one out.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.