in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,778 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 140 - Millie the Lovable Monster #2

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 140 - Millie the Lovable Monster #2  (Read 2784 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 140 - Millie the Lovable Monster #2
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:21:23 PM »

I am running seriously behind (again). So swiftly on to this week's choice. I saw a post on the forum about Millie the Lovable Monster ... and it fitted the bill admirably. I really could do with some light teen reading!

Millie the Lovable Monster #2 can be found here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=33914, and we will concentrate on the main story "What Millie Wants......Millie Gets "

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 140 - Millie the Lovable Monster #2
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:08:26 AM »

LOL! I read this last night! (Saw the same forum post and decided to update the GCD's info.)

I wouldn't call it Teen reading, it seemed aimed at Children instead. While it does have a certain charm the aimed at children aspect was kind of a drawback to me as I'm not a child and what might have entertained me then doesn't now.

That being said, if you overlook the simplicity and repetition, it's a nicely drawn, feel good book.

I'd have preferred if Millie could talk so we could have gotten more of her personality direct, but eh, minor quibble.

Part of me was thinking, "Poor, Bill Woggon. For years he drew the attractive Katy Keene, now he's drawing a monster in a dress."  ;)

Probably best if you can channel your inner child while reading it.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »

Millie will be back as a guest star in my Melvin Monster story to appear in our Dell revival comic All-New Popular Comics. Melvin was a much better read than Millie. I recently got some copies of both characters and read them. Millie was most definitely for kids not teens. As Scrounge has said it is a nice bit of fluff not something to shout about though.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 09:49:50 PM »

I'm not sure whether I'd have liked his when I was a kid. It's aimed at children much younger than I remember being.

While I applaud Woggon for wanting to create a comic for little kids, I don't think it's a particularly good one. The stories have no plot and many panels simply repeat what was said in the panel before. But if I were just learning to read, maybe that would be a good thing. My major gripe is that all the monsters can talk except the star character. It doesn't add anything and gets in the way of the story.

The art is fine for what it is; no complaints.

As an adult I find it hard to warm up to a plutocrat who is kind to Millie only because she makes him money.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:09:52 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »

I don't know WHY Millie works for me, but it does. Nice kids comic, nothing spectacular. I dig it when they put un coloured picture of the character like they did on the inside cover. Harvey would do that from time to time, and I could look at the line work forever and just be in awe. One question: I was wondering if maybe they changed the story a tad. The set up is the big phone and clothing bill coming to the rich guy, right? Then suddenly, it ain't a issue anymore. Could they have changed it and inserted the poor kid in an effort to make the rich guy look a little LESS mercenary? The kid and the rich guy would be about the same height so all that would get changed would be some lettering and some cosmetic changes to the kid/rich guy.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 11:45:02 PM »

All-in-all, not bad for what it was. I can see myself reading it to pre-school kids, but many older ones probably wouldn't have too much interest in the stories. Still, the art was good enough and the overall effort was perfectly passable for a reasonably non-offensive kiddie comic. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 02:06:46 AM »

When I decided to write my first story for All-New Popular Comics I was going to use Millie as the feature as I was more familiar with her from my youth. When I got some Millie and some Melvin comics for reference I found myself much more attracted to Melvin. As I looked through Dell stuff for more ideas, without knowing it I seemed to be drawn to features that when I looked at the credits were John Stanley. His are is very simple and often very repetitive but it has an appeal. Look for my two page Melvin Monster in All-New Popular Comics # 1 with an appearance by Millie the Lovable Monster.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »

One question: I was wondering if maybe they changed the story a tad. The set up is the big phone and clothing bill coming to the rich guy, right? Then suddenly, it ain't a issue anymore. Could they have changed it and inserted the poor kid in an effort to make the rich guy look a little LESS mercenary? The kid and the rich guy would be about the same height so all that would get changed would be some lettering and some cosmetic changes to the kid/rich guy.

Mr. Gotrocks saw the bills in the second story and it drives his actions in the third story.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 02:07:30 PM »

I am expecting this to be a light and fun read. Let's see if it satisfies the big kid in me!

What Millie Wants
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 08:26:32 AM »

This is very much a kiddie comic.  I find it odd that Millie doesn't speak, so the phone thing is daft.  Why put them in a house where the occupant can't use them? I didn't get much from this.  The art was inoffensive, actually, in a couple of places, quite appealing. But there wasn't a lot to entertain me here.  I didn't smile or chortle but at least the stories moved along decently.  Young kids might well heve enjoyed the book and often good quality strips aimed at young readers do appeal to the older reader, eg, Rupert, but this character and the settings didn't do it for me.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.