in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 148 - Superior Stories 1 - The Invisible Man

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 148 - Superior Stories 1 - The Invisible Man  (Read 3811 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 148 - Superior Stories 1 - The Invisible Man
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:55:09 PM »

Well our last book a romance, My Love Secret (YUCK), did not do too badly with the group as a whole. It also sparked up a discussion about the name "Boots" which in my opinion was way more interesting than the book.

I have had a few reading suggestions come through the grapevine, one of which was for Nesbit Publishing's Superior Stories #1:

"An adaptation of The Invisible Man? Why not?"

Why not indeed! it suddenly reminded me of the Invisible Man film starring Rod Taylor, which used to be put on TV during Christmas or Easter when I was a kid. So I think (in my mind anyway) it is a great choice for this time of year.

The book can be found here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=12005. And it is a cover to cover mission!

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Week 148 - Superior Stories 1 - The Invisible Man
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 07:28:14 PM »

Looking forward to reading this - especially as it has art by PAM, but before I do, I can't resist sharing this link to some episodes of the British TV show.  Peter Brady is The Invisible Man in this version.  I remember watching this when I was just a bit younger. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaHg3pnb4jc&list=PLNFrDj37-Gmw0PulEuSyV3j3dtyvUm8i9
ip icon Logged

EHowie60

message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:20:25 PM »

This is actually the first time I've read The Invisible Man all the way through in any form. Which is surprising considering I've read and enjoyed The War of the Worlds and The Time Machine. I rather enjoyed this one too. Morisi does a pretty good job drawing the Invisible Man the clothing and objects around the Invisible Man :P. The way objects move when lifted by him is well done; I especially like the panel of the Invisible Man holding Kemp by the coat.

Something that struck me about the art is there's a noticeable lack of detail sometimes when Morisi draws faces that are a bit smaller. Take page 16 for instance. Kemp' face in panel three is not much bigger than in panel two, but in panel two his face looks flat, almost mask-like. His work on closeups of faces is pretty dang good, but when they get far enough away they suddenly look like Little Orphan Annie.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »

This is good fifties scifi. Lots of stuff is nonsense but fun. How they can be so afraid of just an invisible man that they put the whole town under martial law is astoundingly crazy. I love how a naked man begins to appear and their main concern is to cover his face. I think this was some of PAM' s best work. He put in more detail than in his later Charlton work. I enjoyed this one more than I expected
ip icon Logged

73042helloworld

message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 09:58:08 PM »

I'm not part of the reading group, but I check the comments on the books books and decided to comment on this one, THE INVISIBLE MAN by H. G. Wells.

I bought all four issues when they first were publish and this was my favorite.  I was still in grade school and had recently see either a re-release or television showing of the Claude Rains INVISIBLE MAN movie so I'm guilty of comparing movies and books.  This comic led me top the library to see which story was better.  The Raines movie was great and, for a ten cent comic book, so was this issue, but...neither one came near the enjoyment of the book.  I had already tried to read one or two other Wells books, but, at that age, didn't get much from them until years later.  At this time, I had just stared reading Heinlein and Asimov and trying to understand them.  I've since read several Wells books and have recently started a book with many of his short stories in it.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 04:05:24 AM »

I'm favorably inclined toward novel adaptation comics. Novels generally offer deeper characterization and more complex plots than typical comics. Of course their complexity is also a drawback, because much of the original must be cut to fit into a comic.

I'd like to know the story behind Nesbit Publishers. One title, four issues. It suggests either a fly-by-night operation or a badly under-funded company. Their choice of "superior" stories is unusual. The Invisible Man is well-enough known. Classics Illustrated did their own version. But J. H. Ingraham, author of issue#2, The Pirate of the Gulf, hardly ranks up there with Sheakespeare, Melville, and Hemingway. I also wonder what prompted Nesbit to turn Superior Stories into an advertisement for the Kiwanis for its last two issues.

Anyway, the adaptation is good. It covers the story and moves quickly (perhaps a bit too quickly). It avoids the common adaptation problem of too much dialogue. Very readable.

I like Pete Morisi's art in general, and he does a respectable job here. However his stiff action poses and flat-perspective backgrounds sometimes leave me wishing he'd give us a bit more flash. I like his treatment of the invisible man. Morisi makes the visible figures seem as if they really are in contact with a solid invisible body. One thing puzzles me. I swear panels 4 and 5 on page 8 aren't pencilled by Morisi. Panel 5 doesn't even looked like Morisi inked it. Both posing and the drawing of the face just aren't PAM's style. If anything they look like Ross Andru (of all people). Ditto the pose in panel 6, though Morisi definitely inked that one.

As a kid I watched and enjoyed the Invisible Man TV series. I laughed out loud when the IM's visible friend tossed him some "invisible clothes" to put on. Supposedly the clothes were added after a viewer complained that a naked man was running around on the TV. Still it points up a problem with the invisible man concept.

In Wells' low-tech era it would indeed have been possible for an invisible person to create havoc, terrorize the locals, and frighten the authorities into declaring martial law. But the need to be naked would severely limit an invisible person's effectiveness. Of course inclement weather would be a huge problem. But even in great weather, the simplest activities would be difficult. For example he'd have to walk everywhere barefoot. Rocks, underbrush, the odd nail...his feet would soon be torn to shreds. An invisible man would do better not to make himself known. He could steal stuff in one place, then move on to another before people figured out an invisible thief was at large. It might not be a "reign of terror," but the IM could fund a lavish lifestyle for his bandaged alter ego. But then Wells indicates that the invisibility serum drives Griffin nuts, so he might not reason clearly.

Overall this comic was a pleasant read. Plus we get one-page adaptations of two much longer books!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:23:32 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 06:27:01 AM »

73042helloworld You don't need no stinkin' badge to join the group ... just hop aboard! Thanks for your input!

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 03:50:36 PM »

Kinda what I was gonna say Mark. By posting in the Reading group he IS in the reading group.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 10:07:18 AM »

While thoroughly enjoying the story and Morisi's art, I was distracted at times by the poor research, or lack of it, as to how an English town, countryside, buildings and police would look.  I'm also not sure there would have been as many pistols, or any, floating about.
However, I'm a fan of Mr. Morisi and love the 6 panel page layout he uses. No fancy, arty-farty footering about with panel shapes, just good, easy to follow storytelling.  There is something about the slightly static poses in some panels that appeals to me.  Some might say it's just my lack of taste, but I like it.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »

Nice adaptation.

The two condesations made Cliff's Notes look wordy.  ;)
ip icon Logged

neil meikle

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 08:48:22 PM »

The first time I didn't see The Invisible man on the telly( somebody had to say that) was in the seventies when the series starring David McCallum was on. While that series and the fifties one are quite fun they have little in common with the book except the name. In those shows The Invisible Man is portrayed as a do gooder instead of the amoral criminal Wells created.
My personal favourite tv series is the six part serial by the BBC from 1984 starring Pip Donaghy. It may be the least well known screen adaptation but it is the one that's closest to the book. If you would like to see it on youtube, type in "invisible man full story", it's been collected into a two and a half hour long movie.
After reading adaptations of books that are two or three times the length this does seem pretty condensed and quick paced. I can't help asking if only Morisi had been given more pages to work with?
I think Mark has been getting his movies mixed up Rod Taylor was in The Time Machine not The Invisible Man.
Regarding Paws query, handguns are featured just as much in the novel as they are here. They were certainly more commonplace and readily available in the Victorian era than now. A professional person or serving police officer would have little difficulty in obtaining a license for one.
Seeing as I'm not the new kid on the block anymore I would like to welcome our "newest member". I hope I can call you Helloworld for short. Don't be afraid to comment again in the future, we won't bite you.
Merry Christmas everybody and a happy new year.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:12:20 AM by neil meikle »
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 05:57:59 AM »

Nice adaptation. Almost as good as a CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED. The script did a fine job of getting things into a small amount of pages. Art was clean with good lines. Have to show my son...THE INVISIBLE MAN is his favorite Universal horror...Claude Raines was of course amazing in it, and this comic book held up nicely against it..by the way, there is a very funny parody of the Claude Raines movie in the comedy anthology AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON with Ed Begley Jr.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »

Stupid Christmas obligations have meant me falling woefully behind on my reading. But I finally made it to read this book.

It is rather interesting that after all these years of "knowing" the Invisible Man story, I have just discovered mine was a sanitized version and not the original tale, which we pretty much have here! So I learnt something from a comic! Hurrah!

I did chortle at a couple of things

1) After receiving an insane note from The Invisible Man threatening world domination Dr Kemp decides "I ... I've got to let the police know about this! I ... I'll send them a note" and then sends a servant with it. A tad lax maybe ...

2) The Copper ("I wish I had my truncheon") who asks Dr Kemp: "Have you a revolver" and undeterred by the "I don't have one to spare" reply, takes it anyway. Telling Dr Kemp that was safe there and that he'd bring it back later!

Verdict: A hit, mainly because I found the art rather interesting. Pete Morisi drew flat faces.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.