in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 149 - A Christmas Mystery For the Silent Three

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 149 - A Christmas Mystery For the Silent Three  (Read 2535 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 149 - A Christmas Mystery For the Silent Three
« on: December 21, 2016, 07:51:33 PM »

Well Christmas Day is nearly upon us, and hopefully this week's choice will help to really get us into the spirit.

This was in fact suggested last year, but didn't make the final selection. But this year it has stormed back and grabbed top spot!

So get prepared for a vintage English Christmas, with The Silent Three. It is only 8 pages, but there appear to be lots of words. Kids had to work harder back then!

The book can be found here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=30242.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Week 149 - A Christmas Mystery For the Silent Three
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 12:31:49 PM »

Blimey I rather liked the Silent Three. The art is extremely appealing. I don't know why it works so well with me but it does. Anyone know who the artist is. I may go back and read the other issues. Their Mermaid Mystery and Christmas Mystery have over 3000 views so others must really like these stories also. I have a question for those who have read the other stories. Is their any secret to their secret society? Giving Cherry a robe would be like Peter Parker handing over his Spidey costume. OOps secret out. BUT later Betty says put on your robes so you won't be recognized. Girls in robes would be a lot more suspicious looking to start with and who in a different town would be likely to recognize the girls anyway. Then at the end Cherry toasts the Silent Three with the uncle so there is no secret there.

Now besides the art I predicted the story almost all throughout. Slightly off as I thought the key was under the globe rather than the map but same concept. I would have written the story off if they had not got me on one point. I did not expect Cherry to actually be hiding in the trunk. So since it was completely predicted I'll give the story an OK and the art an excellent.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 05:24:32 PM »

Blimey, me too.  But then I have read these stories quite a few times.  The artist is Evelyn Flinders, if I've got that right. (see here:- https://www.lambiek.net/artists/f/flinders_evelyn.htm )
  At their boarding school their i/d's are secret, as they'd be thrown out if they were known.  That said, a lot of people seem to know who they are.  It's an interesting sub-genre of the masked mystery man adventures.  Here we have schoolgirls who don robes, hoods, masks to right wrongs and deal with small crimes.  Nothing too serious, like murder.  The stories are a bit like cosies and I like them. Apart from the mystery, we are given the characters around a roaring fire in a room with Christmas decorations and laer, a Christmas tea.  All very English.  I should say British, but I think on balance that these stories have a very English feel to them.
I have always thought that Cherry running around in robes and a hood would be much more conspicuous, but I just go with it.
There are other Silent Three stories and we have one of them in the Schoolgirls' Picture Library section.  But the Silent Three aren't alone.  No, no, there are some other teams around and we have a few of them on CB+.
SPL #1 features the Secret Avengers.  The Phantom Circle, who appeared a couple of times in Girls' Crystal - in competition with School Friend _ are on site in a 10 page adventure.  And not to be outdone, The Grey Ghosts are a schoolboy version of the Silent Three.  There are more but we don't have them here :(
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »

A while back I binged on English Schoolgirl books so The Silent Three are old friends. I like them though I confess this isn't much of a story. To fit the eight pages the writer tips us off immediately who's the bad guy and who's the good girl. After that it's just waiting for the inevitable. The girls' main shtick, their secret identities, isn't really necessary to the story, and giving Cherry a robe doesn't make sense to me.

Still, I like Silent Three stories because the stakes are so low. The adventures are pleasant, the setting is pleasant, the characters are pleasant (except the supercilious bad guys), and the art is pleasant. In a world increasingly obsessed with violence, in a country where we're awaiting the ascendance of a fascist president, it's a relief to escape to a land in which the ultimate problem is finding a missing will.

It's interesting how most of these schoolgirl comics are sealed off from time. The schools are far off in an idyllic countryside. One hardly ever sees an automobile or an airplane (forgive me, aeroplane). There are no telephones, radios or, God forbid, televisions. Many stories might as easily have taken place in 1925 as in 1955. I wonder if the editors decided to keep the stories "girlish" by not getting involved in the complexities of the outside world. Perhaps it was a more pragmatic decision: with timeless stories and artwork, the strips could be reprinted endlessly without seeming dated.

Speaking of the artwork, the drawings by Evelyn Flinders or whomever are quite nice. The artist gives equal attention to characters and backgrounds, resulting in a strong sense of place. It must have been a pain drawing all those vertical stripes on the girls' school uniforms.

The business of compressing the story by inserting blocks of text is kind of clunky. I'm not going to be too hard on the idea because I'm currently working on a book that does precisely the same thing. Some of these captions, though, explain the obvious or recap the action. They'd work better in a longer story or a serial, where you have time to forget what went before.

One other thing struck me as odd: the way the writer harps on Cherry's hair color. "[Their] thoughts flew to dark-haired Cherry..." Peggy of the Silent Three has dark hair but no one makes a big deal of that. Is Cherry's dark hair supposed to identify her as a member of a group? Dark-haired servants? Maybe she's a gypsy. But then she wouldn't be described as pale-faced, would she?

Anyway, Happy Christmas, Silent Three. Jolly glad it turned out well. By the way, do any Englishmen (or Englishwomen for that matter) still say, "jolly"?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 09:07:15 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »

It worked for me too. I think the sum was greater then the parts. I have to agree with everybody; giving a girl a robe to help her not to be noticed was not going to work. (I know, if they didn't give her the robe, the couldn't do the switcheroo at the end...) The art was good, the story sort of reminded me of Nancy Drew. I think the idea was that they had to play for lesser (non violent) stakes the same way that the Hardy Boys and Drew did. They couldn't justify an outright murder in a publication aimed at teens or pre teens at the time. And it was a nice presentation of the English Christmas atmosphere...at least what I learned of it second hand. Being in Canada we were only a generation or two removed...but it all seems to ring true. Hey, while we speak about English Christmas material, does anybody else just HAVE to watch Alastair Sim in SCROOGE every year? It's always on my short list. Merry Christmas, reading group!
ip icon Logged

EHowie60

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 07:19:29 PM »

I come to this from a position of more or less complete ignorance, as an American who is only vaguely aware of the British Girl's Adventure genre. It may be the number of Golden Age hero comics I've read, but I have an inherent distrust of any group of people running around in identical robes, even if they're English schoolgirls. The art was very good. I notice that the characters will often get a sort of outline or halo around them, setting them off from the background, like the figures were drawn first and the backgrounds added around them. Still, very nicely drawn; I love Cherry's accusing gesture on page 7. The story itself was very straightforward, and I had the culprit pegged as soon as I looked up "supercilious ".

A question for the more knowledgable members: was this published as part of a larger work originally? Part of a Story Paper?
ip icon Logged

John Kerry

message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 12:12:06 AM »

Off-hand I would suggest this was from a School Friend Annual. Those books came out at Christmastime which would account for the theme. The length of the story and the fact it isn't broken up into serialized pieces also indicates an annual as the source. A very nice story.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »

Yes, you're right. John. This story appeared in a School Friend Annual, and needless to say I can't remember which year.  Not 1960 as that Annual featured a colour strip.
The weekly School Friend paper regularly featured The Silent Three and occasionally they were the cover story. These serial stories unfolded at 2 pages per week.  The Annual stories were new ones, not collections from the weekly.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 12:30:09 AM »

Interesting. While entertaining it was hard not to think of various mystery novel tropes that this story violated. The Silent Three are a far cry from Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple and Cherry would be doing time in prison in a more realistically written mystery.  ;)
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 03:03:53 PM »

I have been catching up on my reading so here goes ...

I always thought a Yule Tide Log was a smallish chocolate covered pudding, shaped like a log that was sliced into sections. So I must confess, this hollow behemoth the girls are dragging around on a sledge is a new one on me. (NOTE: I have now read it up on the net, and understand!)

This story is an epic Health & Safety fail. A stranger gives you their word of honour they are not up to mischief. So, you ask no more questions, and aid them in their unspecified mission.

Blimey! I wish I had lived close to Redcroft Hall when I was a kid, I'd have bankrupted Admiral Robert with my annual Christmas present lists.

Verdict: A hit! Although the story line was very predictable, I must admit it was interesting to read a British Schoolgirl storypaper. It was very cheery and a great Christmas choice!

PS: @Crachryan ... yes I think we may well still use the word jolly over here, mainly in jest I guess. But I think it might also "slip out" every now and then .. if you know what I mean old chap!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.