in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,780 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 156 - Teen-Age Diary Secrets #4

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 156 - Teen-Age Diary Secrets #4  (Read 3447 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 156 - Teen-Age Diary Secrets #4
« on: February 22, 2017, 05:45:28 PM »

I have been locked in mortal combat with my desktop machine and a failing hard drive with 1.5 tb of files on it. I won! The disk is now officially dead, but I got all the data off it and have set up a better backup regime. So if it happens again I won't be out of action for so long.

I am now back to about a week ago and the "romance flood". An awesome big bang finale for the JVJ scanning project (although I am sure there are more books to filter through).

Because of this I thought it appropriate that Kracalactaka who contributed so much to the flood, should pick a book and this is what he said:

"Teen-Age Diary Secrets 4 (A Matt Baker fest) https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=67396  This is the 1st issue of this series to get scanned. Normally I don't favor Photo covers (I feel they are a $$ saving cop out) but this one works, the wholesome looking teen girl with the puppies is in stark contrast to the headline: "Sailors Were My Weakness" in a way that just makes me chuckle every time I look at it. I would best describe this mag as: 'like Polly Pigtails, but sleazier'"

A week later, this still sounds good. Just to repeat it is Teen-Age Diary Secrets 4 which can be found here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=67396 and the story we are concentrating on is all about sailors!

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 156 - Teen-Age Diary Secrets #4
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »

Man that's a lot of ads at the beginning.

They Called Me A Boy Hater - These days they'd assume she was a lesbian and get a bunch of girls asking her out.

Act Your Age - Yeahhhhhhhh... funny moral of the story, don't do your job and save the day.

A Stranger Stole My Heart - A bit rambling, I was expecting Clark to show up near the end of the story. Oddly the whole first half of the story could have been cut and Sally meeting and falling in love with Frank really wouldn't be changed.

I Was Tired Of Being Good - Not bad. Surprisingly tame in some respects, even her becoming friends with her 'rival' wasn't so bad because the 'rival' wasn't interested in the boy. And then there were the wonderful lines that have a completely different meaning these days than then. "Rhoda isn't too hot on boys. But she'll make out. She's plenty popular with the girls."  ;D

Breaking Hearts Was My Hobby! - Eh, okay, although part of me was hoping they'd skip the usual redemption ending and have her end up alone or something.

Sailors Were My Weakness - Ehhhh, okay, but one of the weaker stories.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 05:05:40 PM »

Sailors could sure make her believe anything. She was obviously not ready for a long term relationship but maybe Ray would settle her down. OK story as far as romance stories go. The art was not impressive and it seems the men were made better looking than the women respectively.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 01:24:41 AM »

Great art and very nifty adds. I mean, this had to be sold to ladies because the evening wear is the unsexiest stuff I've seen this side of the Amish.
The dialogue is perfect. It must have  been a slower time. Because they sure had a lot of time to talk. And talk.
ip icon Logged

John Kerry

message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 11:18:11 PM »

Okay this one didn't do much for me. Not a big fan of romance books and this one didn't have anything out of the ordinary to offer me. The art was decent and the writing competeant, just not my cup of tea. I don't object to photo covers per se. In this the comic is probably trying to compete with the true-confession magazines so using that type of cover makes sense.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:35:57 AM »

Oh, here's the link to the GCD entry https://www.comics.org/issue/319865/
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »

@SuperScrounge

the GCD code for this issue is already added, but since GCD has made recent edits to the index we won't be able see it displayed here until it has been there awhile.

I like this book because it shows Matt Baker towards the beginning of his St John run. (The best was yet to come)

This issue was also printed on higher grade magazine paper rather than the cheaper comic paper stock.

This is an interesting/odd little series. numbered 4-9. Issue #s 7 & 9 were digest sized.
By the time we get to issue #8 (the only other one we have scanned at the moment)  https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=67455 , St John had dispensed with the pretense of being a magazine, ditched the ads and articles and just went with it being a typical trashy romance comic (cheap crappy comic paper included).
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 11:08:57 PM »

I've been out of the loop for a while visiting my elderly mom out-of-state. I'm back just in time to investigate some Diary Secrets.

The cover treatment and the opening pages suggest St John wanted this to resemble a confession magazine. It's more of a girl-advice mag wrapped around a St John romance comic. The comic is the more interesting part, thanks to early Matt Baker art. But the lead text story raises intriguing questions.

Given today's sex-saturated culture it's hard to judge the writing of earlier times. Sexual matters weren't discussed openly, and I wonder if I'm reading something into "They Called Me Boy-Hater" that isn't there.

When I was a kid "boy hater," like "tomboy," was a criticism of a girl's behavior--her style, if you will. The implication was (as the story mentions) that such girls would end up "old maids," a fate worse than the Fate Worse Than Death. But then I was not the best-informed boy. I knew "queer" was a fighting word used to bait males, but I lacked further context. I never knew gay men and lesbians existed until I left home for college. So I can't judge fairly how much coded sexual discussion took place between the lines in 1950s girl's comics.

Today "They Called Me Boy-Hater" reads like a heavily-disguised warning that a girl shouldn't make her friends think she's That Way. From another angle it's a simple argument that being your true self is the best policy. When the narrator drops her boy-hating act she wins the guy of her dreams. Still there's that provocative blurb: "I was something different...something not of this world...I was just a fantastic creature." Of course the editor, not the story's anonymous author, wrote the blurb. Maybe it was she who introduced the subtext.

The stories are typical romance fare. Matt Baker is developing his GGA chops. The inking is weak, though. i'm not sure if these are Baker's own inks. I think the girl in "I Was Tired of Being Good" gets off too easily. In "Sailors Were My Weakness" it's hard to follow which sailor is which. The heroine of "Breaking Hearts Was My Hobby" does get her comeuppance, and is rewarded by being the prettiest of all the pretty girls in the book.

I was struck by the back-cover ad: an announcement that Capitol Records is launching a lyric-writing contest to discover new talent! Extensive Googling revealed that nobody--including people at the modern-day Capitol--seems to know much about the contest. I finally learned that Capitol pulled the trick twice: in 1949 (this one), with a set of three 78-RPM records, and in 1961, with an LP. The same music was used for both incarnations. Somebody finally produced a list of winners for one contest. A copyright search determined that Capitol registered the winning songs but they were never published. One contributor actually dug up one of the winning lyrics. No one knew whether the cash prizes were awarded though someone remembered having heard a commercial recording of one of the songs. The consensus is that Capitol wasn't really looking for talent. Entries had to be submitted on forms included with the albums. In those pre-Xerox, pre-recording days, it meant each individual wishing to enter the contest had to buy an album. Clever!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:50:47 PM »

Love the research and info Ron
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »

I really DO NOT LIKE romance comics ... but I guess duty calls.

We start off with a few pages of advertisements ... one for rather comical looking jim jams and another for Tangee lipstick. With a variety of "Kiss Colors" including:

TANGEE GAY-RED - Terrific for blondes ... gives you that gay, reckless, "I-dare-you" look

But (thankfully) what hair of mine remains places me in the brunette section so I will be wearing

TANGEE RED-RED  - Best bet for brunettes. This rich, intriguing red is a sure magnet for kisses.

So I guess it is story time :( And first impression is Clark has terrible fashion sense. Yellow striped tank top with a bow tie, does not look good. Plus what an awful posture he has.

And here is ripped Johnny in a t-shirt about to take Sally out on his boat ... I wonder what will happen ... blimey, the answer is nothing ... same with Paul. But here is Jerry wearing a ridiculous sailor outfit ... it is love ... THE END

Verdict: I have just realized that idiot me read the wrong story. Unfortunately, I gave that my all and can't face reading another one, but I did like the advertisements.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.