in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,778 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 161 - Super Spook #4

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 161 - Super Spook #4  (Read 2058 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 161 - Super Spook #4
« on: April 06, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »

Last week's Jackie Robinson's baseball comic split the group. Personally my thumb was firmly in the down position.

This week is a one-shot which I have just bumped across. I used to love comic ghosts when I was a kid so this looks great and thumb has been moved to the up position in preparation.

Super Spook #4 can be found here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=60117. The story we will concentrate on is the second  one "Slow Down Mr. Lightning". But this looks like an really easy cover to cover read!

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 161 - Super Spook #4
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 02:28:17 AM »

Super Spook and the Mixed Up Mummy! - Cute.

Slow Down Mr. Lightning! - Okay, but I think the attempt to be educational hurts it a bit. Just a little too much "this is what electricity can do" and not enough story.

Bow Wow Hero - Not bad.

The Very Last Act! - Okay.

Go West! - Okay.

Overall a nice read.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »

I am a great fan of comic horror, including funny ghosts. So unless Ajax have made a major blunder (eg: being sentimental)  I am going to enjoy this.

Super Spook and the Mixed Up Mummy: Hmm it was just about OK, but I don't think a wise cracking ghost really works. There is another Super Spook story at the end so we'll see if he can redeem himself.

Slow Down Mr. Lightning: Rather sneaky, a little lesson about electricity. A bit too educational for me and certainly not why I spent 10 cents on this book

The Very Last Act!: A rubbish act!

Go West: I now know why this is a one shot. Super Spook and his gags just doesn't work.

It was strange how the ads were spaced out through the book. Initially I thought this might have been a page numbering problem when the scan was being compiled, but it is mentioned in the GCD, So, I guess that is the way they made it.

Verdict: A hit, BUT only because it was innocuous. Super Spook is now officially my least favourite funny ghost :(
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:49:21 AM »

I confess I've never met an Ajax comic I didn't dislike. Super Spook is no exception.

The artwork is passable but the stories are for the birds. Especially the SS stories. They're disjointed, illogical, and unfunny.

"The Mixed-Up Mummy": It's hard to believe Super Spook has never been in a museum. In fact he's aggravatingly ignorant. For example he doesn't know what mummies are. Boring.

"Slow Down Mister Lightning" might have wandered in from an educational comic, if not for the dangerous things the characters do. I remember my mommy warning me never to pick an iron up except by the handle. Actually she warned me never to pick an iron up at all.

"The Very Last Act" has the best art in the book, which isn't to say it's great. Though the script is just a catalogue of mishaps, it's more coherent than the other three stories.

"Go West": Super Spook does the "super" thing well enough, but he's weak on the "spook" part. Here neither the cowboys nor the Indians seem to know he's a ghost. Considering he's afraid the place is haunted, SS himself doesn't seem to know he's a ghost. Yet he knows how to summon and to ride a ghost horse. Bah.

I reached back into my youth to find the right description for this comic: it's a stinkeroo.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 03:02:39 AM »

I am the guy that spent money buying this book to scan and share. I apologize. The last panel of the first Super Spook story describes the book. It can put you to sleep. This was written for really little kids who were better served with Little Golden Books.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »

man, this took gall. You put a cape on Casper, and stretch the body out jusssst a bit, and you have this guy. So audacious I wound up smirking at it. Maybe Harvey even caught on and gave a cease and desist. That would be cool.
The stories about our Phantom of larceny weren't great but for some reason the art didn't get under my skin. The electrical story I just assumed was made for some power company that would give it away at county fairs and the like to promote electricity and getting folks on the grid.
The ads were the coolest. Hypnotize my club members? Gnarly cool. The good ol' Charles Atlas ads? And, hey, crashryan, WHAT do you think the deal with that jet engine is?? (Or was??) Baking soda?
Narfstar, just the ads made it worthwhile.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 09:54:29 PM »

Actually, Morgus, I remember Jetex engines. My brother and I hankered after one but Mom said no way. I did know a guy with a Jetex-powered model. The Jetex wasn't a jet. It was a little solid-fuel rocket engine. It was can-shaped. You removed one end, shoved in a fuel pellet, then closed the can and set the fuel off by lighting a fuse. They didn't develop a lot of thrust. They were much weaker than the Estes rockets, but they could push a lightweight model plane. Sure enough, Wikipedia has an entry for Jetex. It says that after a while the fuel absorbed moisture and wouldn't ignite.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »

Hey, Crashryan, , was that stuff any relation to the while bricks I would light up to get my boiler going for the steam powered wheel Uncle Bob gave me? Mom said we could keep it because it was 'educational'. I guess we were supposed to put belts around that wheel or something, maybe make cement, but we just sat there and waited for it to spin for a couple of minutes. So what would the pellets do if you lit them outside of the rocket? Spin around?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.