in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

isn't Green Hornet not PD?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: isn't Green Hornet not PD?  (Read 5080 times)

Alessandro Bottero

message icon
isn't Green Hornet not PD?
« on: May 07, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »

I liked the Harvey books about Green Hornet, but i'm a little puzzled. some years ago, when Dynamite  published a new version of Green Hornet i read  the character was not in PD. And DCM  removed the GH stories in the GH comics. Are things changed?

Thanks
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: isn't Green Hornet not PD?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »

The character is not PD. The stories in the comics were not derivative and not renewed. That makes the individual stories PD.
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:11:38 PM »

and DCM could host many more books than they do, but they tend towards being 1000% more cautious than they need to be.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 01:18:21 AM »

I think the fear was that the comic book stories may have been adapted from radio scripts which might have been still under copyright but that does not appear to be the case as so far I haven't heard of any such adaptations being confirmed.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:52:46 PM »

The Green Hornet radio programs are PD anyway. Few radio programs were ever renewed
ip icon Logged

Crimson-Blue-Green

message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »

I posted a comment that seems to have been deleted.  Anyway, I was wondering why certain GH stories, such as the ones in "All-New Comics" #13 and 14, are not on CB+ if the individual comic stories are public domain? 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 02:09:38 AM »

Likely because our scans came from DCM
ip icon Logged

Crimson-Blue-Green

message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »

I think the fear was that the comic book stories may have been adapted from radio scripts which might have been still under copyright but that does not appear to be the case as so far I haven't heard of any such adaptations being confirmed.

You need to pick up a copy of "The Green Hornet A History of Radio, Motion Pictures, Comics and Television" by Martin Grams and Terry Salomonson.  They claim to know all there is to know about this character.  There's info on which comics have radio adaptations.  Any Green Hornet fan will want to read this book.  I haven't finished the entire 802 page book yet, but I'm working on it.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 03:36:11 AM »

You need to pick up a copy of "The Green Hornet A History of Radio, Motion Pictures, Comics and Television" by Martin Grams and Terry Salomonson.  They claim to know all there is to know about this character.  There's info on which comics have radio adaptations.  Any Green Hornet fan will want to read this book.  I haven't finished the entire 802 page book yet, but I'm working on it.

If the info is there, and it's clear which issues WERE NOT based on radio scripts, then those GH stories should be tracked down and posted since they clearly are PD.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.