in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

What do you look for in reading a comic?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: What do you look for in reading a comic?  (Read 2215 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
What do you look for in reading a comic?
« on: May 14, 2017, 06:34:52 AM »

I'm curious as to what it is about comics that turns us on as individuals. Art, Story, characters, nostalgia, quality, irony, style, genre,  exactly what? Tell us what turns you on.   

I started reading comics for the stories and as a way to escape the times of tedium of my chidhood like riding in the back of dads car for long distance journeys.
Gradually I learned to recognize art styles, first with Carl Barks, (didn't know his name when I was 8 or 9 but I did recognize his work. And yes, I was reading that young. Undoubtedly reading comics helped. Started with newspaper strips so, obviously the quality of the stories had to keep me coming back. Mandrake by Phil Davis, The Phantom, Air Hawke (John Dixon), Dick Tracey, Flash Gordon (At that time by Mac Raboy as I discovered decades later.)    Started reading comics in the 50's, stopped for a while being at a Boarding School, then found the Gold Key books (talking about the early 60's) Then Marvel and DC and got back into it. So I liked certain characters and the work of certain creators. Got to appreciate every aspect of comics, primarily the US variety although in Australia we got both US and UK comics. I would like to think I keep reading comics looking for excellence. Sometimes still finding it but not often. I think that if you stop looking for new things to know and learn you are dead. One of the great feelings in life is knowing that that ten year old who was reading Carl Barks, Challengers of the Unknown,and so on, was right and the adults who told him to stop wasting his time reading that rubbish, was were not.               
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: What do you look for in reading a comic?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 01:12:51 PM »

All the above maybe. I do especially agree with your last statement. The art was actually the least of my concerns. Adventure Comics with the LSH is the comic I associate with hooking me for life. All those facinating characters together was a big draw. Heroism was probably the biggest draw with bigger than life heroes. Most comics that I read now are for FUN. I do enjoy some stuff now if it gives a unique perspective.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »

I value story above all else, except in that the panel to panel flow matters in how the story progresses.  Such panel arrangement is both art and storytelling, but why split hairs? 

Most super-hero comics, especially from the golden age, seem to me to be about the character using his/her powers to save the day, or himself.  Often, I find the stories lacking in depth.  There are very notable exceptions to this, but rather than read countless formula super-hero stories to try to uncover the gems, I just avoid the genre. 

My favorite types of comics would be non-super-hero from 1948--the comics code (plus a few months).  This stuff was truly innovative, right down to the teen-age humor books.  Even today, I buy no Marvel or DC, and I'm still spending upwards of a couple of hundred dollars a month on comics at a 30% discount!  Really good stuff from Image, Aftershock, Archie, Titan, IDW, and many more. 
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:58:58 AM »

I first picked up a copy of Worlds Finest to pass the time on holiday when I was nine, then that was it. I was hooked on comics and have been ever since.  First DC, then the UK reprints  of old Planet Comics stories, Lost World, Star Pirate, Red Comet, etc, and UK's Marvelman.  Ballantine reprints turned me on to Harvey Kurtzman's Mad superhero lampoons and UK omnibus issues introduced me to The Phantom and Brick Bradford. I still have my #1 Fantastic Four, from the days when Marvel changed everything, and I (regretttably now) sold off all my old DC comics. Through IW I discovered Plastic Man & The Spirit, and in the eighties I  became addicted to 2000AD.  The new Marvelman (Miracleman?) and Alan Davis's Captain Britain turned me on too.

I think what appeals to me most is a story with good artwork, and some amount of humour or warmth.  I love Cole and Eisner, and comics that have 'kid appeal' like Captain Marvel, or the earlier days of 2000AD - where there's still a certain innocence or naivety to the work.  I like a serious mystery as much as anybody - Brian Michael Bendis's recent work on Dark Avengers appealed to me greatly - but most of all, I still like a comic that brings out the kid in me. That's why I love CB+!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:42:41 PM »

With a few differences I agree with a lot of what K1ngcat writes.  I was reading comics in the mid '50's when American comics weren't available here.  At primary school I discovered Ace Hart in Super Thriller and the Frew Phantom comics.  I follow The Phantom to this day.  '50's and '60's were classic times for Beano and Dandy but, like K1ngcat, I was enjoying Marvelman and other British superhero comics.
Now I hardly buy or read any Marvel or DC titles.  I'd rather re-read Plastic Man or The Spirit, or currently Doctor Who strips from either Panini or Titan.  But I'm still intrigued but obscure old hero comics.
ip icon Logged

silversabrewolf

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 02:20:25 PM »

It's for me all in the Artwork..If I am not attracted to the Cover, I pass..Charlton didn't have especially good cover art..To me it was mediocre..but it was around when I was a child so I collect them..I am of the opinion, Gold Key had the best cover art of any comic publisher, old or new..So yeah for me, art is key...I love ACG...collecting forbidden worlds currently, love the artwork.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »

Interesting what you say about Charlton, and, on the whole, you're probably right.  But, and it's a big but, some Charlton covers have been superb and a fair few pretty good.  There are some Aparo Phantom covers that are memorable (or is that just me being a Phan?) and many of the superhero covers are very well done.
Nearly forgot - unforgivable - the Don Newton issue covers are well worth a look. Also there are some very attractive Charlton western covers by PAM ;D
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 09:42:25 AM »

The Charlton creators were as good as any. The production values let them down. Bad color, too much ad junk obscuring the cover art, bad lettering, cheap paper. I collected all the Charlton '60's Superhero titles, but there was always a degree of disappointment with Charlton. Having said  that, I don't think DC has ever done the characters any justice since they bought the rights. And as much as I like Watchmen, I'm glad Giordano refused to let Alan Moore use them, forcing him to create new characters.         
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.