in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

information on E.E. Hibbard

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: information on E.E. Hibbard  (Read 2051 times)

RickDeckard525

message icon
information on E.E. Hibbard
« on: August 16, 2017, 07:26:22 AM »

Why can't I find any decent biographical information about E.E. Hibbard on the internet? He seems like a pretty important artist what with all the JSA and Flash and Wonder Woman and all that... You'd think it would be easy to find information on the guy who drew a large chunk of All Star Comics 3, but for some reason he doesn't even have full entries in most wikis. Apparently he made animal sculptures... His career as sculptor is more well-documented on the internet than his comic career. What the hell?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:37:10 AM by RickDeckard525 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: information on E.E. Hibbard
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:15:48 AM »

Rick, The entries on Hibbard are about par for golden age Creators. They are noted but there is rarely much detail. If they have careers outside comics, regarded as 'Serious' art, there is usually more space devoted to that.
Lambiek mentions Golden age creators but misses some and is usually very brief.
https://www.lambiek.net/artists/h/hibbard_ee.htm
This link is the best I have been able to find.
https://hubpages.com/entertainment/EEHibbard-animal-artist
If you scroll to the bottom there are a number of other links.

Also found this one

https://speedforce.org/tag/ee-hibbard/

If you have some information and the time you could do a Wikipedia entry yourself ;)

It would be nice if we could have direct links on the site to info on creators. but hey, you guys do a great job as it is.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:26:31 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »

AP, your mention of "serious art" is appropriate, especially in the UK, where comics are still considered by many as kids stuff.  Very different in European countries and Japan.  Here in Scotland, I and my fellow fans and researchers find it very hard to dig up info. on creators especially the farther back you go.  The obvious creators like Moore, Morrison, Millar etc have attained a form of recognition, especially given that Mark Millar is never of the tv, but that's because of their success in America.  A few other creators who worked in British comics , e.g. Watkins, Bestall, Baxendale are known to a slightly larger % of the population and that, I think, is due to their work for DCT and Rupert, which is a bit of a national treasure, but for kids. Despite Dundee Uni. having a comics dept., they can shed no light on old publishers like Valentines of Dundee, who, apart from greetings cards, published a few comics.  All very frustrating. My colleague, Colin, dug up a lot of info. on Micron and it's branches of other publishers who published pocket libraries and that's one of our very few successes.  We keep digging. ;)
Nice suggestion.
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »

HIBBARD, EVERETT E was born 08 May 1909; received a Social Security Number,
which corresponded to New York ; and died 5 November 1998.

Here
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:35:36 PM by Kracalactaka »
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 05:38:34 PM »

Ok mopee167 I just noticed this.

I need to put on my Admin stomping boots here.

NEVER, EVER publically post even a portion of someone's (living or dead) Social Security Number, Driver's License Number, passport number, etc in a public place.

I realize you must have gotten it from elsewhere on the web, but that does not mean you need to repeat the bad practice. (the old "if your friends jumped off a cliff would you" rule applies here I think.)

As a security professional I can tell you with 100% certainty that if bad things can be done with a piece of information, the bad things will be done with that information.

In this day and age of identity theft information like SSNs should never be posted.

I have deleted the portion in question.

I apologize (to everyone) about coming on so strong, but this is a serious matter and our friendly little forum (which can be viewed by anyone on the web, even without a CB+ login) should not be a place where something bad could get started. I'm sure that not too much harm could come from the SSN of a man who has been dead for 29 years, but it's a slippery slope, best we stay off it.
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »

Duly noted: won't happen again.
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:31:42 PM »

thank you Mopee

enjoy the comics
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »

E.E. Hibbard drew himself meeting the Flash in a published comic book story,
ip icon Logged

colcool007

message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 11:56:50 AM »

AP, your mention of "serious art" is appropriate, especially in the UK, where comics are still considered by many as kids stuff.  Very different in European countries and Japan.  Here in Scotland, I and my fellow fans and researchers find it very hard to dig up info. on creators especially the farther back you go.  The obvious creators like Moore, Morrison, Millar etc have attained a form of recognition, especially given that Mark Millar is never of the tv, but that's because of their success in America.  A few other creators who worked in British comics , e.g. Watkins, Bestall, Baxendale are known to a slightly larger % of the population and that, I think, is due to their work for DCT and Rupert, which is a bit of a national treasure, but for kids. Despite Dundee Uni. having a comics dept., they can shed no light on old publishers like Valentines of Dundee, who, apart from greetings cards, published a few comics.  All very frustrating. My colleague, Colin, dug up a lot of info. on Micron and it's branches of other publishers who published pocket libraries and that's one of our very few successes.  We keep digging. ;)
Nice suggestion.

And I've kept digging and digging!

The first big clue I got was when I bought a big pile of Club War Picture Library from circa 76-77. I was looking at the covers and the titles and I was thinking they looked awfully familiar. I had already been putting away some of my smaller run picture libraries and a faint recollection trickled through my mind, so I checked out the GCD database of gallery covers as that saved me digging out my issues and perhaps causing them a little more distress.

Blow me down if I didn't spot that the Sabre War Picture Libraries were twins of the Club War Picture Library. Exactly the same covers and titles. I still need to check if the internals are the same but I doubt they will vary much.

The other big clue I got was from the Club Secret Service Picture Library as one of them featured agents of S.A.T.A.N.  Now that was a run in 1966 published by Famepress. So for the stories to be published 10 years later by Med Publishing was a bit strange unless we had some sort of connection between them all.

Now going on things I have learned from other collectors and checking out indicia of many comics, the link comes down to the children's book publisher Wells Gardner, Darton & Co.

Over the years, this company's name began to appear on the indicia and usually towards the end of the run of each comic. I struggled to reconcile this until I got one salient point. In 1966, Micron went bust and owed a ton of money to their creditors.  Rather than go bankrupt, they were offered or they offered a deal of their entire back catalogue and their name in exchange for their debts.  This deal was done and as a result of this the Micron brand kept going well into the 1980s.

Now this is my theory and I stress it is a theory. From the evidence I have and sticking with the rule of KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid), I believe that Wells Gardner, Darton & Co bought up each picture library publisher as it was struggling to keep their head above water or were about to go bankrupt.

What evidence do I have? Well the fact that the war picture libraries started with their own publisher and ended up being reprinted by a company that had Wells Gardner, Darton & Co in every indicia.

The final piece of the puzzle fell into place last night as I had updated my Pocket War Library titles file to only need 22 titles to have the full run.  After I had done that, I browsed Ebay to see if I could find some more and then I spotted this beauty which was previously published circa 72/73 as Pocket War Library 103.

What also helps is that P Mar, the cover artist, is Primo Marcarini who did work for a lot of the independent Picture Library publishers. He also drew the cover for the 1962 GMS Combat Picture Annual but never did any work for Commando, which is a shame.

I hope this has been a pleasant Sunday diversion for all of you.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »

Fascinating info - thank you very much
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 05:34:17 PM »

To all who are interested, Colin is one of the good guys and his work in researching the history of these pocket libraries is invaluable.
ip icon Logged

colcool007

message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »

To all who are interested, Colin is one of the good guys and his work in researching the history of these pocket libraries is invaluable.
Aww, gorsh. You'll make me blush at this rate!

On a side note, I could not quite figure out how to add pictures. Am I missing something?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.