in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 175 - Dynamic Comics #2

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 175 - Dynamic Comics #2  (Read 5543 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 175 - Dynamic Comics #2
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:32:39 PM »

I am not sure when or how they appeared, but I found the words "Lady Satan" written on "The List".

Intrigued, and being a comic book dunce I had to do a bit of searching to locate her. Luckily, I managed to find the lady residing between the covers of Dynamic Comics #2.

The story and other content look good. So, for better or worse, my pick for this week's books is Dynamic Comics #2 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=24055. The main Lady Satan story we are concentrating on starts on our page 44.

Happy reading!!

ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
Re: Week 175 - Dynamic Comics #2
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:33:57 AM »

ok I'll go 1st

overall the book seems to be standard fare for the genre/time period. it is ok to me, but aside from black terror and phantom lady i'm not really into heroes from this era.

Madame Satan does present a striking image, I like the concept, very much a predecessor of our modern day deadly comic females like Black Widow and Vampirella.

However madame satan lost me when she sprayed the chlorine gas  "A dose of chlorine gas won't hurt them."  Ahem.... chlorine gas (along with mustard and phosgene) was widely used to horrific effect during World War I. Oh and how the heck is she not affected by it herself? The room is filled with it and she is not wearing a gas mask!

and that clown on the back cover? That is some disturbing imagery, yessiree

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 02:18:07 AM »

Krac, you are right. That back cover is right out of Stephen King. Wow. Your comments on chlorine gas reminds me of how callously they also handled atomic weapons in a few short years. Radiation? Civilians caught in a cross fire? Forget about it. Just blast away. But gas was always used in the serials in the 30's, along with cool stuff that would dissolve buildings on contact, and all lovingly put on the big screen.
Lady Satan sure looks new wave. I could see her playing bass in an all girl band at CBGB's. Nice hair. The art was probably the best in the whole book, and the plot kept things going no matter how improbable. See kids? HOGAN'S HEROES did NOT invent stupid lazy Nazis.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »

The story starts very abruptly, and doesn
ip icon Logged

John Kerry

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »

Lady Satan was a bit weird. Enjoyable, but weird. I enjoyed it but, as mentioned about, I don't think the plot got edited at all. That or the story got written as they went along, one of those late-night we have to get the whole book done by tomorrow jams we have all heard about.
Apparently someone is doing a Lady Satan movie which has some similarities to the comic. I am providing a link for anyone who wants to check it out
http://www.ladysatan.com/index.html

As for the rest of the book I quite enjoyed it. Granted at times there seemed to be some plot inconsistencies but no more than any other book from this time. I don't think anyone thought there work would be read in the next century
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 04:11:29 AM »

John: "Lady Satan" isn't the only story that seems never to have been edited. All the stories in this book are written in a breathless, almost hysterical style. All action, no logic.

"Lady Satan" is a real head-scratcher. In Germany no one knows who she is. To Fritz she's a mysterious nightclub belle wearing a mask. He's surprised to learn she's a spy. (During wartime wouldn't even thick-headed Fritz have some misgivings about a masked woman calling herself "Lady Satan" and asking to see a secret base?) Anyway, when she escapes Germany (hanging from a low-flying bomber???) everyone knows who she is. And why is a monk handing out roses in a Parisian bar? And why....aw, forget it. Now and then one sees hints of George Tuska's future greatness, but most of the art is crude with plenty of cop-outs (the hotel district is represented by one lamppost).

"Dynamic Man": Lou Fine certainly had a huge influence on Chesler artists. Here's Al Plastino, famous for his ultra-conservative 60s Superman, stretching, leaping, striking weird poses, and popping out of the panels. Tuska also shows a Fine influence. I don't understand why the gypsies wipe their captives' brains if they expect to trade them for big ransoms.

Plastino's dynamic (ha ha) layouts almost mask the fact that he cheats every big scene. Any time we need to see something he draws something else. There seems to be a Chesler Story Template: set-up introduces a Supposedly Good Guy, lots of fights follow, and to no one's surprise the S.G.G. is revealed to be the "mystery" villain.

"Dynamic Boy": This story could use some Lou Fine influence. The art is wretched. Here they don't even bother making the new mayor appear to be a Supposedly Good Guy.

"K-9": I expected the adult detective to be K-9's sidekick, but halfway through the story they introduce a kid. He's colored so light that at first I thought he was supposed to be invisible, too. No mystery villain here, just a lot of murders. And the doggie kills the bad guy! A few panels are almost well-drawn, but not quite.

"Lucky Coyne": My brain was beginning to hurt. I skimmed this one. Terry is certainly obsessed with golf. Wonder if he plays on Trump courses. Another nyahh story, muddled by the silly shtick of Lucky flipping his coin. "Go after the killers or go golfing? Ah...I'll go golfing." It strikes me as strange that Lucky speaks of "Tails" and "Head." Where I come from both words were always in the plural.

"Sgt. Bell": I'm sorry, I couldn't take any more. I scanned a page or two and gave up. I did notice that the names on the chalkboard "Ken Battle" and "---Field" look suspiciously like Ken Battefield. What say, JVJ?

Covers: When I saw the "King Kola" ad I wondered if this were another fake brand like Kooba Kola. But, no! I quickly found a "King Kola Bottling Co." in Durham, NC, circa the 1940s, and someone on a collector site posted a photo of a metal sign with this logo. Everyone's commented on the creepy clown on the back cover, but how about that barker? It looks like he moonlights molesting little girls. What an unsavory illustration!

By the way, I'm not entirely convinced that the Lady Satan movie site isn't some kind of gag. The "trailer" is a video of an old TV test pattern, and the "poster" is simply pathetic.  I didn't have the stomach to download the script sample.

Final judgement: some WTF appeal in this book, but overall, blecch.
ip icon Logged

John Kerry

message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 02:53:18 PM »

You may very well be right about that film. I clicked on the links for the cast and they are all legitimate actors and actresses. I have even seen one, Natalia Tena, as IMDB lists her as having played Nymphadora Tonks in the Harry Potter movies. None of their biographies make mention of a Lady Satan movie, and the only reference to a movie itself is for a 2015 short that bears no relation to the plot on the site.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 03:29:53 PM »

Well, I love this stuff.  It's daft, often doesn't make much sense, holes you could drive a bus through but it's entertaining, got lots of superheroes/MMM's and mostly, the stories go like the clappers. As an aside, these are more obscure heroes and a lot of my comics interest lies there.
I've read Dynamic Man stories in IW reprints so he wasn't a new one on me.  The superdoings are great fun, it's the conclusion that bothers me, in that these kidnapping gypsies get off with it because they thought the bad guy was their king. Kidnapping is a horrible crime and they should all have been jugged. And the police say at the end that Dynamis Man is always on their side.  Presumably that's why the police set the trap and capture him. None of it takes away from my enjoyment of the superheroing.
The Major Victory story is great.  He's reminiscent of Fighting American and a wee bit like the Black Terror, with a bang on the napper putting him out. That's a "dynamic" page on our page 14.  Loved that.  But, on the luggage cart, the black bag isn't black.
Dynamic Boy is new to me and I assumed when I saw the title page he'd be DM's sidekick.  Oh. look. Fluid given to the doc. by a dying lama. Then he doesn't know he can fly.  The art is awful and the word balloons don't follow in order in a couple of places. Wonderful rubbish.
K9 and it's starting to go downhill for me.  I don't like animal stories at the best of times and this doesn't change my mind.
Just don't get Lucky Coyne.  Daft gimmick and when he tells the blokes the paper was only on sale from 2 years ago, there's nothing in his hand. Eh?
La piece de r
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 04:44:30 PM »

ok Broon,

we are gonna need some translation

What does "jugged" mean as a punishment?

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »

My dear old thing  (and you're not going to get that one, so I'll say that Blowers - Henry Blofeld, recently retired and much loved cricket commentator - greeted all his colleagues with the same words ;D)
I was trying to say, lock them up and throw away the key.
Differences in languages, vernacular, slang really interest me and a friend is going to a film at the Festival tomorrow which is made in 4 languages - Occitan, French, Catalan and Gaelic. (Not sure which version of Gaelic it is). Too much for my fried napper, but we'll chat about it at our French group on Monday.  What an exciting life I have ::)
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »

ah that splains it (sort of)

still not getting the connection between this:

and a jail term, but the English language is a weird and varied place.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 01:24:29 AM »

Though "jugged" isn't American slang (as far as I know), "the jug" is a term for jail: "They caught Paw Broon stealing a copy of Dynamic Comics #2 and threw him in the jug."

By the way, do they still spell it "gaol" over there? When reading I often mistook the word for "goal" and wondered for an instant, "Why would they put him in the goal?"
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 05:48:55 AM »

The Jug = Prison
Jugged = imprisoned

I am listening to Wodehouse audiobooks and he mentions "14 days without the option". 14 days in prison with no optional fine instead. Nearly always alcohol related

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 05:52:42 AM »

We normally spell it jail rather than gaol (I think) But then I guess prison is the usual word
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 10:37:10 PM »

here in the US jail is a local institution intended for sentences of 1 year or less usually Supervised by the county Sheriff's Dept (Though some places have  City Jail)

Prison is a place run by either the State or Federal governments intended for Felony Convicts with sentences of over one year

Though many people use the two terms interchangeably, regardless of how wrong they are

(Sorry, product of a Bachelor's in Criminology)
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »

Dynamic Man - Okay.

Tell It To The... Marines - Okay.

The Mystery Of The Human Skulls - A bit grim. Could almost be a horror story.

Midnight Present - So what exactly was the point of the spies giving the baby to a stranger when the main spy could have taken it herself?

Dynamic Boy - Okay. Odd that Dynamic Boy has zero connection to Dynamic Man.

The Mystery Of The Inlaid Box - Okay.

K-9 - Okay.

Jack Potts - Cute.

Lucky Coyne - Uhhhhh... yeah... deciding what to do by flipping a coin works better for Two-Face rather than a hero.

Ticking Treasure - Not bad. Although considering the other stories in the book I kept expecting some kind of crime to happen involving the clock.  ;)

Lady Satan - Huh... was it normal to wear a mask in occupied Paris? Seems like the sort of thing that might get you more attention rather than less.

Stamp-O-Grams - Interesting.

The Green Knight - Uhhhh... wow! Dude just up and fought a vampire. Wonder what the story discussion was like? "Should we have him fight crooks, Nazis, or corrupt politicians?" "How about a vampire?" "Okay."

That's Odd! - But interesting.  ;)

Serg't Bell - Eh, sub par.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 03:29:26 PM »

Sorry for coming into this one so late, I first read it one night a month or two back.  I was suffering several gigantic insect bites that defied both anti-histamines and ice packs, and wouldn't let me sleep, so I sat up and read most of the Dynamic Comics run online. I thought I'd have another look at it when I wasn't sleep-deprived, and it's all engaging old toffee really, very little of which makes sense, though as comics are "for kids" I guess it doesn't matter.  I do have a soft spot for the art of Charles Sultan, and rather wished he had had some better stories to work on.  Dynamic Man's fey posturing seems very...camp? I find it hard to imagine the same poses on Superman.

Wikipedia tells me there are five Lady Satans, is that right? One for Chesler, one in Harvey, one briefly in Paul Gustavson's Jester for Quality, one in Holyoke, and one more recently in  Scream for Skywald.  And not to be confused with Madam Satan, either the strip in Pep comics or the film by Cecil B. DeMille. Hell's Belles just isn't in it!

"A dose of chlorine gas won't harm them" has to be my favourite line, I love the way a high-ranking Nazi officer (with a monocle yet) is so besotted by a strange foreign woman wearing a mask that he immediately allows her access to an off-limits camp.

No, as previously observed, everything in the whole comic seems to have been written "on the hoof" with no revision, and often fails to make any sense at all, yet it still manages sometimes (and only sometimes!) to exude a strange, period charm which I find appealing even when not half-asleep.   "Oi'll give it foive."

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 04:59:27 PM »

"Oi'll give it foive."  That fair takes me back.  Thank Your Lucky Stars. I had to look up info. on the programme as it brought back great memories.  Not so great was Janice's single of the same name.  I confess, I didn't know anything about the record, or, if I did, I'd fortunately scrubbed it from my memory.  But if you want to hear it, it's here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCi38LQSag
And some more info. about the show:-
http://nostalgiacentral.com/music/music-on-film-and-tv/thank-your-lucky-stars/
I loved these "pop" shows as they were the only way I could see the bands and chanters whose records I heard on radio.  Seeing the Stones (miming as I now know) to Come On was a revelation and the Mojos appeared on RSG, I think, a few years later doing Everything's Alright and that shook the juices up.  And look, it's here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8tMGdUrpLw
Sorry, a tad off-topic bit it's all K1ngcat's fault ;)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »

I am getting way behind here. Seems there us unanimous agreement on this one. It is purely wacky. I enjoy it for its notalgic wackiness. I think as a kid I would have like this before I was ten.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.