in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,780 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The smiles

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The smiles  (Read 2420 times)

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
The smiles
« on: May 29, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »

Don't know if this one belongs here, but here goes.

When I got into Marvel Comics circa 1963, one of the things that struck me about them was the corner picture of the heroes on the trademark.  Whether it was Thor, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Iron Man, or the FF, that was something DC didn't have.  I thought it was very, very neat.

And if the hero's face was revealed (as opposed to Spidey's or Iron Man's), most likely they'd be smiling.

That was a neat bit of salesmanship, I thought.  It welcomed the reader into the comic, somehow.  Thor would be giving you a big, warm grin.  Giant-Man smiled at you, holding the Wasp in one big palm.  Reed Richards smiled, greeting you as the leader of the Fantastic Four.  The Hulk?  Well, he wasn't exactly smiling, but at least he tried for a neutral expression.

"Hello there, friend.  Welcome to my comic book!  Hope you enjoy the adventures."  That's what they seemed to be saying, and I appreciated that. 

In MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER #1, after Magnus knocked the hell out of a robot that tried to censor some kids' reading material (and this wasn't a 4000 A.D. version of PLAYBOY, it was a history of World War II), he smiled at them and said, "I am Magnus!  Do not be afraid!"  As if to reassure us that, even though he could knock a robot's head off, he was on our side.

Thanks, Magnus.

But now, it's kind of hard to imagine such a thing.  Circa 1965, Marvel made Thor's corner-pic expression more fearsome, more "Have at thee, forces of evil!"  I suppose this was supposed to make him look stronger.  Well, okay.  I knew he was strong.  But didn't he know how to smile anymore?

Guses it's impossible to go back there, and I can't imagine ANY of the current bunch of heroes smiling on the cover, unless it's supposed to be a suprrise.  But I do remember the smiles from way back when, and I sure do miss them.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: The smiles
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »

Aw, they smile all the time, these days.  Usually it's when they're about to do something rebellious or obnoxious like kill a villain in cold blood, mind, but...

Oh, well.  At least we're passed every comic book character having "constipation face," for the most part.  That was a terrifying decade or two.

(Meanwhile, serious high-tech stuff, right?  I just noticed that the user profile has a spot for an actual name, so at least I'm smiling!)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:19:43 PM by John C »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.