in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 180 - Contact Comics #12

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 180 - Contact Comics #12  (Read 2843 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 180 - Contact Comics #12
« on: October 04, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »

After a massive 197 pager in "America's Biggest Comic" (and an unscheduled week off to recover) we crack on with the next assignment.

This is a recommendation from one of our esteemed number who wrote:

"skimming through it looks both fun and educational and dig that Futurama cover!"

There was no story recommendation, so I have just chosen the first one "Aerial Adventure", BUT flicking through I noticed a non-fiction story titled "Flight Class". Which teaches you how to fly a bi-plane. Something which I intend to read studiously, as you never know when you might be asked to take a crate up!

Whoops! In my excitement, I almost forgot. Here is the link to the book https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=21219.

Happy reading!!

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 180 - Contact Comics #12
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 04:07:30 AM »

This was a whole lot of fun for the most part. Wish I knew who did the art for Ace Diamond or Moon Express and some of  other titles...very nice, and the cover DID look like a Futurrama set. But wow, the IDEA of having a whole comic book just on flight...that took guts marketing wise. The flight instruction was fascinating...and I had to wonder if any kids actually did built the cockpit in the basement. Or if it got them into aviation in the long run.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 11:21:31 AM »

Nice LB Cole Cover.
Has little to do with the interior contents tho.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:49:52 AM »

Aerial Adventure - This story had potential, another rewrite or two and it could have been good. The art could have used more work as well.

Moon Express - Interesting to look back on this having seen the actual moon launches.

Rendezvous With Fire - Yow, another rush writing job here.

Instrument Approach - Short.

Ceiling Zero - Okay. On the one hand annoying that they wouldn't identify who this important figure was, on the other hand if it was who I was thinking it might be (Truman) would just open up a whole other set of problems.

Contact's Flight Class - Well, shucks, I'm ready to fly a plane now.  ;)

The Theory of Flight - One nit: "In steady, level flight, the thrust is always equal to the drag of airplane..." Technically the thrust must be exceeding drag or you wouldn't move forward, and if you weren't moving forward you wouldn't get any lift, and without lift gravity would pull you down to the ground. Crunch!

SZGY3 - Eh.

Well, it looks like the non-fiction stories were the winners this time.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 03:47:01 PM »

Aerial Adventure was as A. Panther said "Story logic really does not make much sense, but who cares." I can not put my finger on what makes the difference in a GA story that I can accept regardless and the ones that I can not. This story was fun. Rudy Palais does not seem to be that special as an artist but very competent in most of the stories that he does. He turns in good work and above average for the GA. This story was fun. I think it would have been better as two separate stories with more explanation in each. It had more potential. Clix for the cameraman sure, but Flippit for the girlfriend, huh what were they thinking.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 03:51:50 AM »

From the misleading outer space cover and the fact this is the last issue, I gather that in 1946 airplanes no longer appealed to kids the way they had during the war. Judging by the ads the publishers hoped Contact Comics would steer readers toward their newsstand magazine.

As others have pointed out, the stories are okay as long as you don't expect too much logic. The first story, Johnny Mace and Co., is the least coherent. Plenty of action, but one head-scratcher follows another. If Barrum is "the most unphotographed man in the world," how does Clix recognize him? Why did Clix have ultraviolet-sensitive film in his candid camera? Above all, what is the number-in-aspirin on Barrum's head all about? Do fifth columnists recognize their comrades by shining ultraviolet lamps on them?

The moon exploration story is interesting. They haven't yet figured out that liquid propellant is good enough for a moon flight. Comics wanted the first moon voyage to be manned. Here the writer presents the more sensible plan--the one that was eventually followed--of sending an unmanned survey craft. The line about searching for stowaways sure comes out of left field! Interesting how the rocket in page 14 panel 6 resembles the one in Frau im Mond, while the moon probe looks like the ship from Weltrauschiff No. 1.

"Ace Diamond" certainly has a high body count. Even in the rough and tumble of the 1946 middle east, I think someone would wonder why planes are being blown out of the sky. Though the art is pretty good, there's zero attempt at a sense of place. The opening caption tells us the story's set in the middle east but the artwork is set in the good old USA. Our "flying detective" (who flies wearing a suit and tie) shows no interest in bringing 'em back alive. Admittedly any Big Boss stupid enough to seek refuge on a burning oil derrick gets what he deserves.

The instructional pages bring back memories of my brief stab at learning to fly. It was my senior year in high school. Our Air Scout group met at a small local airfield. We were all air crazy, and we all signed up for lessons. I put in a number of hours with an instructor but dropped out before soloing. Lessons were expensive and I was saving for college. I never went back. I'm okay with that for the most part, especially when I look at the chaotic skies over Los Angeles. Still, sometimes...a good friend of mine was really bitten by the flying bug. He not only learned to fly, he became an aeronautical engineer, had a long career with Boeing, and restored vintage aircraft on the side.

"The Air Kids" are a dud in my book. The art is the main culprit. The story isn't written all that broadly, and super-exaggerated drawings like page 38, panel 2, are bizarre in context (nice Eisneresque shadow play in panels 3 and 4, though). More logic problems...why the heck do the kids hide in the wind tunnel when it's turned on?? I puzzled over this scene. I think the money box is supposed somehow to be suspended in the moving air. The kids emerge from the tunnel safely--unfortunately not chopped to pieces by the blades--yet the crook is afraid to go in and grab the box. It's all so confusing.

The Sky Rangers story is the most appealing because I'm a sucker for skeleton-filled caves guarded by snakes. I wish the art were better. All the other artists do a respectable job drawing planes, but our heroes' ship is  phony mess. I think this would matter in a comic aimed at airplane-happy kids. The writer really has to strain to make the story title pay off. Would a guard die with the safe's combination on his lips? Maybe he'd been repeating it to himself to commit it to memory. And how did the non-surprise bad guy decide "SZGY3" was a combination in the first place? And what is the source of the map which conveniently leads them to the cave? Too many questions...

A final word about Rudy Palais. Recently I've grudgingly admitted he did a few interesting art jobs. For most of my life I've hated him. I encountered his work for the first time at the tail end of his career. He drew one or two Charlton weird stories for Sal Gentile. I didn't know what to make of his ugly, wildly exaggerated figures and his outlandish posing. In an Alter Ego interview Palais seemed like a decent fellow, if a bit self-congratulatory. He said editors loved his stuff back in the day. He may be right. Personally, I have to struggle very hard to give him a break.

Overall the comic is a worthwhile read, with the fact stories more interesting than the fiction.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:54:11 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

EHowie60

message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:32:59 AM »

This a weird one for a couple reasons. First off we have the beautiful but almost entirely irrelevant sci-fi cover. Why is this here if the interior is all aviation themed? Second, this issue of Contact ditches the three main ongoing characters (Golden Eagle, Black Venus, and Tommy Tomahawk) who've been in the magazine since issue 1. Looks like some of the artists carried over; I don't know why the characters all got scrapped.

On to the stories!

Johnny Mace and co: what...are they looking at on the first page? They're turned away from the plane out the window. I love the face on the crook pilot on p. 8! This story sort of runs out of pages though, it wraps up very abruptly.

Moon Express: I guess this story is how they're justifying the sci-fi cover. Apparently NASA did experiment with nuclear-powered engines in the 60s but none actually flew.

Ace Diamond: still fighting fascists even post-war. What fascists were left after World War II? Franco? Anyway this one actually threw me; I expected Crombie to be the turncoat, since he was introduced and then immediate left to do something else where the main character wasn't watching.

Instrument approach: quite interesting, I don't think I've read about this before.

Contact Flight School: someone at Holyoake knew their stuff! This is quite in-depth for a comic.

The Theory of Flight: again fairly in-depth, about what you'd see in a middle school or high school textbook on the subject. Apparently the second explanation they give for lift is a common oversimplification though.

The Air Kids: Kid, Smart Kid, and Fat Kid have adventures. I'm sad that no actual pigeons were involved, because that would have made this the <b>second</b> story on this site involving pigeons with jet packs (see Rulah, Jungle Goddess #17, "The Pigeons of Flame". Seriously, check it out).

Sky Rangers: Air piracy. Because the best way to easily steal something is to put it through a plane crash first, apparently. And of course Burden is the culprit. I didn't quite understand the whole combination thing.

Over all a decent book. A few of the stories felt rather rushed, unfortunately. And the cover is still baffling, as is the decision to drop the ongoing stories.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »

A unusual old film "Death in the air" AKA "Pilot X".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h467o_zxkyw

A story that might have come from the pages of this sort of comic.

A insane WW1 ace is destroying airliners by dropping objects onto them from above. A Pyschiatrist gathers a band of mentally disturbed veteran pilots to patrol the skies to search for the madman and bring him down, certain that he is actually one of their number. Some wild twists and turns.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.