in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Meccano Magazine v25 03

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Meccano Magazine v25 03  (Read 500 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: October 11, 2017, 05:00:03 AM »

That's an interesting observation, krac. The whole magazine has a distinct pre-war feel. If this issue really hit the stands in March 1940, it was probably edited and assembled in January or thereabouts. The blackout began on 1 September 1939 and Germany first bombed Britain in October of that year. However during much of 1940 the greater part of Britain's war action was still overseas. The Blitz brought it all home in September 1940. I've read how Britons strove mightily to maintain everyday life. Maybe Meccano Magazine was just Keeping Calm and Carrying On. Anyone know how the magazine--and the toys--fared in 1941?

Link to the book: Meccano Magazine v25 03
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 03:37:05 PM »

good points Crash. I guess the full grim reality of the war had not set in yet, Dunkirk was still about 3 mos away.

Another interesting thing, on p25 there is a photo of the Chamber of Commerce bldg. in Williamson, WV which is made of coal. Unfortunately the grainy B&W photo used in the magazine does not do it justice, so here is more recent photo:

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:38:15 PM »

We were taught that at the beginning of the war not much happened on the home front and it was called the "Phoney War". By that I mean not much action, but Britain used the time gearing up. I think that austerity slowly crept in as the situation became worse
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »

BTW Meccano was by far my favourite childhood toy. I still have some around that I use to fix things. When I used to build my own computers it came in especially handy
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.