in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 181 - The Adventures of Captain Havoc and The Phantom Knight #4

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 181 - The Adventures of Captain Havoc and The Phantom Knight #4  (Read 3029 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator

After last weeks rather confusing Contact Comics, we move onto a book which must have one of the longest titles in our collection. A visit to another continent was long overdue, so we have headed to New Zealand to pick this one up from the stand.

I had flick through and it really does look intriguing. However, as this is a single story book be prepared for a bit of a reading session, or to do a quick skim. Here is the link to the book which is ...The Adventures of Captain Havoc and The Phantom Knight #4 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=27583.

Happy reading!!

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 181 - The Adventures of Captain Havoc and The Phantom Knight #4
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »

Retro goodness.
The artwork reminds me of some 60's underground comic parodies of the older sci fi comics.

I liked it.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 02:07:09 AM »

Main story - Not bad, a little simplistic, but otherwise okay.

It's a Fact - Interesting.
ip icon Logged

EHowie60

message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 01:37:36 PM »

Oooh the art in this one is fun. The flying wing, the city, the rocket. Lots of long dashes in the lettering----seems to be a way to indicate pauses. I was surprised we didn't get a panel of Eskimoto's henchmen thanking the heroes for freeing them...did they all get blown up? Also, anyone know the date of this book? 1950s?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 04:10:18 PM »

Well, that's an interesting question.  Since I uploaded the book in 2012, a tiny bit of info. has appeared.  GCD have very little on the title, but Lambiek lists the artist as Virgil Tighe - despite the artist's signature on page 3 reading C M Tighe, as it does in the 2nd of the 3 issues we have.  Lambiek note that Tighe drew alternate issues with Don Ryan - see signature in #18 - on the others, hence the difference in the art that crash noted, and they give the date as 1947 - '48.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »

I think the treachery of the henchman the Phantom knight first captured then set free was a direct reference to the War Crimes trials where every captured NAZI claimed he was just following orders and wasn't responsible for their criminal acts. The Phantom knight was just too trusting.
You just can't trust those south polarite scum.

It became necessary to completely destroy the enemy, which many during the late 40's and early 50's wished they could have done to both Germans and Japanese. In a way it was a method of excusing allied use of bombing of population areas, which our enemies had always done anyway.
ip icon Logged

jmusich

message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »

As warned the read was long. Maybe even longer because the story did not flow smoothly. However, seeing a non US take on a hero/savior character was great. Lots of cross hatching. I have to wonder what piece would looked like colored. Oh those were the times when an entire civilization nation state could pop out of nowhere. As to the point spoken to regarding fealty to the leaders orders as a excuse. Not sure it was necessarily a reference to war crimes of that period but maybe to war crimes perpetrated by an individual in any period. The invidual covering their tracks to avoid responsibility as meaning still. What jarred me the most was the total war aura around everything. Quite remindful of today
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 08:55:49 PM »

I am totally amazed this has not been used as clip art for new wave posters or Sci-fi film fests...now watch, now that I'm LOOKING for it, I'll see bits of it everywhere for the next two months. Better then the usual black and white comics and the story worked for me. Nice read.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.