in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

YOU GOTTA SEE THIS - Must See Scans Only On GAC

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: YOU GOTTA SEE THIS - Must See Scans Only On GAC  (Read 13852 times)

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
YOU GOTTA SEE THIS - Must See Scans Only On GAC
« on: June 12, 2009, 05:04:45 AM »

Hi Gang,
I was thinking today 'I bet there is a TON of fantastic scans on this site I'd never even think to check out for whatever reason.'
There should be a thread for people to point out particular favourites - artist, writers, covers, characters, anything!

Only rule - the scans have to be on GAC already - and please post a link if you know how or list the title and publisher.

So EVERYONE - PLEASE, if you've found anything on GAC that excites you enough to say 'Wow, this is great!' please post a message about it.  GAC has so many scans now we can't possibly know everything that is on the site.  I know I sure don't!

Cases in point - OtherEric's Peter Wheat books with lovely Walt Kelly art.  BingBang Buster by Basil Wolverton in Black Diamond Western.

I found one earlier today I didn't know about - that's coming up next!

-Yoc
Idea monkey
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:19:14 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: YOU GOTTA SEE THIS - Must See Scans Only On GAC
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 05:11:01 AM »

I don't know about you guys but I grew up drooling over Dan DeCarlo's Betty and Veronica.

I was thrilled to learn not that long ago he did work for other publishers as well using his trademark style.

Today, I discovered his 'Yardbirds' and later 'Wendy the WAF' for Ziff Davis' "GI JOE".

The features appear from GI Joe v1 010 to GI Joe v2 09
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:17:31 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »

I would suggest Captain Marvel #66 - Atomic War story.

This story, published in 1946, contains many elements of 1950's cold war literature.  This piece doesn't directly point fingers at the Russians, although the enemy eventually revealed sure dresses like one! The issues addressed and the timing of publication make it a fairly early example of a popular culture publication feeding the fears of Americans for the next few decades. 

It also works as an anti-war piece.  The story tells of America under attack with retalliation wiping out everyone on the planet.  Captain Marvel stands alone as he surveys the dead people and and animals everywhere.  Quite a serious and dynamic piece of storytelling from a comic usually associated with a more light-hearted approach to the super-hero genre.

It holds up well.

--Dave

HERE is the LINK for that CMA66 gang - http://tinyurl.com/ldrytn
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:09:36 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 06:10:41 PM »

Thanks for sharing that Dave!
Exactly the kind of thing I had hoped to see.

Now come on people, surely there are more hidden treasures on GAC you'd like everyone to see?!
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »

How's about those Wally Wood stories in a couple of ishes of BOY COMICS?
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 12:33:24 AM »

How's about those Wally Wood stories in a couple of ishes of BOY COMICS?

Which issues are those, DM? I don't see them listed in the Wally Wood checklist.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 02:20:36 AM »

I nominate the Dave Berg "Ghost Stories" in Bulletman #9 from Fawcett. Shades (ha ha) of Bob Fujitani...!

(|:{>

Those would be found here gang - http://tinyurl.com/maw585
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:17:03 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 02:38:34 AM »

I think I'm slightly cheating since I was the one who scanned the book.  But when I asked JVJ for Happy Comics 33, I thought Frazetta had just done funny animal stories in the issue.  So his 6-page fairy tale was just amazing to see.  Still is, actually!

----------------

Good call Eric.  And that book can be found here - http://tinyurl.com/mobfqg
People might also want to look at Happy Comics #32 for more Frazetta.

-Yoc
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:21:32 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

oldcharacter

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: oldcharacter
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 01:55:18 AM »

It's early for me to post in this topic because I downloaded so many interesting stuff and I never seem to find enough time to sit back and read everything...
BUT I found some cool stuff just the other day searching for golden age works by Steve Ditko. Following this list:
http://www.ditko.comics.org/ditko/check/ditch3p1.html (pick a title and find it back at GAC!)
This site is quite interesting about this mysterious artist, almost no pictures, no interviews, and even not being a fan of super heroes myself I LOVE his art, it has such a character...

Later!  ;)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 02:14:49 AM »

Well OC your newness does not discount your recommendation at all. I should have piped up earlier recommending two of my books. I got them because they were cool. Sparkman and Slapstick are cool books. They may not have taken the world by storm but are worth a look. And Munson P's work is soon to be referenced by JVJ. I also think Tally Ho with some Frazetta art and neat odd stories is a must check out.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 07:08:07 PM »

Of course fans of Frazetta can find several examples of his early comics works on the site just by doing a search for 'Frazetta' on the main site.
Two recent additions were very nice - Personal Love 024 and 025 by OtherEric.
Both can be found here - http://tinyurl.com/yzxd8w8

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »

27 also has a Frazetta story.  I know I've been harping on this, but don't ignore these books just because they're romance.  Even if you don't read them, go look at the pictures.  They're that good.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 01:53:27 AM »

Don't go twisting my arm now Eric. Ouch it hurts! Oh OK I'll get a Frazetta romance and see how it looks. I usually only get romances for future indexing on the GCD. Which if anyone is unaware is currently read only until the redo is complete. Kicks butt over the old site now for referencing. Hopefully when the new site is up and more stable and user friendly some of you will jump on board to help index some of these GA gems.
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 11:11:10 PM »

I've been especially enjoying Quality Comics' Ken Shannon comics.  Ken Shannon is a private eye and these are detective stories with Ken usually having to solve a murder.  The funny thing I've been noticing is how often Ken just sort of stumbles into the cases.  Rarely does he have a someone actually walk into his office and hire him.  The Ken Shannon comics also have a humorous detective series, Angles O'Day, which was written and drawn by Jack (Plastic Man) Cole.

Before that, I was reading The Saint comics put out by Avon Comics.  The early issues featured very good stories that were true to the character in the books, and makes me wonder if Leslie Charteris actually wrote them, or at least had approval on the stories. And the artist's rendering of Simon Templar bears a striking resemblance to Roger Moore, which is especially curious, considering these stories pre-dated the TV show by more than a decade!  The later comics apparently reprinted the Saint comic strip.

As a mystery reader, I was always disappointed by the relative scarcity of mystery comic books (I became interested in comics in 1978), so I'm thrilled to find these older mystery comics.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:25:44 AM by macsnafu »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 12:27:22 AM »

Mac I recommend that you read Camera Comics a variety of reporter detectives
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 01:36:49 AM »

Mac I recommend that you read Camera Comics a variety of reporter detectives

Thanks!  I see that Camera Comics is listed in the Small Press section.  I'll check it out. 

Plus, I might also mention Centaur Publishing's Detective Picture Stories for anyone else interested in detective and mystery comics.   Decent stories and art from 1936 and '37.

ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 04:07:35 AM »

Avon Comics did some interesting one-shots, including these:

An Earthman On Venus - https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=14923

Much like Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars or Venus books, but with a rather interesting insectoid twist to it. Good story and art. 

The Mask of Dr. Fu Manch - https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=18928

A fairly faithful adaptation of the book, with excellent Wally Wood artwork!

ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 01:36:22 AM »

Wow.  Lou Fine's Adam Ames comic strip is excellent!  I had to give them a "10" for my vote!

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1952

A Google search also turned up the third Adam Ames story complete at this link:

http://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2010/09/is-there-anything-finer-thursday-story.html

The blog also has the fourth Adam Ames story online as well, but I don't have the direct link.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 01:52:08 AM »

It would be great if you could pull them off and put them up here
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 01:56:26 AM »

It would be great if you could pull them off and put them up here

I've already saved the third story to my local hard drive.  I'll read up on how to upload.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 02:18:46 AM »

If you click on the folder or all the files you can make it a zip so you only have one file to upload. Then just click on the upload button at the top.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 03:02:03 AM »

Any chance you can pull of the Charlie Chan Sundays and Johny Comet does not show up on the list of sold properties from McNaught. Duke Handy and Betty Bitesize and Cairo Jones are cool. Bibs
'n' Tucker and Count Screwloose and Crosstown and Dawn O'Day should be OK for CB+. The ad strips and camel and Captain Ben Dix and Charlie Wild and Chick Young and Chip Martin and Colonel Mint ads are awesome. Cynthia by Irv Novick wow. And that is not even finishing with the D's let alone checking individual artists. Great site if you care to pick any more off or anyone else can.
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 03:10:58 AM »

Okay, I just uploaded the 3rd Adam Ames story as a zip file.  Let me know if there's a problem with it.  I'll get to that 4th story in a day or two--gotta go back to work tomorrow!

As for the others, I'll be glad to as time and interest permits.  The Charlie Chan Sundays especially sound interesting.  But I just found this site a few days ago when I was searching for Adam Ames stuff, so I haven't really explored the site much.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 03:27:28 AM »

It took me awhile just to look through the D's they have a wealth of stuff.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 03:32:38 AM »

Thanks Mac the file is now onsite and available  for download.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.