in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 155 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Buying Comics (Public Domain)

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Buying Comics (Public Domain)  (Read 2908 times)

silversabrewolf

message icon
Buying Comics (Public Domain)
« on: November 19, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »

I have been a member here for awhile,enjoy all the material the site has to offer.In April,I started collecting physical copies again..I have amassed quite a collection of public domain, and copyrighted comics,notable ones are Forbidden World's #1 6.0 grade which is public domain, and House of Secrets #1, House of Mystery #2 which are of course copyrighted. I am in search of ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN and FORBIDDEN WORLDS the earlier issues..some are hard to find. Would the owners of some issues here be willing to sell? I would pay a fair price.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
Re: Buying Comics (Public Domain)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »

You bring to fore a topic which has baffled me in its complexity regarding ethics and the very definition of "collecting." I have downloaded a good amount of comics from this site, and Digital Comic Museum.  I will occasionally marathon-read titles such as Captain Marvel, CM Jr, Marvel Family, and a lot of the Harvey Horror books.  I haven't been driven, as Silversabrewolf has, to purchase back issues from the '40's through '60's largely because I'm currently buying 40--50 new comics titles each month, several graphic albums, artist's editions, and strip collections. You can only spend so much cash, and you can only read so much at one time. 

My local Half-Price Books store has provided me with the $75.00 Dick Tracy Collected Cases for $17.00.  Creepy and Eerie Archives vol 1s for $30.00 ea.  Superman Silver Age dailies for $15.00, Fables hardcovers vol. 1--7 for $15.00 ea. and many, many more pieces.  Add in Amazon purchases and you might start to think I'm getting a little obsessive. 

What I'm getting at is I think I'm supporting the artform with my dollars.  I also will take advantage of a good sale price when I can.  I hunt on weekends.  Think of a triangle with points in Chicago, Detroit, and Indianapolis.  But I will not pay one dime in admission costs to enter a "convention" for the privilege of looking for stuff.  That puts the "con" in "convention"

So my question today to anyone who might care to comment:  What's the difference between downloading digital files of old copyrighted material (say, a run of House of Secrets) and borrowing a comic publication from a friend, or even a library?  jpegs of comic books are not comic books, they are jpegs.  They are not "forgeries" of the comics that Silversabrewolf bought because he loves and respects the physical original presentation.  To me, they are sort of like a glimpse, or a borrow.

Any thoughts?
ip icon Logged

silversabrewolf

message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »

I am in no way advocating that people download copyrighted things..Was illustrating some of my collection which some are and some arent legal to copy...I have grown to love comics again..Something missing since my childhood...I can find almost anything I desire on Ebay..And that is a big Almost..I want to complete Forbidden Worlds which are 145 Issues..Issues 16 and 21 elude me...I would be willing to pay a fair price for decent copies..I realize this is not a buying/selling site..however, with that in mind, I pursue all avenues I can in search of what I collect. Thank you. 8)
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »

Didn't mean to imply you were advocating anything.  You just rattled a thought in my mind about how to properly deal with innovation and its fallout.  I collect comics.  I get your quest.  I just collect newer stuff.  same conundrum applies to new stuff too, tho. 
ip icon Logged

silversabrewolf

message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 03:06:07 PM »

Yes..the net is certainly Innovative..I had no I dea until a few yrs ago comic series such as Forbidden Worlds existed,since then...I have been collecting like Crazy..Comics to me are pure Americanism...pure fun...I love old things...When I hold a old Comic in my hands...I am holding history..So please if anyone has what I am looking for,please respond.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 04:51:47 PM »

First things first, silversabrewolf. My pal, Wee John, has a nice collection of ACG titles, so I asked him about selling. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to part with them, and anyway he's in Central Scotland, so it might cost a bit in postage to get the comics to you.  Keep looking.  Stuff does turn up and if it turns up in the U.K., there's a better chance it'll turn up for you in the USA.  (If that's where you are)
I'm glad misappear has brought this up, as I agree with a lot of what he says.  When I go to a back issue dealer in his shop or at a mart, or, for that matter, search on ebay - other sites are available - and buy a copyright comic, no-one profits apart from the dealer, who can make a pile on some back issues, and that's fine as that's how the system works.  But the point is that the creators and publishers get sfa.
Were I to buy a disc from a dealer on-line, or at a mart or con, with that same comic in digital format, no-one apart from the dealer makes any money from the transaction.  But that latter transaction is completely illegal.
When I download an old, still copyright comic from one of the volunteer sites where the scanning and hosting is done for the love of the form, it's still illegal, even though no-one at all makes any profit from the download.
Curious to read opinions on this.
As for cons.  Well, this is where I disagree with misappear.  I'm actually going to be at a mini con in Edinburgh in a couple of weeks - special guest, Rachael Stott, artist on Doctor Who - The School of Death (Twelfth Doc. and Clara) and other tasty comics.  This one is free entry but I'd be happy to fork out a couple of quid to get in as it's also a social occasion where I'll meet some friends and bump into some folk, punters and pros, that I only see at marts and cons.  A lot of the time we'll spend in the cafe chatting about comics.  And you never know, there might be a dealer with something that tickles my fancy.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:17:58 PM »

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 07:26:49 PM »

misappear you do bring up something many have struggled with. I think the difference is a physical copy can only be in one place at a time. I sometimes think it a zero sum thing. Most people who want paper want paper. Most of those that download would not have bought anyway. I think of all the free first issues that I have downloaded that caused me to buy the series. I do buy digital. My moral compass says if downloading it keeps you from buying then you are taking money from the creators. If downloading is collecting or exploring what you would not have gotten otherwise it is what it is. Just my thoughts.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 08:03:52 PM »

I'm going into my local guy on Monday to see if he has any ACG to help.

To add to Narf's point: I've been interested in looking into Wrightson for a while.  I got a look at some early Swamp Things from an on-line source, having never read them.  As a result, I didn't buy Swamp Thing in any form, but I did get the IDW Artist Edition, The hardcover of his work from Eerie and Creepy, and the Eerie and Creepy Archives because the former two stoked my interest in the latter two.  Since a person's interest may be to learn, not circumvent, I am really starting to think that the copyright laws need a lot of reworking.  Just my opinion, tho

A few years, I had thought about collecting ACG titles in the PS Artbooks format.  About a year and a half ago, these $50.00 volumes started showing up at Half-Price Books for $12.95.  ...along with Sanctum Books Doc Savage and Shadow titles at $7.00-ish.  Before I jumped on some of these, I had mentioned said circumstances to a comics retailer buddy.  He said, "Please don't buy those.  I carry them and it undermines my investment in the product." 

Hmm.  Copyright or Public Domain, these intellectual property issues have many tentacles, and are very complex.   
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 05:21:58 PM »

buy the books

Just because some other retailier could not sell them at the over-priced original cost and they ended up at half-price books (The Big Lots of the book store industry) is not your fault, dont feel guilty. Your comic book store buddy made a business mistake obviously in buying too many of those. My LCS did too. They prob sold one at full price and and then the rest sat a couple years, now he has to sell them at a very low price, just to get rid of them. 

As for ACG the main need is in the Romance and Funny Animal/Humor titles.

BUT

DO NOT BUY ANY FOR SCANNING YET

I am going to DC to scan books at the LOC later this week, ACG books are on my list, they have near complete runs of those books.

please use the Wanted List when making decisions about what to buy for scanning:

https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=11822.0
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 06:15:53 PM »

Forbidden Worlds is PD up to the end of 1963 and we have them all, issues 117-145 are non-PD

I'm also pretty sure that those non-PD books (which at some point will become PD) have all been scanned too.

If you are looking to get hard copy books
I have seen some at some local shops in the Dayton area
if you contacted them, they would I'm sure be willing to make shipping arrangements with you:

http://www.bookeryfantasy.com/

https://www.yellowpages.com/vandalia-oh/mip/heroes-4-sale-475041061

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bonnetts-book-store-dayton

http://jackmavericks.com/general-info/

These shop's dont have an online selling site, but if you called or emailed and expressed an interest in buying multiple books and the S&H, I'm pretty sure they would square you away.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:33:02 PM by Kracalactaka »
ip icon Logged

silversabrewolf

message icon
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »

Thank you for your help..I am pleased to say which I forgot..I have the entire 57 issue run of Unknown Worlds from ACG..and I will contact the ppl from the links provided..and thank you for going to your local comic shop to help as well.
ip icon Logged

silversabrewolf

message icon
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »

I have found issue #16 which I purchased..looking hard for issue #21. To clear up any confusion, I am looking to buy physical original copies for my personal collection, I am working on a few DC series and of course the Forbidden Worlds. So if anybody has Forbidden Worlds they would be willing to sell, I would buy them..the older issues from #2-#40..I have Issue number one in a slab...looks snazzy  :) 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.