in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,021 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Serendipity

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Serendipity  (Read 3358 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Serendipity
« on: December 12, 2017, 03:57:09 AM »

ser
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Serendipity
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:06:06 PM »

36 years ago I would have named my son Kent Clark Ludwig but my wife would not go along with it. I wonder how many more comic named individuals there would be if wives would go along with it.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 05:56:20 PM »

If one would stretch a point to include Dell Gunsmoke comics, would actor Matt Dillon be included? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 03:33:35 PM »

36 years ago I would have named my son Kent Clark Ludwig but my wife would not go along with it. I wonder how many more comic named individuals there would be if wives would go along with it.

Well, narfstar, you now have more proof you married the right woman.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 10:06:23 PM »

I would say so lyons  ::)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 01:57:32 AM »

Just have to share this.
Have been binge downloading Noir movies directed by Robert Siodmak. [One is called Phantom Lady] . My latest library haul to keep me from going stir crazy in Lockdown, included a Longmire novel by Craig Johnson. [Great Netflix series - recommended] 
So, absolutely no connection, right?
So I sit out on my porch in my easy chair in the sunshine and open up, 'Next to Last Stand.' The Longmire series is a contemporary Western police procedural, if you don't know. But this one references Custer's last stand.
Longmire and his Deputy and best friend Henry Standing Bear in the best 3 way conversational summation of Custer's Last stand that you are ever likely to read, which is triggered by a Custer movie on the TV in Henry's bar.
'This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen"
'Yes, in the canon of truly horrible Custer movies, this is one of the worst.
'How do you suppose they got Robert Shaw to be in it?'
Aha!
That would be 'Custer of the West' (1967) which was directed by - wait for it - Robert Siodmak! 
For reasons I have yet to research, At the end of his career,  Robert Siodmak, up there with Orson Welles at his best, was reduced to making rubbish films in Europe. Like this one.
Here is the only doco film I could find on Siodmak, however it is 'im deutch'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5PIJ1IG_Fw
Robert Siodmak - Dokumentation - exercise

Most of his Noir films are available on YouTube and still free.

Great Siodmak story from Ernest Borgnine.
Ernest Borgnine Pt 2 - on Siodmak, From Here to Eternity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6l47VEZNMA

Custer of the West | WESTERN | Full Length | US Kavallerie Western | Full Movie | English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzuuVxQT2f8

Cheers!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 02:15:21 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 12:50:56 AM »

I wonder if anybody has ever been deliberately named after a comic character?

Nicolas Cage named his son Kal-El.

Of course when Nicolas Coppola came up with his stage name of Nicolas Cage he took Cage from comic book character Luke Cage.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 01:03:29 AM »

As you probably know, Scrounge, Cage was a huge Comic Book tragic. Had a huge collection, which he eventually sold for a lot of money.
Also, at one time, he had a determination to play Superman and took steps toward that goal. Fortunately, that never happened.

I wonder if anybody has ever been deliberately named after a comic character? 

I would prefer that to being named after a football player or team, and this has happened to certain unfortunates. 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.