in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,066 books
 New: 210 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Comics with SOCCER inside !

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Comics with SOCCER inside !  (Read 1469 times)

emile1646

message icon
Comics with SOCCER inside !
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:58:02 PM »

Hi guys,

Did you heard about comics with soccer adventures inside ?

Thanks a lot.

Emile
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Comics with SOCCER inside !
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »

There are a lot of soccer comics but, unfortunately, we can't host them on CB+.  DC Thomson had a big run of soccer pocket libraries.  Roy of the Rovers is still popular in the U.K. In the Netherlands, Kick Wilstra had his own title for years and years. And many British weeklies had various soccer strips.
I have to confess that I don't like soccer (we call it football in the UK).
Many of the soccer comics turn up from time to time on ebay, and 30th Centry comics in Putney have some in stock, I believe.
ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:41:33 PM »

We've got a whole lot here in France, if you're fluent in French: https://www.bdfugue.com/bd/selections/football
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 06:13:31 AM »

And I thought the ENGLISH comics were saturated with football/soccer! I've always loved that Mordillo cartoon on the cover of the last book.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 03:40:39 PM »

It's not only soccer. Because the UK has/had lots of different popular sports, many story papers and comics both for girls and boys featured stories about cricket, running (the incredibly popular Wilson) speedway ( the real speedway on 500cc bikes with no brakes - 4 laps of a shortish oval track), motor cycle racing, skiing, skating, horse racing, ice hockey.  Even rugby league had stories.  Speedway was very popular in the mid 20th century. 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.