in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The Cancelled 90s Wonder Woman Cartoon That Almost Happened

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The Cancelled 90s Wonder Woman Cartoon That Almost Happened  (Read 1481 times)

SantiBarrios

message icon
The Cancelled 90s Wonder Woman Cartoon That Almost Happened
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-qPuexl0hc

Did you know that there was a Wonder Woman being made in the early 90s? It's notable for being the only cartoon show that was ever being developed for Wonder Woman, also, if it had been released, it would've been the only 90s DC Cartoon that wasn't connected to the DCAU.
Would you like to see a Wonder Woman animated show at some point? I know I would.
ip icon Logged

jrasicmark

message icon
Re: The Cancelled 90s Wonder Woman Cartoon That Almost Happened
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 12:49:50 AM »

I had heard of this, but forgot about it.
But I suspect there was an earlier example of Wonder Woman getting her own cartoon solo adventures and, oddly enough, the connection is the Brady Bunch.
After the success of the Brady Bunch sitcom, as well as the success of the Partridge Family, the Brady producers decided to turn the Brady Kids into pop stars and had them churn out a few albums as well as performing some songs on several episodes.
This let them to get Filmation Studios to turn the Brady Kids into a Saturday morning cartoon series where they would perform their songs. They even recycled the Archies band animations, replacing the characters with the Bradys, but they were playing the Archies' instruments and had the exact same movements. They even replaced Tiger with a dog called Mop Top who was actually Hot Dog recolored brown.
A couple of Brady Kids episodes featured guest stars. The first was Superman (with Lois Lane), and they recycled the same animations Filmation had used years earlier on their Superman/Aquaman Adventure Hour. The next guest stars were the Lone Ranger and Tonto who were magically transported to the present by the Bradys' magical mynah bird (don't ask). Again, the animations used were recycled from Filmation's Lone Ranger cartoon of the 60s.
The next cartoon guest star was Wonder Woman. And this was before the Super Friends cartoon premiered, so it would be Diana's debut in cartoon form. Because of Filmation's track record of using recycled animations, it might be safe to assume this was true of Wonder Woman as well. Except the Superman/Aquaman show did not feature any Wonder Woman segment. Ironically, Wonder Girl WAS featured in the Teen titans segments, so she beat her sister to TV. Interestingly, the only other heroine featured was Mera in the Aquaman segments (though she was always being rescued). The first season did not have a Batman segment, because the rights were tied up with the live action prime time Batman series. Later, a Batman segment was added and Batgirl appeared in some. Interestingly, there was a Superboy segment, but no Supergirl. There was no Hawkgirl in the Hawkman segments. There was a Justice League segment, but they only used the heroes that had segments in the show (except Aquaman); Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Hawkman. No Wonder Woman or Black Canary. Maybe they made an exception for Wonder Girl in the Titans because they thought there should be more than 3 members on the team (they used Speedy in place of Robin, again because of the rights being tied up, so Speedy also beat his mentor to TV who would have to wait for a guest shot on the first season of Super Friends).
So my theory is Filmation did a sample Wonder Woman cartoon adventure for the pilot to pitch the series to the networks, but I'm betting some exec told them they didn't think kids would want to see super heroines, so that was that. But it would have left them with animation to recycle for a guest shot later.
I also suspect that the Superman and Wonder Woman guest shots on this show, as well as Batman and Robin's guest shots on the Scooby-Doo Movies were most likely the inspiration for the Super Friends and why the original junior Super Friends were just regular teens (Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog) unlike the later Wonder Twins who took their place.
Here's a YouTube video of a commentary on that Brady Kids episode with Wonder Woman: https://youtu.be/aKWJBuB1760
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 12:55:40 AM »

I've always thought that the posts on CB+ are a mind of information and you have just added to that.
Thank you.   
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 12:49:15 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-qPuexl0hc

Did you know that there was a Wonder Woman being made in the early 90s? It's notable for being the only cartoon show that was ever being developed for Wonder Woman, also, if it had been released, it would've been the only 90s DC Cartoon that wasn't connected to the DCAU.
Would you like to see a Wonder Woman animated show at some point? I know I would.

I'd be pleased to see a Wonder Woman animation. I know DC's cinematic representation of their heroes/ heroines is often criticised, but I think the Wonder Woman movies with Gal Gadot have been more successful than a lot of their other efforts. Have you seen them, and if so, what's your opinion?
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 02:42:19 AM »

I had heard of this, but forgot about it.
But I suspect there was an earlier example of Wonder Woman getting her own cartoon solo adventures and, oddly enough, the connection is the Brady Bunch.
After the success of the Brady Bunch sitcom, as well as the success of the Partridge Family, the Brady producers decided to turn the Brady Kids into pop stars and had them churn out a few albums as well as performing some songs on several episodes.
This let them to get Filmation Studios to turn the Brady Kids into a Saturday morning cartoon series where they would perform their songs. They even recycled the Archies band animations, replacing the characters with the Bradys, but they were playing the Archies' instruments and had the exact same movements. They even replaced Tiger with a dog called Mop Top who was actually Hot Dog recolored brown.

Here's a YouTube video of a commentary on that Brady Kids episode with Wonder Woman: https://youtu.be/aKWJBuB1760

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I grew up with the Brady Bunch and my favourite episodes were the ones where they sang. Who can forget The Silver Platters? I also loved The Archies. I never knew about this cartoon show. Maybe it wasn't played in Australia or maybe I was too old to appreciate it by then. And the dog is exactly Hot Dog! Thanks for sharing.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.