in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Publisher Groupings on the Download Site.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Publisher Groupings on the Download Site.  (Read 41100 times)

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Publisher Groupings on the Download Site.
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2009, 10:58:59 PM »

The Frank Communale company is possible ONLY in retrospect.

In re: Frank Comunale...

"Phil Stephenson-Payne mistakenly connects here the 1946 one-shot Chief Detective, from Blackerby, with the 1950 3 issue run from Frank Comunale. The latter is Charlton, the publishers name an Italian in-joke.

Don't call me chief.

Mike Feldman"

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ComicBookPublishers/message/319

(I just recall reading that and went looking for it...)

Actually, my memory was faulty here. Frank Comunale was the FIRST comic book company name that TCTWBC used - at least for Yellowjacket 2-5. I don't know about "Chief Detective, from Blackerby".

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2009, 10:59:50 PM »

Yep, Jim was right... I can see tiny bits of brain floating on the floor. Not a pretty sight, nope.  tsk tsk.

Nobody ever said it was going to be easy. :)

Jim's first law: NOTHING is easy.
;)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2009, 11:26:47 PM »

You are absolutely accurate, archiver,
BUT the point I will insist on trying to make is that the "printer" is not necessarily the "publisher" and that Baily was going around to all kinds of PRINTERS in order to PUBLISH his comics.

I agree that the printer isn't always necessarily the publisher, but in this case I strongly think that the material for Triple Threat was Baily produced, Charlton published "Special Action", and Holyoke printed based on the available evidence. The indicia mentions both Holyoke, Mass., and 49 Hawkins Street, Derby, Conn.  I've never seen the Hawkins Street address used outside of Charlton published material. Is there any evidence to suggest otherwise?

No, the address as far as I know is that of Charlton's printing plant, but you have to define your use of the word "published". I think there is a big difference between TCTWBC going to Baily's Shop and hiring them to fill a new book they want to publish and Baily going to a printer who (at the time) wasn't known for publishing comic books and hiring TCTWBC (but at the time was primarily a printer) to print their comic on a paper allotment they possessed.

Consider this: Santangelo and Levy had purchased their printing presses in 1940 and was building a plant in Derby to house them. By the end of 1945 (the very latest time when Triple Threat could have been printed), TCTWBC had PUBLISHED exactly EIGHT comic books. That may have taken three weeks - TOPS. Those presses HAD to be doing something else for the other 49 weeks of that year. I suggest that they were printing things for other people and one of those people happened to be Bernard Baily. Baily's titles were ALL sort of fly-by-night and he used the addresses of other printers and other "publishers" in order to skirt the edges of the law. Does anyone really believe that Swappers Women's Quarterly (or whatever it was) was actually a comic book publisher? It is pretty much agreed by historians that it was Bernard Baily.

The fact that ONE time he picked a printer that went on to become a legitimate comic book publisher in no way, IMHO, alters the probability of the working relationship that existed at the time Triple Threat was "published."

And, Yoc, there is no definitive place to put the scans of this book. Just like there is not definitive place to put Tally Ho #1. I own TWO copies of that book with TWO different "publishers" listed. How on earth can you play Solomon in a situation like that? Everything Archiver_USA says is 100% accurate. My interpretation of those facts differs from his and probably always will.

The "solution" to the attribution of perhaps 40 comics from this era will also always be subject to interpretation. I'm just one "theorists" in this. There needs to be more work done. I believe that Ken Quattro is working on a history of the Baily Shop. Perhaps he has something to add to this research. I don't envy your having to make these decisions. I don't think that there is ONE right one.

And, as you say, Croydon is an artificial "bucket" to put it in. Now aren't you glad you asked the question?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:28:55 PM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2009, 12:03:41 AM »

Yeah, who started all this trouble... let me check 4 pages back.....
It was REZ!!  Darn that man!   >:(

(Joke)

It is all very interesting.  If someone wanted to write up a new description for the book I can replace the current one.
I'm leaning towards Jim's explanation as well.  Printers really wanted those presses never to stop.  Which makes me wonder when did they get to change the plates?

Oh-oh... I sense another long discussion!
;) :D
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2009, 01:22:25 AM »

One other bit of data in support of my "theory": Triple Threat indicia says that the comic is "Published at Holyoke, Mass by Special Action...". Not one of the prior issues of either Yellowjacket or Zoo Funnies mentions Holyoke. Around April of 1946, the name begins to pop up in the indicias, as the town where they applied for 2nd class mailing privileges for Marvels of Science.

Now I'll stop talking. Here is the sound of me walking away from the can of worms... squeak... squeak... squeak... ...

ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2009, 03:44:43 AM »

Well, perhapsing as another place may be needed to land Triple Threat

I might motion that it be listed aside another appearance of
The Duke'.

Probably blows any recognition of orderly dementia out the window regarding proper placement but with only the three appearances of The Duke of Darkness, association could be considered a candidate, I suppose.

But that's just me in a bias mode since I'm on a Duke kick.
However, there is a sense of order rolling around in the idear, I think

therefore I am.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2009, 05:39:01 AM »

Duke was great, that I think we can all agree on Rez.
:)
ip icon Logged

archiver_USA

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2009, 01:04:30 PM »

One other bit of data in support of my "theory": Triple Threat indicia says that the comic is "Published at Holyoke, Mass by Special Action...". Not one of the prior issues of either Yellowjacket or Zoo Funnies mentions Holyoke. Around April of 1946, the name begins to pop up in the indicias, as the town where they applied for 2nd class mailing privileges for Marvels of Science.

Now I'll stop talking. Here is the sound of me walking away from the can of worms... squeak... squeak... squeak... ...

Actually, Marvels of Science #3 and #4 mentions Holyoke, Mass. as being the primary location just like Triple Threat.

The only "facts" so far have are the clues left in the inidicas, and based solely upon the evidence at hand, the book was published by Special Action which used the same address as all the Charlton titles up to that point. Whether or not it was a contract job submitted by Baily or material purchased outright by Santangelo/Levy would seem to be a secondary point (JVJ supporting the former and myself supporting the later). I recall someone on the Charlton Yahoo group mentioning what had turned up in the Charlton files (which included a few books printed by Charlton Press but the publisher was a third-party, Courage Comics if I recall correctly); I wonder if Triple Threat was in those files? Not that it would matter one way or another...

I'd love to learn more about Universal (Rural Home, et. al.) and Wanted (Orbit, et. al.). I've found several cases of overlap where the same people show up as owners or part-owners to companies under different "groups", in particular Evangeline L. Angel who was tied to Centaur (Comic Corp. of America, Centaur Publishing) as well as to Ace (Ace Periodicals, Current Books, Periodical House). Not to mention the Friedmans and the whole Youthful, Story, and Premier entanglement.

There is a "first layer" where titles are linked to publishing Groups, then there is a more complex "second layer" which involve what Mike Feldman calls the "money men." For the sake of simplicity I tend to tie things together by the "first layer", which may not be the reality of a situation, but it is the way things were documented in the indicias and statements of ownership. Trying to organize things by the "second layer" allows for too much by way of speculation, hearsay, and rumor (not to mention starting arguments like some of the large ones found in some of the Yahoo groups).
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2009, 05:29:59 PM »

Actually, Marvels of Science #3 and #4 mentions Holyoke, Mass. as being the primary location just like Triple Threat.

The only "facts" so far have are the clues left in the inidicas, and based solely upon the evidence at hand, the book was published by Special Action which used the same address as all the Charlton titles up to that point. Whether or not it was a contract job submitted by Baily or material purchased outright by Santangelo/Levy would seem to be a secondary point (JVJ supporting the former and myself supporting the later). I recall someone on the Charlton Yahoo group mentioning what had turned up in the Charlton files (which included a few books printed by Charlton Press but the publisher was a third-party, Courage Comics if I recall correctly); I wonder if Triple Threat was in those files? Not that it would matter one way or another...

I'd love to learn more about Universal (Rural Home, et. al.) and Wanted (Orbit, et. al.). I've found several cases of overlap where the same people show up as owners or part-owners to companies under different "groups", in particular Evangeline L. Angel who was tied to Centaur (Comic Corp. of America, Centaur Publishing) as well as to Ace (Ace Periodicals, Current Books, Periodical House). Not to mention the Friedmans and the whole Youthful, Story, and Premier entanglement.

There is a "first layer" where titles are linked to publishing Groups, then there is a more complex "second layer" which involve what Mike Feldman calls the "money men." For the sake of simplicity I tend to tie things together by the "first layer", which may not be the reality of a situation, but it is the way things were documented in the indicias and statements of ownership. Trying to organize things by the "second layer" allows for too much by way of speculation, hearsay, and rumor (not to mention starting arguments like some of the large ones found in some of the Yahoo groups).

Both issues of Marvels of Science appear the year AFTER Triple Threat and AFTER the move from 49 Hawkins St to 17 Elizabeth St. So, yes, Holyoke does come into the picture, but the 1 Appleton St. address in Holyoke is the old address of Holyoke, the comic company. It was also used later by Youthful. Does ANYONE know WHY Holyoke Mass. seems to be a common thread in so MANY comic companies? Is THIS another Printer/Publisher? And why would Charlton, who had their own presses, be registering their comics to be mailed 70 miles away in a different state?

Anyway, getting back to what we can learn from the indicias. I maintain that there is a significant difference in the wording of the Charlton books and the Special Action title.

Here is what the indicias of EVERY single comic published by TCTWBC says up to the end of 1945:

"Office of Publication 49 Hawkins St. Derby Conn."

Here is what the indicia of Triple Threat says.

"Triple Threat is published at Holyoke Mass, by Special Action Comics, Inc., 49 Hawkins St. Derby Conn."

There is a QUALITATIVE difference in those statements. How you interpret that difference is a subjective decision on your part, but there IS a difference. And when Holyoke is mentioned in Marvels of Science #1 (which also is the first, if my memory serves, mention of the "Office of Publication 17 Elizabeth St. Derby Conn.", it is in this context: "Application for entry as second class matter pending at Holyoke..." Again, this is AFTER the "published at Holyoke" statement in Triple Threat and makes no mention of "Published at" - which is the topic under discussion. This "Published at Holyoke..." statement DOES occur, as you point out, in Marvels of Science #3, at least six months after the Triple Threat indicia statement.

I understand the need to simplify the groupings of publishers, but we shouldn't ignore evidence contrary to the simplest answer. Everything TCTWBC published up to and immediately after Triple Threat was produced in the Jacquet Shop (or at Jason Comic Art). Baily produced Triple Threat. The indicias indicate a different reference to 49 Hawkins St. The books look different, the art looks different, and TCTWBC was a printer. Occam's Razor is usually a good tool, but it is not infallible.

As for Continental/Rural Home/Orbit - this is a project I would dearly love to tackle, but it's not on my priority list. Should you ever delve deeply into the indicias AND ownership Statements, call me and we can discuss it. But revisiting the project 25 years after my initial forays and risking becoming trapped in the morass again (and having my head explode) is simply not in my immediate future.

It's been a fascinating discussion, Archiver, and I understand your position on this. And I thank you and Yoc for pointing me towards the Charlton sites so I could get the facts right. I simply think that there is too much evidence pointing to Triple Threat NOT being a Charlton title. If you disagree, c'est la vie. I have always maintained that there is a tremendous amount of history we will never know for certain.

(and now I really MUST get back to work. I'm writing a "Great Unknowns" column for Roy Thomas on Emil Gershwin and trying to work with Hames Ware and Doc V. on credits for the next Marvel Masterworks volumes of Sub-Mariner and Daring Mystery, as well as trying to prepare the next issue of ImageS. This discussion has been like a bright shiny object distracting me from what I should be doing. Please carry on, but without me for a while....)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2009, 07:01:12 PM »

A fascinating discussion guys.
Wow Jim, and I thought I was spread thin!
Good luck on all the projects!
ip icon Logged

kquattro

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: kquattro
message icon
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 02:45:28 AM »

I believe that Ken Quattro is working on a history of the Baily Shop. Perhaps he has something to add to this research. I don't envy your having to make these decisions. I don't think that there is ONE right one.

You're right, Jim, I am working on a history of the Baily shop as part of a larger article. And your last line sums it all up: I don't think there is one, definitive answer to this puzzle.

I don't have time to go into my own thoughts in detail right now, but I believe both you and archiver_USA have at least part of it correct. I feel like we are the blind men trying to describe an elephant. Each one of us can describe the portion we are touching, but none can describe the entire animal.

--Ken Q
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 03:38:59 AM »

A fascinating discussion guys.
Wow Jim, and I thought I was spread thin!
Good luck on all the projects!

I have to stop and take a break on the Emil Gershwin piece. It's frustratingly difficult (and tiresome) to double-check all of the Who's Who and GCD credits for him - especially when so many are for such rare comics. I'm using this Great Unknowns piece to pin down his actual credits once and for all. Thanks eversomuch to everyone here at GAC for the scans that are proving essential to the research. It's also a blessing to HAVE so many runs of titles like True and Heroic so that I can check every issue to see if the credits are valid. Yoiks! I've been at it for over a week and haven't even gotten to 1943 and Starman yet. At this rate I'll NEVER get done.

I'm trying to convince myself that I can afford to buy the Starman Archives vol. 2, but as yet it can't be justified. $60! Double Yoiks!

I keep plugging.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 04:20:00 AM »

Should be some way to write off the purchase in your taxes as essential reference for your job as a writer no?
You are a publisher/writer etc.  Isn't there some perks to the job?
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 04:56:08 AM »

I'm trying to convince myself that I can afford to buy the Starman Archives vol. 2, but as yet it can't be justified. $60! Double Yoiks!

I keep plugging.

You can get it from Amazon for $37.79.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 05:32:40 AM »

Should be some way to write off the purchase in your taxes as essential reference for your job as a writer no?
You are a publisher/writer etc.  Isn't there some perks to the job?

LOL, Yoc,
That ONLY works IF you have some profit to write it off against. I don't make any money on my writing and already have way more "expenses" than I need to assure that I don't pay any taxes.

Although, now that I think about it, I will have some profit in 2009 from the sale of my Zap #1 and AF #15. Hmmm...

Thanks for the thought.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 05:34:51 AM »

I keep plugging.

You can get it from Amazon for $37.79.

Yeah, Jon,
I've still got to come up with $37.79 though...

hmmm, isn't there some money in the JVJ Postage Fund? Naw, best not to go down THAT path.

ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2009, 05:36:17 AM »

I believe that Ken Quattro is working on a history of the Baily Shop. Perhaps he has something to add to this research. I don't envy your having to make these decisions. I don't think that there is ONE right one.

You're right, Jim, I am working on a history of the Baily shop as part of a larger article. And your last line sums it all up: I don't think there is one, definitive answer to this puzzle.

I don't have time to go into my own thoughts in detail right now, but I believe both you and archiver_USA have at least part of it correct. I feel like we are the blind men trying to describe an elephant. Each one of us can describe the portion we are touching, but none can describe the entire animal.

--Ken Q

I await with bated breath your insights, Ken.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 08:59:49 AM »

I would want to see a copy of Starman Archive 2 before I bought it in any case; the reviews on Amazon suggest the reproduction is horrible.  Normally I can work with that to some degree, but this one sounds like it might be Marvel Mystery Masterworks #1 all over again.

Then again, if you need it for research, it might be worth it anyway.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2009, 05:26:59 PM »

The second Starman Archives had much different reproduction than other Archives.  It looks like it was printed directly from high resolution color scans.  Earlier Archives were all printed by extracting the line art, retouching, and recoloring. 

Whether that's better or worse is a matter of opinion.  Some people like the more authentic looking scan.  EMMV.

ip icon Logged

crimsoncrusader

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »

According to the Standard Guide to Golden Age comics Triple Threat Comics was published by Gerona Publications.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2009, 12:04:35 AM »

According to the Standard Guide to Golden Age comics Triple Threat Comics was published by Gerona Publications.

Thanks cc,
but Gerona is just another "catch-all" company used to denote Bernard Baily book. There is no information in the indicia of Triple Threat to support Gerona any more than there is to support Croydon. As archiver_USA points out, the ONLY information in the indicia is the address: 49 Hawkins St. Derby Conn.

As I've said, we humans continue to try to organize things - even when there is no real hope of getting it right. Welcome to the can of worms. How do you like your segments?

ip icon Logged

markseifert

message icon
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2022, 01:39:11 PM »

The Frank Communale company is possible ONLY in retrospect.

In re: Frank Comunale...

"Phil Stephenson-Payne mistakenly connects here the 1946 one-shot Chief Detective, from Blackerby, with the 1950 3 issue run from Frank Comunale. The latter is Charlton, the publishers name an Italian in-joke.

Don't call me chief.

Mike Feldman"

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ComicBookPublishers/message/319

(I just recall reading that and went looking for it...)

Actually, my memory was faulty here. Frank Comunale was the FIRST comic book company name that TCTWBC used - at least for Yellowjacket 2-5. I don't know about "Chief Detective, from Blackerby".

Regarding Frank Comunale:

Apologies for adding to a very old thread, but this is just about the only place on the internet that has any info on this subject at all, and I have a couple of additional crumbs to add to it.

I'm not completely sure if Feldman's comment is meant to imply that Frank Comunale is not a real person, but he was a real person, and it is confirmable that Frank Comunale was the head of the Frank Comunale Publishing Company of New York:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/104322090/newsday-suffolk-edition/

In addition to the Detective Parade 1945 pulp one shot, and the short lived 1950 version of Chief Detective (both of which were published via a NYC address), Comunale was the editor and publisher of Il Mattino d'America, a NYC-based newspaper with editions in both Italian and English.  I think I'll eventually find other ventures by Comunale.

Frank Comunale Publishing Co is not an imprint of Charlton, in my opinion.  Given the indicia address and the time frame, I think it likely that like many newspaper (and other) publishers of this period, Comunale was induced into using his paper quota to make a brief foray into comics.

Anyway... while I don't think it's wrong to group Comunale in with Charlton, he had his own independent publishing company, and I think further digging here will enhance the history of Charlton's origins.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.