in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Numbering Problem

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Numbering Problem  (Read 5431 times)

Rajah

message icon
Numbering Problem
« on: September 27, 2009, 12:01:42 AM »

Hi, guys. I'm looking for some help. I've scanned an issue, Golden Arrow #5, into my computer, numbered all the images, and created a zip file. But when I change the zip file to a cbz file, all the images are out of order. For the life of me, I can't figure out why because when I change it back to a zip file, they're in the right order again.

The file name format I'm using is GoldenArrow5_01, GoldenArrow5_02, etc. I'm guessing my computer doesn't understand double digits and is putting pages 010, 011, and so forth at the beginning with page 01. Is there a way around this? Why can the zip file order them correctly but the cbz can't?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:03:55 AM by Rajah »
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Numbering Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:36:41 AM »

yes different programs sometimes sort files differently.  Some programs like Irfanview when you ask it to sort files gives you your choice of sort type.  The two main sort types are "aphaumericalbetic"
and "numerical" (I made those names up)

Numerical will treat a number at its numerical value ignoring leading zeroes.  So 002 sorts after 01.

The other sorts just lie a dictionary so that 002 sorts before 01.

The way to make sure this works in both sorts is to make sure that your numbers all have the same number of digits.

Use Big_All_American_001 002 ... 010 ... 099 100 ...etc
not Big_All_American_1 2 3 ... 10 11 .. 99 100 ...

In your case you want page 10 to be just 10 not 010 etc.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 01:43:56 AM »

Putting a space in place of the _ might take care of the problem because unless you go over a hundred pages two digits should work fine with just one leading zero. I also highly recommend Rowena. Hope the move to more pages for $9.99 works well so things can continue.
ip icon Logged

Rajah

message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:14:15 PM »

Thanks, guys. Using just two digits instead of a 0 in front of each number fixed the problem. The issue has been uploaded.

Narfstar, thanks for the kind words about Rowena. Femforce is guaranteed for at least a few more issues. After that, it will depend on sales so please help spread the word if you are enjoying the book.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »

I know they are going at least through 150 and hope the sells are good enough for Diamond. I have been a FF fan since issue 1 but honestly Rowena has become my favorite feature in the book. So I invite all the GAC members to give it a try. Femforce/Gargatarama has a large size anthology approach much like the golden age books we all like. Also lots of good girl art we all enjoy  ::)
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »

Similar problem. Running Mac OSX.

I named the files:

FIRST BOOK:
DofDrkns00KO1Oct45.jpg
DofDrkns01KO1Oct45.jpg
etc.

SECOND BOOK:
DUKEDK00.jpg
DUKEDK01.jpeg  <<--- for some reason, it's "jpeg" instead of "jpg"
etc.

THIRD BOOK:
E01.jpg
E03.jpg
etc.

They display in the File Finder thing correctly, sorted by name, but when I ZIP them, they get ordered as SECOND BOOK, FIRST BOOK, THIRD BOOK.

Ideas?

BTW, it's a compilation of all three appearance of "The Duke of Darkness" in case anyone was wondering. Fascinating, I'm sure.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 11:38:15 PM »

Hi Roy,
Sure it's a worthy project!  Duke rocks!

My suggestion -
(Rename them all to jpg if that works better for you)

I'd just number the files at the start ie -
01-Book1-DofDrkns00KO1Oct45.jpg
15-Book2-DUKEDK00.jpg
20-Book3-E01.jpg

This way it doesn't matter what the file name is after the number and should read in the proper order no matter what OS or app you use.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »

To explain the problem as well (and briefly) as I can...

When computers sort things, they use simple rules.  Basically, it starts with the first "character" (letter, number, symbol, or space) of each name, and compares their numerical values.  If any are the same, it moves to the next character for comparison.

Numerical values?  Yeah.  If you've ever dealt with an "ASCII chart," you already have a basic idea of what's going on.  In short, values run as follows:

- Spaces of various kinds,
- Most keyboard symbols,
- Numbers,
- Capital letters, and
- Lowercase letters.

If you're a UNIX/Linux kind of guy (maybe Mac at the command line), this is the layout you see.

If you're a DOS/Windows person, you know that those systems are "case insensitive," which means that the lowercase letters "pretend" to be uppercase when sorting.  This is also what you'll see in most software, just FYI.

In more sophisticated systems (Windows Explorer, for one, and probably the equivalents on other systems), they've added the additional idea that runs of digits are probably large numbers and should sort as such.  So "5" comes before "09" and "12," even though "5" comes later than either "0" or "1."

BUT most software isn't that intelligent.  The reason, frankly, is that when you program, you get support for an "easy" sort, but need to program the numerical approach yourself.  So nobody really does.

That means that you want to make the structure of your names as similar as you can tolerate.  It doesn't matter if you start with "001-Title of Comic #001-Page 001.jpeg" or "001.jpg" as long as everything else you put in your archive has the SAME structure.

(And yeah, "jpg" and "jpeg" are interchangeable.  JPEG is the name of the standard, but old DOS/Windows machines could only have a three-character extension, so the 'e' often drops.  Technically, if the software is written correctly, the extension shouldn't even matter...but the problem is that very little software is written that correctly.)

One last point.  If you're on a Mac, the archives generally include the "resource fork," which is the operating system's information about the real file (the "data fork").  You can't see it, but everybody else sees a folder named ".MACOS" that irritates programs like CDisplay.  It's harmless, but tends to shock people.

I point this out because there may be an "exclude resource fork" setting somewhere.  If there is and we could identify it, I know that would make a lot of people very happy.

I hope that helps and doesn't make things seem more confusing than they already were.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 06:35:26 PM »

Yes, John is correct on the extra Mac file.  If after the zip file is created you could delete the .macos file life would be much nicer for the average downloader.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 06:57:06 PM »

I'm not sure if that folder is visible on Mac machines, so asking people on that side to delete it is only going to be frustrating.

If you look in one of those .macos folders, you'll see that it has the same structure as everything else in the archive.  On the Mac, both halves are considered part of the file, and you can't really have one or the other.  It would be like asking Windows users to not include the filename extensions.

The only fix would be a configuration option to the effect of "ignore resource fork" or "exclude parent" or something.  Unfortunately, the last time I touched a Mac was at least ten years ago, so I couldn't begin to guess at where that might be.  And the web isn't turning up anything of interest, either.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »

Well, Roy will have to get a copy to Narf or myself for uploading anyways.
Hopefully we will remember to check the file and delete mac file before uploading!
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 03:40:26 AM »

A "trick" I found on the Mac for basically renaming a whole bunch of files automatically:

Select the files you want to rename, right-click and choose "Automator"/Create Workflow. Once you're in Automator, select "Rename Finder items" from the second menu ("Action"). You can replace text, number sequentially, add text to the beginning or end of a file name, etc. Sweet.

I've done this a lot lately in preparing an archive so that all the jpg files are properly sequential.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.