in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Family, Friends and Loved Ones

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

topic icon Author Topic: Family, Friends and Loved Ones  (Read 40879 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Family, Friends and Loved Ones
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:20:32 AM »

Several have posted in the Pets thread. This forum has been one of the friendliest on the net. So here is a place to share with our internet family. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Family, Friends and Loved Ones
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:37:55 AM »

I am a 53 year old high school math teacher. The wonderful people here were very sympathetic when my mom passed away on Dec. 23rd 2010. She had a stroke in her sleep and went very peacefully. She was a wonderful Christian woman. She was one of those wonderful mothers who loved her children unconditionally even when we did not deserve it. I was not an easy child to love. Her youngest son was an alcoholic but she never gave up on him or stopped praying for him. He was told by a Doc that he had pancreatitis and had to stop drinking or die. He has two sons so he quit drinking. He has been sober around ten years. My nephews have turned into two fine young men.

My mother was the last of her siblings to pass. Her brother Glenn was first with colon cancer. He had been an alcoholic who became a Christian a few years before passing. Aunt Susie was next living into her 80's. She was the oldest then Glenn then my mom. Her husband is still alive a retired coal miner. Aunt Susie suffered a lot of health problems. Aunt Pearl had heart problems since a young age and went next followed three years later by Aunt Anna who suffered brittle diabetes for many years. All were very sweet loving Christian ladies.

ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:57:32 PM »

I am a 53 year old high school math teacher. The wonderful people here were very sympathetic when my mom passed away on Dec. 23rd 2010. She had a stroke in her sleep and went very peacefully. She was a wonderful Christian woman. She was one of those wonderful mothers who loved her children unconditionally even when we did not deserve it. I was not an easy child to love. Her youngest son was an alcoholic but she never gave up on him or stopped praying for him. He was told by a Doc that he had pancreatitis and had to stop drinking or die. He has two sons so he quit drinking. He has been sober around ten years. My nephews have turned into two fine young men.

My mother was the last of her siblings to pass. Her brother Glenn was first with colon cancer. He had been an alcoholic who became a Christian a few years before passing. Aunt Susie was next living into her 80's. She was the oldest then Glenn then my mom. Her husband is still alive a retired coal miner. Aunt Susie suffered a lot of health problems. Aunt Pearl had heart problems since a young age and went next followed three years later by Aunt Anna who suffered brittle diabetes for many years. All were very sweet loving Christian ladies.

Interesting, Narfstar!
I'm 59, almost 60, and taught high school math a couple years (1978-1980).

Re coal-mining, are you from W. VA or Penn.?
I'm from western VA, from (non-professional) working class background.
My dad was a millwright. His father was a iron/steelworker. His father's father died in a saw mill accident. His great-grandfather was a farmer / farm worker. He or an earlier ancestor came over from Germany as an indentured farm worker.

Best,
Bob
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:25:25 AM »

I am from PA. My Grandfather came over from Germany as a kid with his family after WWI. My dad was a jack of all trades carpenter. He could build a house from the ground up. For around 30 years or so he was maintenance man for a small town. Everything from taking care of the roads to chlorinating and montoring the water supple. PA is very different from TN where I live now. Within a county you may have a couple city governments in TN while in PA every 5 people (an exageration) is a taxing government body. Within a county you have boroughs and townships and several other groups all taxing the heck out of you. I am much happier in TN. My dad finally fully retired around a year or two ago. He still keeps busy working on a building he built on some property that he bought. He keeps doing more and more to it because he has to be out doing. He is a month older than my mom. He is 74. They were divorced since I was two.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 03:27:29 AM »

I've often thought the same about this forum. Even when some troll posts something about how offended they are by the horrid fiche files, they are kindly reminded that they are free. I think the main reason is that the people here are more mature. Not just chronologically but emotionally as well.
I'm 39, and have been a customer service rep for 10 years at the same company. I lost my mom to a stroke back in '99. My dad died of chronic congestive heart failure (after two heart attacks and two strokes) in '97. My older brother died a week before him in his sleep of heart failure.
My dad served in the 8th Air Force in WWII. He was a radioman on a B-17. By the time I started getting interested in military history, he had his first stroke and couldn't speak well so he wasn't able to share much with me.
My mom grew up pretty poor during the depression. It was just her and her mom as her dad cheated on her mother and her mom kicked him out.
My brother was in the Marine Corps in the early 70's. He was the kind of person that was the life of the party. His nickname was "Chuckles" or "yuk yuk" due to a very distinctive laugh. You could watch the most depressing movie with him and laugh your butt off.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 04:53:34 PM »

My mom passed away overnight.  :'(

I expect to be a bit off kilter for a bit.

B.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »

Sorry to hear that, boox.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 08:39:05 PM »

Same here, boox.  God bless.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear this boox.   :'(
I'm extremely close to my own mom and I can imagine the loss you must feel.

Hang in there, we're here for you.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »

Sorry to hear about it Boox I feel for you
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »

Yeesh.  I'll join the chorus of people who are sorry to hear about your loss and wish there was something actually useful to say in these situation.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:56:01 AM »

Having just gone through it there is nothing special to be said it is just special to know there are so many willing to say something. Each comment is heartening.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 05:29:23 AM »

Thanks so much for your kind words folks.

This has been a frick'n long day, arrangements, phone calls, family and friends...oy.

I'm getting ready for bed...hopefully my mind can slow down long enough for me to get to sleep.

Thanks again.

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 03:55:50 PM »

Take a couple generic benedryl It is the same ingrediant as most OTC sleeping pills
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 01:28:17 AM »

So sorry to hear about that. My mom died suddenly as well. What helped me through were my friends and family. Take it one day at a time.
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »

Sorry for your loss Boox.

My mom's husband was given 2 weeks to live, so we went up to see him last Saturday, so my kids could say their good-byes. I feel so bad for my mom, having to watch him fade away.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 04:37:20 PM »

Sorry for your loss Boox.

My mom's husband was given 2 weeks to live, so we went up to see him last Saturday, so my kids could say their good-byes. I feel so bad for my mom, having to watch him fade away.

That is a tough situation. My best to your family.  :(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:58:49 PM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 05:23:11 PM »

Sorry to hear that. My prayers are with you.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29:52 PM »

My prayers are also with you and your family Jed. Having just gone through it. It takes a family
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 03:14:52 PM »

Thanks all. The support is appreciated.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 03:59:22 PM »

Don't really want to trouble anyone with my problems but they prey on the mind and eat into time.  My sister has been diagnosed with osteoarthritis just at the time when her husband was told he had cancer, had a major operation and shortly after, as he seemed to be doing well, he suffered a series of small heart attacks.  Doctors caught him in time and as a result of all the tests he had, discovered he also had diabetes. Then, my wife's aunt died.  She was Linda's late father's last surviving sibling.  So it was a rush getting flights to Cardiff and hotel booked to attend the funeral.
Also, an ongoing problem with my brother in law, who has M.S. has got quickly worse and he has been in and out of hospital for all sorts of assessments and is now in a wheelchair as well as all his other symptoms with memory loss and speech deterioration. So sad.
Not an easy time, rushing about like a blue arsed fly.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »

Don't really want to trouble anyone with my problems but they prey on the mind and eat into time.  My sister has been diagnosed with osteoarthritis just at the time when her husband was told he had cancer, had a major operation and shortly after, as he seemed to be doing well, he suffered a series of small heart attacks.  Doctors caught him in time and as a result of all the tests he had, discovered he also had diabetes. Then, my wife's aunt died.  She was Linda's late father's last surviving sibling.  So it was a rush getting flights to Cardiff and hotel booked to attend the funeral.
Also, an ongoing problem with my brother in law, who has M.S. has got quickly worse and he has been in and out of hospital for all sorts of assessments and is now in a wheelchair as well as all his other symptoms with memory loss and speech deterioration. So sad.
Not an easy time, rushing about like a blue arsed fly.

You have my deepest sympathies. Many of us have been suffering a whirlwind of family sadness. It is why I now say "Hold your loved ones tight, and keep your friends in your heart." The brevity and delicateness of life truly is a thing of awe.

B.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »

I can relate to the pain, folks, having lost a few close people already this year myself and shared the grief of losses experienced by several close friends.

The greatest gift you have is the NOW. Use it to tell those you care about that you love them. It's why it's called the "PRESENT".

Don't put contact off just to download or scan one more comic. Since my brother-in-law died in February, causing a grief I NEVER anticipated, I've been more in touch with my family that ever before. As we get older, it just becomes more constant. Be strong and be there, paw, it's all you can do.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:23 AM »

I pray the Lord gives you the strength and comfort you and your family need at this time Paw. We were made to be temporary it is just so hard to accept that fact some times more for those we love than for ourselves.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 03:44:19 AM »

I lost my older brother and dad within two weeks of each other back in '97, just a few months before I was married. My mom died a couple of years after that. It really puts things in perspective. I NEVER let a day go by that I don't tell my wife and daughter that I love them. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and I hope you can find some comfort.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.